Shady Scrap Yard

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Sold some scrap metal to one of the big yards in Houston last week and decided to actually look at the receipt this morning.

That last sentence....lmao!
Beside the fact that the court has upheld the fact police can lie to you in a sting or otherwise....why would your "legitimate" business have customers acknowledge this? Now the issue exists that when these guys get popped for whatever shady dealings they have going on, am I going to have TxDPS kicking down my front door because I sold these guys scrap? FML...

20181107_101803.jpg

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
This reminds me of the crap dealerships do where you sign the buyers agreement saying you're good with the price at X months if financing and other details come through. It's by no means legally binding if you back out and walk away.

I think this and the statement you posted are supposed to incite some sort of fear/reluctance on behalf of the consumer/seller of scrap.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Sold some scrap metal to one of the big yards in Houston last week and decided to actually look at the receipt this morning.

That last sentence....lmao!
Beside the fact that the court has upheld the fact police can lie to you in a sting or otherwise....why would your "legitimate" business have customers acknowledge this? Now the issue exists that when these guys get popped for whatever shady dealings they have going on, am I going to have TxDPS kicking down my front door because I sold these guys scrap? FML...

View attachment 1527341

LOL, have you ever been to a scrap yard that wasn't shady?

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I sell large, high capital cost equipment into the scrap business. Cash before delivery folks... I have many stories about these guys. This industry has given me my PhD in terms & conditions and how to NOT get screwed from them. Some folks are great, and are why I continue to work hard for them, others are shady bastards who I wouldn't mind seeing get busted.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
i would say the scrap yard isn't the one being dishonest or shady.. it is the person selling the scrap..

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
LOL, have you ever been to a scrap yard that wasn't shady?
We have a legit one here. They take your license, document everything you bring in and will 1099 you. I choose the shady one to avoid the 1099. But Man does that lomp eared wombat running the excavator scare the shit out of me.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Id only be worried if you sold them hazardous waste. The RCRA Act allows the EPA to come after the yard owner, the generator and the trucking company who hauled it. From the "cradle to the grave" per say for hazardous waste generators.

I was at a project in the Baltimore area building a rail yard for a berth in the port of Baltimore. The area was a huge parking lot for new cars fresh off the boat from a few large manufacturers. The area before being owned by the port administration was owned by a company that was in the ship breaking industry and had a scrapyard on site.

Long story short, the guy was shady as hell. Would take in hazardous materials, store them on site or dump them into the Baltimore harbor. He got a huge contract with the Navy over breaking up an aircraft carrier and decided it was a good time to dump asbestos, PCB's and large quatities of lead over the side of the ship instead of disposing of them correctly. The EPA busted his ass and everyone they could find who illegally dumped on his land. He ended up in prison(and died in prison too) and the other defendants got large fines. His family sold the property to the port who is still dealing with the guys hazardous waste problem 20 years later.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
We have a legit one here. They take your license, document everything you bring in and will 1099 you. I choose the shady one to avoid the 1099. But Man does that lomp eared wombat running the excavator scare the shit out of me.

here they pretty much have to id, fingerprint etc...I dont know of any that will 1099 you but most of them are still shady. I know the one near us, you better keep an eye on the weights or some of it will disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread