Shelby GT 500 on Top Gear..

Fourcam330

Established Member
That's a decent breakdown but the disparity in the quarter between the two is greater (with equal drivers) than you admit to.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
That's a decent breakdown but the disparity in the quarter between the two is greater (with equal drivers) than you admit to.

So 4cam, do you still think someone will hit 11's bone stock in one of these?

F8L SN8K

Established Member
dgussin1 I will agree with e 6 mph as the make extra power which dictates trap speed.

My 03 cobra runs about 2 tenths slower as your shelby with my 60 ft being a tenth slower on et streets. but you trap 5 mph faster. (not much track/seat time in the 03 when i ran it.)
different days, different drivers.
I havent seen a same day/same driver test yet. BUt would love to see one happen- stock to stock and modded to modded.

MM&FF best in a stock shelby 12.25 and 12.38 in another different cars/tracks/days same driver. The best they ran in a stock 03 was 12.43. 12.5-somthing different day, same car

I know most people dont put a lot of stock in what magizines print but I believe MM&FF has the most un-bias opinion of them , they are true gear heads there and Evan Smith can flat-out drive the wheels off things. I get to watch him at the US nationals in INDY in project "stocker". WOW

Its not the gossple written truth that every 03 will be exacatly 2 tenths slower then a gt500 just somthing I notice in track times. It is pretty close in some cases others not so much. Hey some cars are factory-freaks. some respond to mods better then others, there are just way to many varibles that come into play with comparisons.

I would love to see a shotout between the shelby and the 03/04 have both stock and modded, and you could call it Cival War II battle for " King of the Snake Pit" (hint,hint magazine guys) Bring in the evolution guys and their 9 sec. black ride, and the strictly performance guys and there 9 sec. yellow 03. I'd be there to compete if they would let me.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
That best MM&FF time came in cool air, the GT500s did not. Hopefully we get a same day, same driver, comparison to put this issue to rest finally.

As for a modded comparison, in order to make it as fair as possible the GT500s will need more time for mods to develop. Afterall, the terms have come a long way in the past 4 years. Still even if we didn't wait, the GT500 would come out on top.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
So 4cam, do you still think someone will hit 11's bone stock in one of these?

I still think that either this spring or fall someone will run the number. Last year wasn't much of a real measure seeing that only a handful of cars made it to the strip.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
That best MM&FF time came in cool air, the GT500s did not. Hopefully we get a same day, same driver, comparison to put this issue to rest finally.

As for a modded comparison, in order to make it as fair as possible the GT500s will need more time for mods to develop. Afterall, the terms have come a long way in the past 4 years. Still even if we didn't wait, the GT500 would come out on top.

Your right on the cool air thing. It doesnt state what the temp was for the 12.38 pace in the shelby. they just said it was typical jersey weather early october air(which is in a mine shaft and both cars tested there) but I do recall it was colder for the 03. The GT500 isnt much different then the 03s. people learned how to make the 03s fast and the same principles apply yo the shelby just have to wait for parts to materalize. And I dont think one could come up with a 100% clear-cut winner(but no-one ever will on anything) pete misinsky went 10.0s in a his 03 less then a year of the cars debute with a kb-intake-exhaust-et streets, skinneys and automatic trans(not sure that helped it run faster), all else stock. 9.9s with small hit of nitrous. evoulution did suspension, pulley, nitrous, ported eaton, gears, exhaust, intake, slicks and skinneys. and went 9.9s. I dont remeber how fast strictly as gone on the stock long block something around 9.7. now they have a stroker with ported heads yadda-yadda-yadda and is mid to low 9s I think?.Because once you get to a certain point it takes major changes to get faster. like a brick wall. at a certain point you start to make double the power to get the same return, deminishing returns, where 20hp used to make it go X-amount quicker you now need to had 40hp to get a simular effect. and evolution now has a kb and and built motor, and hopes to run 8s but I'm sure they will find that to be much more difficult then it looks on paper has they are at the same wall I imagine. so again I say it would be a good slugfest. just the 03 guys have a more tuning time to see what makes power in the tune over the last 4 years. but past ongoings with 03/04s give a great insight on what works on the supercharged 4 valve cars. but the trick is in the tune but power doesnt seem to be the problem for either car,AMEN I love the mod motor.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
look how long it took ranger to get his amazing times in the Z. come on guys, give it some time. if your looking to compare the absolute fastest times of these cars stock then we're gonna have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread