Shelby GT 500 on Top Gear..

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
1.30 isn't too bad around that track. 1.25 is fast, 1.22 is MOVING out, 1.17 is the track record from the CCX, and .59 from an F1 car.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
yeah they goof up on stuff on this show but I still like the show. Its halarious. I have to agree with them a little. Ford dropped the ball on the handling of these cars but the seond build and 08s are suppose to tweaked a little more. but you will never be able to get great handling out of a car that weighs 4000lbs with most of its weight over small front tires with large rear tires pushing the car straight. What does ford do? lets make the rear handle worse with a sway bar so you dont notice that the car is a plow horse(has much) but hey most americans dont car if the car can turn. Just as long as it can go straight real fast, stop well enough to keep you from totalling the car, and turn corners in town at the stoplight. I fall into a little of both atypical american that like to go autocrossing, a well rounded package, and enjoys watching F1 WAY more then b.s. nascar. but I will always be a drag racer.(hopefully professionally soon)

chuckstang

Established Member
F8L SN8K said:
yeah they goof up on stuff on this show but I still like the show. Its halarious. I have to agree with them a little. Ford dropped the ball on the handling of these cars but the seond build and 08s are suppose to tweaked a little more. but you will never be able to get great handling out of a car that weighs 4000lbs with most of its weight over small front tires with large rear tires pushing the car straight. What does ford do? lets make the rear handle worse with a sway bar so you dont notice that the car is a plow horse(has much) but hey most americans dont car if the car can turn. Just as long as it can go straight real fast, stop well enough to keep you from totalling the car, and turn corners in town at the stoplight. I fall into a little of both atypical american that like to go autocrossing, a well rounded package, and enjoys watching F1 WAY more then b.s. nascar. but I will always be a drag racer.(hopefully professionally soon)

Interesting, so does your 99 or 03 handle well? Because guess what, the GT500 out handles both.

Dave07997S

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Interesting, so does your 99 or 03 handle well? Because guess what, the GT500 out handles both.

Wow Chuck..you really should stick to decaf..:-D He never compared his 99 or 03 to the GT500, he just stated some pretty obvious facts.

Everything he said is somewhat correct, that's what the aftermarket is for. I too never understood why would you put 255 front tires on a car that has a 57/43 weight split and weights 4000lbs. That baby as Bruce pointed out needs at a minimum 275's on the front of this beast if you expect it to do OK on a road course. I would do 275's and a bunch of neg. camber. and a nice GC kit. Which is something the Top Gear people didn't mention, is the aftermarket potential of this car.

Dave

Dave07997S

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
1.30 isn't too bad around that track. 1.25 is fast, 1.22 is MOVING out, 1.17 is the track record from the CCX, and .59 from an F1 car.

Did you see the M3CSL did 1:28 in the wet with Pilot Sport Cups!! That Stig has balls..

Dave

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Dave01M3 said:
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e46m3/8288921-1.html

Don't have the direct link to you tube..sorry.

They had a lot of things wrong..for one the car made 447rwhp and they said it was down on hp..also they said the brakes weren't upgraded..etc. Watch the video and you will see.

Dave

447 with ~15% loss = around 525 at the crank? Looks good to me :pepper:

bubbrubb

03 DSG Snake said:
447 with ~15% loss = around 525 at the crank? Looks good to me :pepper:
I'd love for them to have a reality check by putting one of their tried and true favorites onto the dyno.. of course, then they wouldn't have put that section into the show :loser:

The show is good for entertainment only. Its funny so long as you don't have any personal investment into the cars they're driving, and even then, we shouldn't take ourselves that serious. That said, they follow the comedian's rule of "don't let the facts get in the way of humor" more than they should.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Nice find.

It definitely looked a bit outta shape in the corners, but hey, handling has never been the 'stangs forte. It delivers what most buyers are looking for, straight line excitement with decent handling.

Dave07997S

Established Member
chuckstang said:
I dont need decaf lol :D
Bottom line, this new GT500 out handles those SVT Cobras that came before it.

I don't think that was ever questioned..that's the point, it was never even compared. Was the post said to make the poster of his point feel inferior or bad?? Anyway..off my soapbox.

Dave

FBMphil

Established Member
[British accent] Why, the GT500 doesn't even have a limuhid schlip diffuhrenshul! [/British accent]

bluestreak89

Established Member
I disagree the BMW M6 handles well and is the same weight as the GT500. BMW's are great at handling for their weight. Havent driven the GT500 though I am going to look at one tommorrow maybe.

chuckstang

Established Member
If you add some proper springs/dampers to the gt500 it will handle as good and possibly better than the bmw.
Did anyone watch Bruce drive his gt500 on road america?
From the factory, the gt500 does not handle great but can be made to handle pretty darn good :)

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
any more details on the video(cant watch it right now, 56k)? did they place it on the cool wall? if i remember right the mustang GT is in the cool category, just short of subzero.

hell yea, that shwig does have balls! first he launches a koenigsegg CCX off the course and whacks the tire wall, then they put a wing on it and he makes the fastest time without flinching!

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Figures the British could get mixed up by a dyno, oh wait I'm sorry rolling road.

I also think it is unlikely that a Vauxhall Monaro VXR (which is a GTO!!!) could keep up with a GT500. They should have put some better suspension pieces on the Shelby to begin with but more people drag race mustangs anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread