Shelby GT 500 on Top Gear..

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i think "the shwig" plays a little politics every now and then. he deffinately could have drove the ford GT better and i deffinately think he could have gotten a better time in the viper too.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Lets not blame the driver now. He gets just about all he can out of each car with the given conditions and time he is allowed. He could probably get better times in all the cars given enough practice. It was raining when they tested the viper and you could tell he was having a hard time keeping the car under control

What we see in the video can be way different than what he is felling in the drivers seat.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
didnt see your post before/havnt seen the viper video, so im pretty sure he was giving it hell to get that time in the rain. but i still think he could have gotten more out of the GT. ive seen him push other cars harder than(it appeared) he pushed the GT.

Dave07997S

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
C6 = 1:26.8
M3 CSL = 1:28.0
Mitsu EVO VIII = 1:28.9
Audi S4 (no RS4) = 1:30.9

I want to point out that the M3CSL time was in the wet with Michelin PSC's. It has done under 1:27 in the dry..

Dave

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
Drop that bitch off at Griggs, then it'll be in the low 1.20s around that track and piss off those goofy ass Brits...:idea:

Fourcam330

Established Member
I think pretty much everyone would have to agree how retarded it is to compare wet/dry lap times at all.

jshen

Established Member
I thought it odd that this American muscle car hater..owns a "GT 390"! The car in Bullet had to be prepped [ I recall head work and carb work ] in order to keep up with a bone stock 440 magnum Charger...and not even the top 440 six pack just the 375 hp car. And his car put out - what 200+ hp on the dyno? Mind you, I liked the Bullet car but liked it more when the 428 was added the following year...and even more when the Boss 429 rolled out in late 69.

These guys always trash American cars on their show. Remember their take on the Vette?

I'd say the Shelby has come a long way from 1967...and when the price comes down to MSRP I'll have one.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
chuckstang said:
who the F*** races in the wet
Other than F1 and rally
probably 75% of all road racing. SCCA, NASA, majority the major road racing sanctioning bodies race in the rain. just because nascar doesnt doesnt mean that pretty much no one else does.

anyone read the comments page on the autoblog.com link? fricken hilarious!!! so much misinformation on there! people claiming that top gears chassis dyno accounts for drivetrain losses(even though every drivetrain has a different amount of loss, and i dont think a dyno can take into account every drivetrain). one idiot says that if a car is driven on a dyno in 4th gear(1:1), there should be hardly any drivetrain losses because it doesnt go through the gears in the trasnmission, and that a solid axle is more efficient because it doesnt have CV joints and halfshafts(even though it has a driveshaft with constantly changing geometry as well as universal joints. also the fact that its a 2 piece in the GT500). also saying that the STi is better because it costs the same as a mustang GT imported to the UK(somehow forgot to subtract those added importing charges i guess). then theres another guy saying that the top gear numbers were at the crank. dont forget the guys that complain about the price being so much for ford to add just a supercharger. bunch of uninformed know it all idiots over there.

broeli

Established Member
chuckstang said:
who the F*** races in the wet
Other than F1 and rally
All the real racers :D
Road course racing events take place even if it's wet. Only drag racers and Nascar worry about the wet.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
broeli said:
Road course racing events take place even if it's wet. Only drag racers and Nascar worry about the wet.

And you should see the looks I get from the Audi Quattro, Subaru WRX and Evo drivers as I blow their doors off in a Mustang! :-D Little do they know I cheat with a set of competition Dunlop Rain Tires! :lol:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ry_Trapp0 said:
have you tried the pirelli pzero corsa DOT comp tires? from what ive heard/read their pretty much the top comp rain tires.

the pzero corsa system tires are pretty cool too. the fronts are designed to move the water out of the way for the rears or something like that. standard equipement on the 360 stradale and 911 GT3.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Corsa+System

No, I have not tried them, but I can assure you they can't hold a candle to these:

rains3ns1.jpg

These are non-DOT, competition only, Dunlop Rain racing tires that were run when it rained during the 24 Hours of Daytona a few years back. I bought them from a guy that handles the used race tires from this and other events. They can only be used when the track is WET. If the track is intermediate they wear like crazy and actually get squirrelly. The durometer is similar in hardness to Bazooka Bubble gum. :-D

The grip of these tires is simply amazing. :bowdown: I have been on some pretty crappy tires on my street cars over the years and I think one of the worst tires ever (grip wise) was a Good-Year Eagle GT+4. These rain tires have better grip in the wet than the GT+4's had in the dry! :eek:

I used to hate driving OT events and driving schools in the rain. But with these, I have had a LOT of fun! :rockon:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
damn, yea i think those will hold just a little better than the pirellis! those things are awesome!!! how much you pay for them? wouldnt think they would be to bad since their used.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ry_Trapp0 said:
damn, yea i think those will hold just a little better than the pirellis! those things are awesome!!! how much you pay for them? wouldnt think they would be to bad since their used.

For a while there when I used to be the "Tire Cording King" (12 in one weekend) and was on a first name basis with Bob, I got most of my tires at $75 bux a pop plus shipping. These were so awesome I bought a second set and they are in thick black plastic bags in a cool dark corner of my shop. :-D

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:

i heard that some mag put those pirellis pzero corsa's on the amv8 and they picked up 3 or 4 sec at the ring. with those tires on the amv8(they are an optional tire from the factory) the car ran faster ring time than the 997s.:D

TRXboy

Established Member
broeli said:

Although Drag racing has Obv. reason's for not racing in the rain, I feel Nascar looses alot of credability not racing in the rain (not that I gave them much in the first place)

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Ok for all those who think Im just jealous of the gt500 owners,(even though Ive been in line for the car since 04 at numerous dealers) the gt500 did out run and near such cars(more expensive) on that show at the track such has the Aston Matin DB7 GT that ran 1.30.4, the Porsche 911 turbo 1.31.0, honda nsx type r 1.31.6. BMW M3 1.31.8, Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG. 1.33.2, Jaguar XKR 1.34.7, aston martin vanquish 1.36.2,

but also got beat buy Mitisubishi Evo VIII, 1.28.9, BMW(cause I know someone/Bimmer fans will say this one) M3 CSL 1.28.0 Bmw M5 1.26.2 BMW Z4M 1.26.0

but different tracks favor different types of cars so you cant go buy lap times alone.

stock for stock.
Would I pin an 03/04 against a GT500? SURE--- I beleive it is a drivers race in drag racing, and the road coarse,(just watched a video where 2 gt500 owners ran 13.4-13.6 in the quarter and Ive personally seen people in 03s run that slow, some even 13.2s with blower pulley changed, just shows you dont have to be a good driver to own either), BUT the shelby does have a very SLIGHT edge on the 03/04. about a tenth or 2 over the 03/04s in the quarter) and on a road coarse I havent seen many comparisons, but for an extra 7+grand on sticker price over a new 03/04. it should/better be. (it should be a hefty advantage at that price)

Potential---everyone knows what can be done to the 03-04s to make them plan insane.

NOW take the same basic 03 fundementals and up flow poteential of the cylinder heads and give it an extra 49 cubic inches. THATS WHY I WANT A GT500. and it gets a great clutch and live axle( as I drag race on slicks more then I make it to the autocross events around here--as we only get 2-3 a year, and the 4 drag strips are open every week.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread