Shelby GT350 Video

americansteel

Banned
@Ry_Trapp0 the original Boss302 was a 2 year car. so was the Boss429.
Mach1 was 4 years, yet Ford has plans on keeping it out as a permanent main stay optional package with the 5.8l.

also the original GT350 was a little wicked car SCCA beating corvette 327 fuelies!

Voltwings

Established Member
From Road and Track's latest issue. I'm paraphrasing, but it gets the point across:

"According to our source at Ford, the 2016 GT350 is going to have an engine around 5.4L with a Ferrari-style flat pane V8 revving north of 7000rpms with around 600 hp NA."

TTA89

Established Member
From Road and Track's latest issue. I'm paraphrasing, but it gets the point across:

"According to our source at Ford, the 2016 GT350 is going to have an engine around 5.4L with a Ferrari-style flat pane V8 revving north of 7000rpms with around 600 hp NA."

And cost 60k? 70k? :shrug:

Voltwings

Established Member
And cost 60k? 70k? :shrug:

I've said it since the beginning i think ford is going after the corvette with this new line of mustang, because its their top dog, they dont have to worry about stepping on toes like Chevy does with the camaro.

c7 vette: 460 hp, 3400 lbs
S550: Projected 450-475 hp, 3400 lbs

The vette does a 12.3 @ 113, and the outgoing boss 302 with around the same horsepower and more weight than the S550 did a what, 12.3 @ 112 - 113? Starting to see the comparisons?

We're going to have to see where the other models fall (mach 1, cobra...) but i think Ford is going right for the throat this time around. Its gonna get real interesting here pretty soon.

americansteel

Banned

the same magazine said something totally different last year. hmmm well I can just go direct to the source, which I have.
5.0 GT no changes, 5.8l N/A mach1 and 5.8l SVT cobra/ Cobra R. GT350 with a 5.0l using a supercharger. nothing about a special "flat crank"
ford wont build a car using such small cubic inches and hitting 600 horsepower with out some kind of forced induction.

Voltwings

Established Member
the same magazine said something totally different last year. hmmm well I can just go direct to the source, which I have.
5.0 GT no changes, 5.8l N/A mach1 and 5.8l SVT cobra/ Cobra R. GT350 with a 5.0l using a supercharger. nothing about a special "flat crank"
ford wont build a car using such small cubic inches and hitting 600 horsepower with out some kind of forced induction.

What is "your source," Because you contradicted a lot of stuff that seems to be "common knowledge" about the upcoming platform?

The 5.0 is supposed to be DI, and that alone will cause a hp because of effeciency. The gt350 will also be NA because the pedestrian safety laws will not fit a supercharger under the hood. Now, as much as i love Ford, i will not say they are on the engineering level (or at least this car will not be) that Ferrari is. However, the 458 Italia only has 4.5L ... granted 9000 rpms, point is it doesnt take a monster engine.

BTW i dont mean to sound argumentative at all, simply discussing.

jes_csx

Established Member

You really think the GT350 will be supercharged?
I'm nearly certain it wont be, with or without internet rumors.
I'm not sure about the flat plane crank thing either, but they are doing something rather special for the engine, and its not just bolting on a supercharger. I don think we will see a factory FI V8 for a few years.
Your powertrain information generally seems a bit off.

americansteel

Banned
You really think the GT350 will be supercharged?
I'm nearly certain it wont be, with or without internet rumors.
I'm not sure about the flat plane crank thing either, but they are doing something rather special for the engine, and its not just bolting on a supercharger. I don think we will see a factory FI V8 for a few years.
Your powertrain information generally seems a bit off.

nope its correct. I get information straight from the source (not much though) the GT350 will have a 5.0l with a supercharger. 5.0l gt no gains.
5.8l N/A in mach1 nothing was given to me about the 5.8l being an option fro the GT. cobra to have 5.8l I was told that ford has special plans for the GT350, what those plans are? I don't know but it seems like ford is wanting to hit the vette really hard. no flat crank for any motor in the mustang. btw the cobra will only be out for 2 years.

Last edited:

mustangletback

Established Member
I've said it since the beginning i think ford is going after the corvette with this new line of mustang, because its their top dog, they dont have to worry about stepping on toes like Chevy does with the camaro.

c7 vette: 460 hp, 3400 lbs
S550: Projected 450-475 hp, 3400 lbs

The vette does a 12.3 @ 113, and the outgoing boss 302 with around the same horsepower and more weight than the S550 did a what, 12.3 @ 112 - 113? Starting to see the comparisons?

We're going to have to see where the other models fall (mach 1, cobra...) but i think Ford is going right for the throat this time around. Its gonna get real interesting here pretty soon.
i agree with what you are saying.if the mustang weight comes down like people think,the mustang will be right on par with the stingray.the thing is what type of IRS will FORD use?in the looks department to me the new vette looks like shit.:pepper:

Voltwings

Established Member
i agree with what you are saying.if the mustang weight comes down like people think,the mustang will be right on par with the stingray.the thing is what type of IRS will FORD use?in the looks department to me the new vette looks like shit.:pepper:

I did not like the concept photos at all, but ill admit having seen a few in person now... they're pretty sexy. Its a VERY beefy looking car despite being so sleek simply because of how big it is.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
nope its correct. I get information straight from the source (not much though) the GT350 will have a 5.0l with a supercharger. 5.0l gt no gains.
5.8l N/A in mach1 nothing was given to me about the 5.8l being an option fro the GT. cobra to have 5.8l I was told that ford has special plans for the GT350, what those plans are? I don't know but it seems like ford is wanting to hit the vette really hard. no flat crank for any motor in the mustang. btw the cobra will only be out for 2 years.

Ive seen that you keep saying the mach and the cobra will return with the 5.8l...but what will the difference be? will the cobra have any sort of forced induction?

Im assumuing that it will be like it was in 03-04 with those two.

americansteel

Banned
Ive seen that you keep saying the mach and the cobra will return with the 5.8l...but what will the difference be? will the cobra have any sort of forced induction?

Im assumuing that it will be like it was in 03-04 with those two.

from what I was told yes the GT350 will be using F/I. that will be fords new performance car.
the mach1 and cobra will use the 5.8l in N/A form. as far as difference in horsepower is between the 5.0l and 5.8l? I wasn't told. I was shown a picture of the 2 new engines and the 5.8l looks really good. of course the 5.0 looks nothing different except cam covers.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
from what I was told yes the GT350 will be using F/I. that will be fords new performance car.
the mach1 and cobra will use the 5.8l in N/A form. as far as difference in horsepower is between the 5.0l and 5.8l? I wasn't told. I was shown a picture of the 2 new engines and the 5.8l looks really good. of course the 5.0 looks nothing different except cam covers.

so whats the point of making a mach 1 AND a cobra model if they will have the same engine? I find it hard to believe that they would just make them look different.

americansteel

Banned
so whats the point of making a mach 1 AND a cobra model if they will have the same engine? I find it hard to believe that they would just make them look different.

a 5.8l? come on! a mach1 and a cobra deserves to have a 5.8l or bigger and not some 5.0l. why not? the cobraR will be a N/A track car how ever I was told that might change although the cobra will be a 2 year car. the mach1 will be an upgrade from the GT. the point is power! the 5.8l has an advantage over the 5.0l to make power and torque whether it be N/A or boosted.

CompOrangeCobra

Established Member
In 03 & 04 the GTs had 2Vs, the Machs have 4Vs and the cobras have SC4Vs each with additional HP, I would expect that to be the situation but I am assuming...

Eatonualive281

Established Member
In 03 & 04 the GTs had 2Vs, the Machs have 4Vs and the cobras have SC4Vs each with additional HP, I would expect that to be the situation but I am assuming...

exactly what I was getting at.

a 5.8l? come on! a mach1 and a cobra deserves to have a 5.8l or bigger and not some 5.0l. why not? the cobraR will be a N/A track car how ever I was told that might change although the cobra will be a 2 year car. the mach1 will be an upgrade from the GT. the point is power! the 5.8l has an advantage over the 5.0l to make power and torque whether it be N/A or boosted.

You dont understand what im getting at here. They could have any engine you want. im not saying they SHOULDNT have a 5.8.... Im saying that the cobra model is the higher end model. you would expect it to have more power and most likely FI just like in 03-04. the cobra had a 4v with a blower and irs, nice interior, nice verything fo the most part. the Mach1 had the NA 4v, less power, not as nice of an interior, solid axle etc etc. they were two totally different animals. Thats what I expect them to do. It would make sense.

With that said, I hope the put the biggest baddest motor/ FI combo they can in the new Cobra. No more gt500 BS. That horse has been beaten dead....badly lol. We havent had a Cobra since 04.

americansteel

Banned
exactly what I was getting at.

You dont understand what im getting at here. They could have any engine you want. im not saying they SHOULDNT have a 5.8.... Im saying that the cobra model is the higher end model. you would expect it to have more power and most likely FI just like in 03-04. the cobra had a 4v with a blower and irs, nice interior, nice verything fo the most part. the Mach1 had the NA 4v, less power, not as nice of an interior, solid axle etc etc. they were two totally different animals. Thats what I expect them to do. It would make sense.

With that said, I hope the put the biggest baddest motor/ FI combo they can in the new Cobra. No more gt500 BS. That horse has been beaten dead....badly lol. We havent had a Cobra since 04.

the GT500 should have used a 5.4l/5.8l N/A engine and stuck with the cobra with F/I in the first place. with the past 14 years of modular mustangs ford not only wasted time, money and resources on a platform that was terribly handled along with performance/design and should have just kept every thing in a straight line because it seems that ford doesn't have a clue on what to do when it comes to the mustang and its models! with its modular engine program ford wasted money. the cobra is said to be a 2 year car I wasn't given much info on that specific model. I was told that the mach1 will be a mainstay and an option upgrade from the GT. GT350 is said to be fords new performance car. where does that leave the cobra? I don't know yet it seems that the cobra shouldn't even be brought out if that is what ford wants to do with its mustang models. it doesn't make sense to me but that is ford for you. the 5.0 already has 4v heads so if you think about it the 5.8l would make sense. an engine that is capable of making 475hp under 7000RPM. why would ford put a high revving 5.0 in the mustang and mass produce it? they wont! that's why they made a 2 year special edition mustang boss302. there is no 5.2l voodoo motor there is no flat crank 600HP 5.4 or a 480hp 5.0 these were rumors started by 2 magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread