Shelby's at the Stealership.......Pray for me

yosemiddysam

03 Cobra Vert 10th Anniv.
Established Member
Crestview Fl. Grew up in the good ole Dub V
Dropped the car off at 0915 this morning for a 0930 appointment. I changed out the Upper Mount, Upper C/A, Lower C/A's and Upper/lower Pan Hard bar with BMR upgrades. Car has a whine at highway speed that increases with speed. It also sounds like the trans is hitting the tunnel and or making noise all the time. If you are going slow over bumps it sounds like the trans is jumping. I explained everything to them and I guess I am at their mercy. I called them at 1500 and they told me that they were just getting to it to put it up on a lift. Oh and they close at 1730. I will give them a chance to charge me 90 bucks to "diagnose" my car and see how it goes. Car has not quite 16K on the clock.......

barspen

Established Member
Taking my GT500 to the dealership for anything other than an oil/filter change makes me cringe too. It would be nice when you buy an SVT car\truck, they send the SVT mechanic, when you take it to the dealership, to make sure there aren't any issues or concerns. I think that would be good customer service...but then again, I have never asked.

As far as the whine...I noticed a bit of extra noise (high pitch whine) at HWY speed after I replaced the LCA's, panhard and endlinks. All the new bushings are urethane, which will transmit more noise than rubber by nature. I have read the UCA can increase NVH even more than the other parts.

Good luck with the dealer troubleshooting!

Last edited:

49NorthVert

Established Member
A 0930 appointment means maybe up to a 45 minute grace period NOT 5+hours. I would be having words with Mr. Servcemananger over that alone! Good thing doctors, lawyers, dentists, hair stylsts, accountants don't think like that. I am not difficult to deal with, speak perfectly clear English (most of the time) and am PAYING THE BILL! I have made the terms of engagement clear to my service folks that this is not an option when I book my Shelby in. And it works because they do their best to honor the booked time. They also know from the appointment book what is in the day before (and I ask) and whether it will likely be out in time for you to be looked after in the morning or if the tech's job might carry-over some into the next day. This stuff I am all over micro managing when I book, and if there is a next time I will go one step further and ask what jobs are booked the same time as mine (don't ask why).:fm::nono:

P.S. Sorry to hear about your inconvenience, I hope you are able to resolve the noise issue to your complete satisfaction.:)

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
Good luck with the car. I still have stock suspension components on my 2012, and I am getting a whine on the highway. "Sounds" like it is coming from under the shifter area.. maybe where the front part of the driveshaft is.. but I assume it could be the dreaded rear end whine these cars get. Debating taking it in for warranty work... as I have... a few mods. But wouldn't hurt to try.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
It's gear whine. A lot of these car's have it and it becomes really noticeable when you do suspension mods. I have had it for a while now. I just deal with it until I decide to have it changed out. Doesn't mean the gears are bad or will fail, but it is annoying.

Poppacapp

Established Member
It's gear whine. A lot of these car's have it and it becomes really noticeable when you do suspension mods. I have had it for a while now. I just deal with it until I decide to have it changed out. Doesn't mean the gears are bad or will fail, but it is annoying.

Yeah, but you should not have to deal with noises like that on a 50+k car. Mustang or not.

11VENOM

Established Member
Took mine in today too.They just talk to you like your a dummy.Mine is in there for a noise in the trans,noise in the rear and a shimmy in the front end.The rear spins lie its an open rear and the tech tells me its supposed to do that.I cant stand dealing with them.But anyway,Good luck with your car.

Black Sex

Established Member
Took mine in today too.They just talk to you like your a dummy.Mine is in there for a noise in the trans,noise in the rear and a shimmy in the front end.The rear spins lie its an open rear and the tech tells me its supposed to do that.I cant stand dealing with them.But anyway,Good luck with your car.

I'm glad I don't have the only retarded dealership. :bash: They do talk to you like you're just some dummy that don't know anything about the car you own.

yosemiddysam

Established Member
LMAO that is exactly what they said ......... Noise is coming from your mods. I asked to talk to the mech that worked on it and he basically confirmed my suspicion that he didnt have much time to look at it. Once I told him I installed the mods, Torqued every nut, bolt to specs, had the vehicle aligned and HAD the issues before the mods, Hence the reason for the Mods.......he seemed more interested. I also told him that while at my local oil change place I got under the car in the pit and could basically lift the transmission on the tail end, he ordered me a new transmission mount. Will have to take the car back in 3-5 days to get it installed. Over all i am happy with the dealings face to face with them but pissed that my car was there all day and didnt really get checked. They did not charge me the 90 bucks either. Will keep ya'll updated.

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
Taking my GT500 to the dealership for anything other than an oil/filter change makes me cringe too. It would be nice when you buy an SVT car\truck, they send the SVT mechanic, when you take it to the dealership, to make sure there aren't any issues or concerns. I think that would be good customer service...but then again, I have never asked.

As far as the whine...I noticed a bit of extra noise (high pitch whine) at HWY speed after I replaced the LCA's, panhard and endlinks. All the new bushings are urethane, which will transmit more noise than rubber by nature. I have read the UCA can increase NVH even more than the other parts.

Good luck with the dealer troubleshooting!

I remember taking my Cobra 50 minutes to Savannah to get serviced. The reason being is no dealerships would touch my car without an SVT certification. Times have changed I see.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, but you should not have to deal with noises like that on a 50+k car. Mustang or not.

When you start swapping out factory parts for aftermarket stuff that is stiffer and transmits more NVH, that goes right out the window...

yosemiddysam

Established Member
I did the full tilt boogie kit in my 03 Cobra so I am used to the noise level increasing. That is not what worries me. The fact that all the whine goes away once you let off the gas is what concerns me. If that is "normal" then I am fine. I still have the Clunking that I hope will be fixed when the Trans mount is replaced. If not then I can only think it is the drive shaft????

Poppacapp

Established Member
When you start swapping out factory parts for aftermarket stuff that is stiffer and transmits more NVH, that goes right out the window...

I agree, but my suspension is still factory stock although a little more in the horsepower department, I am getting the whine at highway speeds. You figure a car of this caliber they would at least use crushless washers in the rear end(which is what seems to be the issue with the noise problems)

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
I agree that the bushings do cause more NVH. The issue I have is that the noise only happens when the gas pedal is pushed. Wouldnt the noise happen all the time? Once you let off the gas all is quiet again.

No because you are placing a load on the gears and thus transmitting noise. When you are just coasting the gears are free to glide in their respective spots.

Its as simple as either have a stock suspension and no noise or aftermarket and deal with it. If you can find any parts that don't transmit the whine from rear gears then I want to know about them because it just doesn't happen.

I've never understood why after purchasing a car, modding it, and driving it we complain about this or that not sounding like stock. You have to give something up to go fast. We all like the supercharger whine but now that you can hear other parts working as they always have because of something we did or caused then I suggest trying another hobby.

Make the exhaust louder, make the supercharger louder but don't make my rear end sound like its working, I cant tolerate that bullshit!

cobraboss

Established Member
No because you are placing a load on the gears and thus transmitting noise. When you are just coasting the gears are free to glide in their respective spots.

Its as simple as either have a stock suspension and no noise or aftermarket and deal with it. If you can find any parts that don't transmit the whine from rear gears then I want to know about them because it just doesn't happen.

I've never understood why after purchasing a car, modding it, and driving it we complain about this or that not sounding like stock. You have to give something up to go fast. We all like the supercharger whine but now that you can hear other parts working as they always have because of something we did or caused then I suggest trying another hobby.

Make the exhaust louder, make the supercharger louder but don't make my rear end sound like its working, I cant tolerate that bullshit!

:beer:

yosemiddysam

Established Member

You do not know the sounds coming from my rear end. The whine is one thing and like I stated earlier....If it is just there due to the swap then I am fine. I have clunks, bangs, and shit that just dont seem right. you can feel free to keep your bullshit out of my threads!!!!

Poppacapp

Established Member
You do not know the sounds coming from my rear end. The whine is one thing and like I stated earlier....If it is just there due to the swap then I am fine. I have clunks, bangs, and shit that just dont seem right. you can feel free to keep your bullshit out of my threads!!!!

2745079.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread