Shifter Install Questions

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Finally got around to installing Cobra Bob's gasket set this afternoon. The previous owner installed a Steeda Tri-ax shifter. I have never installed a short throw before but some things just didn't look right when I was removing it.

Take a look at the pic of the handle+bolts. These are the bolts that were used on the handle. Do these look correct? The top bolt is shorter than the bottom and the bottom bolt was installed with two (2) split washers. Feedback please.

Also, I have read on here plenty of times that the T-56 has internal stops. Why do the Steeda instructions for the T-56 include shifter stop instructions? When I removed the shifter I found that the stop bolts were used. Should I remove them or leave them in? I ask b/c the Steeda instructions also have this note: "!IMPORTANT! Whenever the shifter is removed from the transmissions the stop bolts must be reset when the shifter is reinstalled." Sorry for all the questions. This isn't a difficult job but wanted to see what everyone has done. Thanks.

IMG_0837.gif

futureSVT

Established Member
it looks like who ever installed the shifter lost one of the bolts and installed what they had. IMO but i could be wrong. also idk why the steeda shifter says to use the stops but i would take them completely out.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
That's exactly what I thought. I don't think the installer was very mechanical. They lost one of the speed nuts or blind nuts (whatever you want to call them) that is used to fasten the factory inner boot/plate. So they used a big ass 14mm size bolt instead. lol

Any steeda guys know which bolt is correct? I'm almost 100% sure it's the shorter one since it installs flush. The longer bolt tore up the inner boot a little bit. Little frustrated with the previous owner right now. lol

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I hear ya, but I think it's no big deal as long as he didn't loose the bolt in the tranny...see if you can call up steeda and they can help you out. BTW, remove those stops...I have done the same with my MGW for years without problems...

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
..just dug through my boxes of original parts and found the two 'missing' bolts. The lower bolt in the pic above is from the stock shifter. It's a little fatter at the base than the aftermarket handle. And I found the remaining bolt to hold the factory inner dust boot.

Also got to looking at the stock shifter...it doesn't have any shift stops...so I guess I'll take mine out like I've seen done on here time and time again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad you found the missing bolts. I had a feeling that the lower bolt was from the stock shifter. I have a stock shifter at the office and the bolt looked the same.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Glad you found the missing bolts. I had a feeling that the lower bolt was from the stock shifter. I have a stock shifter at the office and the bolt looked the same.

I should have looked through my boxes first before posting. I was in a bit of hurry since the new g/f was coming over and I had to get ready. lol The rest of the shifter install went fine. Sadly, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It was snowing (again) last weekend. Put fresh oil in the car last night and started it (first time since early Nov. '09) and have a really bad idle issue with a check engine light. New plugs a few weeks ago (TR6's...same ones I had last year) so i checked them again tonight. Will be trying to find codes tomorrow night. This isn't the appropriate thread to talk about this but I'm hoping to get this resolved soon b/c the weather just keeps getting nicer and nicer and I just want to drive the damn thing again! lol

Users who are viewing this thread