should i be in the 11's?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
He's a vendor on this forum so you could send him a PM or Email, or better yet just call him....

864-332-0955

Silver03Termi

Established Member
how accurate can a tune be if he doesnt have the car? im used to tuning bikes with dynojet software, and any map that ive ever downloaded from the internet turned out to be very hit or miss. they would give u good AFR at one rpm, but not at another. we actually have to datalog the bike to properly tune it. is this same theory going to be true for the car too? or is rick that good that he can get it right with out my car being there? is this tune going to be only slightly better than the canned tune from the SCT? has anybody had real good result and consistent AFR's with these tunes via email? it just seems that these tunes would be some what generic than custom. thoughts? im not doubting his abilities, i read his credentials and he seems to know what hes talking about. but how good can he be 500 miles away from me? is my skepticism completely unfound?

Speed Demon

Established Member
Rick is pretty good. I had my car tuned @ his shop, but the first program he put in my Predator was just about spot on for AFR across the board, and was just a few minor tweeks away from max hp. I will tell you, and sure he will too, always get the tune checked on a dyno, and datalog the dyno pulls, if there are any tweeks that need to be made send him the data and he will send you another tune.

Venomm

Established Member
he does ALL his tunes based on DATALOG's you MUST datalog the run inorder to have it accurately tuned, mine had been hit or miss from day one BUT rick has walked me thru how to fix things, with him being 1,200 miles away its not like he can seee the car like you said thus why he relies on you to tell him what the car is doin :)

ttk53

Established Member
LOL so should you with 500hp, I ran a 12.1 with a bolt on ls1.....

if you knew how to read you would see that the 12.33 was with a drop in filter and exhaust. My car just got put back together and tuned monday the 13th and that is where the 530 hp came from.

Bring your little ls to my track and i'll let you see my tail lights

Last edited:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
he does ALL his tunes based on DATALOG's you MUST datalog the run inorder to have it accurately tuned, mine had been hit or miss from day one BUT rick has walked me thru how to fix things, with him being 1,200 miles away its not like he can seee the car like you said thus why he relies on you to tell him what the car is doin :)

so i will have to datalog my car BEFORE he will send me a tune?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
how accurate can a tune be if he doesnt have the car? im used to tuning bikes with dynojet software, and any map that ive ever downloaded from the internet turned out to be very hit or miss. they would give u good AFR at one rpm, but not at another. we actually have to datalog the bike to properly tune it. is this same theory going to be true for the car too? or is rick that good that he can get it right with out my car being there? is this tune going to be only slightly better than the canned tune from the SCT? has anybody had real good result and consistent AFR's with these tunes via email? it just seems that these tunes would be some what generic than custom. thoughts? im not doubting his abilities, i read his credentials and he seems to know what hes talking about. but how good can he be 500 miles away from me? is my skepticism completely unfound?

Valid question. Experienced tuners like Rick have tuned enough cars and combos where you can simply tell them what mods are on your car and 95% of the time they can email you a tune that will be spot on.

You don't have to datalog in order for him to send you a tune. But it would be very wise to check your AFR and datalog MAF counts/FPDC/IAT's/etc.

so i will have to datalog my car BEFORE he will send me a tune?

No you datalog the car after he sends you the tune to verify everything is ok and the tune was acceptable for your car/combo.

Venomm

Established Member
+1 Yepp Datalog after tune :) you will need xcal3 though if you buy it from amazon you get free tunes for life and they send you the tuner preloaded with your tune when you call them and tell them what you have... best thing would be to call either Rick or Lynn at amazon for advice they will tell ya what you need :)

Silver03Termi

Established Member
thnks for all the help!! as far as datalogging, im assuming somewhere between 12 and 12.5 for AFR. what other parameters should i log and what are the acceptable values im looking for?

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
that is too high for these vehicles..but each car is different.. some like alot of timing with low AF and others like low timing with high AF..that is why a tune is preliminary until you can get data back to Rick so he can optimalize the tune for you.. but the AF should be in the mid 11s 11.6-7-8

we have a list of parameters to datalog in our forum ..there is a sticky thread there
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ts-234/362907-what-datalog-tune-revision.html

Last edited:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
linn you are a genius. so rick uses his map as a starting point, then tunes from there with a data log? not that it matters to me...but would it be easier for him if i just logged what i have now and sent it to him?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
you have xcal right now to datalog w/o a tune on it??

i have the xcal3. i got it directly from an SCT dealer who strictly sold parts. they said that it will compensate for the extra boost without a custom tune, but that i can custom tune with it if i purchase the extra software. so YES i have the xcal and its just the generic tune that the xcal generates when u adjust the few options that the hand held gives you. i didnt buy it from someone like rick that sells the unit with a custom tune preloaded into it. i didnt know that i could do that at the time of purchase. oddly enough, i only saved 25$ over what rick charges. i should have done some research before i purchased it. make sense?

Venomm

Established Member
yepp but rick will take care of ya for sure!! i love my XCAL3 linn talked me into buyin it form them bc the 25.00 dif you saved is the 25.00 extra ya pay them for lifetime tunes.. i cant even begin to tell ya how to use the xcal haha as i cant figure out everything it does but af far as tunes and dataloggs go if ya need help get in touch with me or Amazon well help ya and get it runnin right for the setup, biggest thing is to datalog the permiters they ask for bc they will tell rick what he needs to look at, if ya can datalog a run or dyno and post it up here and well see if a full tune is needed, how much boost are ya runnin? and do you have a wideband?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
yepp but rick will take care of ya for sure!! i love my XCAL3 linn talked me into buyin it form them bc the 25.00 dif you saved is the 25.00 extra ya pay them for lifetime tunes.. i cant even begin to tell ya how to use the xcal haha as i cant figure out everything it does but af far as tunes and dataloggs go if ya need help get in touch with me or Amazon well help ya and get it runnin right for the setup, biggest thing is to datalog the permiters they ask for bc they will tell rick what he needs to look at, if ya can datalog a run or dyno and post it up here and well see if a full tune is needed, how much boost are ya runnin? and do you have a wideband?

dont have a wide band yet, i have only the 2.8 steeda upper, so 14 pounds? right? im delaying a custom tune until i have a wideband to datalog with. im assuming he'd need the afr for a custom tune right? $$$ is tight right now too, i got laid off 4 weeks ago, but i expect to go back next week. then ill throw some more $$ at the car. when you datalog do you do it in 3rd? just start recording at 2000 rpm or so and top out 3rd gear?

Users who are viewing this thread