Should I do e85?

99 COBRA Con.

Established Member
I have an 03 cobra with bolt ons (stock blower). I have been thinking of going to e85 but am just not shore about it I do have walbro modified gt supercar pumps that are rated for e85. And I know I would have to change injectors and tune, but what elts. Also would it even be worth doing to my car. It is my daily driver.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
From what I have gathered.. It would be pointless unless you are running more than 20psi. Someone with more knowledge will chime in..

99 COBRA Con.

Established Member
Car has a 2.75 pully, cold air intake, ported throttle body and phenom, 3inch exhaust with stock manifolds and no cats, gt supercar pumps, pprv delete, 373 gears, and many other none power related mods.

99 COBRA Con.

Established Member
I have been looking all threw this site and see a lot of pros and cons to e85 some of it has me really afraid of it like the black gunk and walbro pumps letting down in e85. but at the same time like all gear heads I won't more power but for cheap, and not at the cost of my fuel system.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
those pump failures are random and very very very few have that issue. walbro gss342's arent e85 rated and yet tons of them have ran e85 through them for years...including myself.

if you're gonna go through the e85 switch...id say you should add a lower pulley to that setup.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
If you dd your car or putt around e85 burns about 1.5 times more fuel and with you running an Eaton I wouldn't waste the time if it was me..good luck

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I vote you should switch...even at current boost level...but I probably wouldn't daily it on e85 unless your area has sufficient station coverage.

But there's no reason to think this is a one way street when you "switch"... you could get a very aggressive timing E85 tune and a conservative pump gas tune for the times you want to go gas. Just keep the tunes in your handheld. Trust me, you will easily notice the difference when you feel that added E85 timing down low in the rev band hit...and then pull all the way to redline.

99 COBRA Con.

Established Member
04sleeper you said bad info from one of the other responses. With that said wait would you recommend and why for me and my car

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The advantages of E85 are cooler, and more HP without the risk of detonation.

The disadvantage if the car is a DD is the fuel economy will drop 20-25% or so depending on your driving.

With a 2.75 pulley combo, I can see an easy 30 RWHP or so gain on E85.

If this sounds good, then E85 is for you. If not, stay with the 93.

I know I would make the switch.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Burning 30% more fuel putting around town and having to test it kills the idea for me. Id stick to 93 especially if you drive it often.

mustang john

Established Member
Burning 30% more fuel putting around town and having to test it kills the idea for me. Id stick to 93 especially if you drive it often.

Testing it takes about two minutes and is very easy and a lot of the 30% more you burn is saved in the fact that its damn near a buck cheaper a gallon than 93 at least in my area it is.

E85 $2.69 gallon

93 $3.67 gallon

Average 12 gallon fill up will be about $12 cheaper so how much further could you go on $12 more of E85? Its damn near a wash compared to 93 cost wise. That's not even taking into consideration the power gains and safety factor it provides.

If its available enough that your comfortable with it then do it!

65fastback2+2

Established Member

it does not burn 30% more EVERYWHERE...in fact, some vehicles under certain conditions see less than 10% increased fuel need. it varies by conditions and vehicle.

mustang john

Established Member
I have a friend who bought a 2013 F150 with a 5.0 and he has been running E85 since its a flex fuel vehicle. He was pretty bummed that on 87 he was averaging close to 20mpg and on E85 it dropped all the way down to 14mpg. I did some quick math and showed him that to go the same distance a full tank of 87 would take him it would only cost him $10 more on E85. Moved the comparison up to 93 and it was a break even cost wise. Granted this was a truck and not a blown Cobra but the point can still be made about the cost offset of the cheaper E85 compared to 93.

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
I have a friend who bought a 2013 F150 with a 5.0 and he has been running E85 since its a flex fuel vehicle. He was pretty bummed that on 87 he was averaging close to 20mpg and on E85 it dropped all the way down to 14mpg. I did some quick math and showed him that to go the same distance a full tank of 87 would take him it would only cost him $10 more on E85. Moved the comparison up to 93 and it was a break even cost wise. Granted this was a truck and not a blown Cobra but the point can still be made about the cost offset of the cheaper E85 compared to 93.

I drop about 2.2 MPG on my F150 when running E85. I'm thinking California summer blend gas has a lot of ethanol in it. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread