Should I sell my gt to get a gt500

eekkaann

Established Member
I posted this in the 2011 mustang forum to:

I have a 2012 gt with minor mods.
Always liked the old 07-09 Shelbys and now i´m torn if i should sell my gt to get in to a 08 gt500.

Thoughts?

Imatk

Established Member
You are probably going to get biased answers here hehe... I've not driven 2012 so I can't really comment other than to say I love my '07 :)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Automatic or manual GT?

If you want to go fast and your GT is auto, get a Roush or Ford Racing blower kit and have fun.

If its stick, and you want stick, and are in a position to make a jump and not lose your ass, then go for it.

Gotta be prepaired for the 08 interior though. I know i would have a hard time adjusting after having my 2011.

Willie

Established Member
I consider purchasing a car a major decision. And with all major decisions, if you have ANY doubt whatsoever, do NOT do it. Only if you are absolutely positively sure that you want it and feel you will not have buyer's remorse should you commit. Kind of like getting married.... if you have any doubt, then run the opposite way as fast as you can!

Recon

Established Member
Given the choice between the two; I'd take the GT500.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Why are you thinking about making the move? The 07-08 is my favorite of the modern GT500's as far as looks and tech go. It was ground breaking at the time.

eekkaann

Established Member
Mine is a m6.
I can't put a blower on it, I live in Sweden. To much trouble that can happen.
You can't pass inspections with one, I would have to take it of once a year.
If something would happen to the car, a crash or something i would not get a cent from the insurance.
I have though about it many times but I justa can't go this way.
A gt500 would not have this problem since the blower is stock on the car.

Earlier I had a 2007 GT and then I always wanted a 07-09 gt500, and a part of me still do. I don't think i would have a problem with going back to the earlier interior.

My car is payed off. Im thinking of adding a CAI and tune, sway bars and upper and lower control arms. - or use this money and the money from selling my car and try to find a Shelby

spectreman

Established Member
Before I bought my used '09 GT500, I was driving a very nice '14 GT track pack equipped GT w/all the basic go fast bolt-ons. That car ripped and was, no doubt, the best built, performing Stang I'd ever owned.

Except it didn't call to me the way all my previous Stangs did, in spite of its excellence. It lacked that quality of uniqueness or personality all my prior Stangs had.

I'd long wanted a GT500, especially the last gen S197 version, but couldn't justify the $$ for it. Well luckily I was finally in the position to do so & found the exact one I wanted & got it. The car is practically all I believed it to be & I'm quite happy w/it. It has all the performance and panache I want in my Stang.

There are days, however, where I regret selling my '14. I took a bit of a bath in selling it and now that she's gone, my memories are clouded w/greater fondness. Hindsight being what it is, I think I probably should've kept her & modded a bit more to make her more to my liking, rather than spending the $$ on the GT500, but I'm honestly not regretting ownership of this car either.

Bottom line- it's your $$- do what makes you happy.
Lee

usafimj

Established Member
I went from a 2011 GT w/ cold air, headers, tune to a 2008 GT500 w/ the mods you see in my sig. I've always loved the 07-09 body style. In my opinion the GT500 is just as comfortable.

sedanman

Established Member
I have a 08GT500 with a TVS and boltons (630ish whp 4.10 but 28.5" tire). My dad has a 13 Auto (3.31) vert with a TVS (90mm pulley). My father in-law has a 2012 5spd (3.73) coupe with a TVS (85mm pulley). They are all fun, but the Shelby power hits harder and lower. I am all about fun and to me because of the way the power hits the car is more fun.

I perfer the older interior I am not a tech guy and I like the basic old school look of the early cars. I also perfer the look of the older cars. It is all subjective so that part is just up to the buyer.

All that being said if you want to be a track junkie, live and die by your track times or want to be a dig street racer buy an auto coyote otherwise in my opinion the Shelby rules.

The good and bad part is that the Shelby holds its value a lot better.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine is a m6.
I can't put a blower on it, I live in Sweden. To much trouble that can happen.
You can't pass inspections with one, I would have to take it of once a year.
If something would happen to the car, a crash or something i would not get a cent from the insurance.
I have though about it many times but I justa can't go this way.
A gt500 would not have this problem since the blower is stock on the car.

Earlier I had a 2007 GT and then I always wanted a 07-09 gt500, and a part of me still do. I don't think i would have a problem with going back to the earlier interior.

My car is payed off. Im thinking of adding a CAI and tune, sway bars and upper and lower control arms. - or use this money and the money from selling my car and try to find a Shelby

sell the GT

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I was gonna say keep your GT, but since you're in Sweden, definitely go for the GT500, if you can swing it. Interior-wise, I actually prefer the interior of the '07-'09. Something about that simplistic, Tonka toy design speaks to me. I prefer the air vents way more than the ones in my '11. I'd argue that my '05 GT Premium had a nicer interior than my '11 GT500.

Being in Sweden, I would imagine any Mustang is a rare sight. A GT500 would be all the more rare.

Performance-wise, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between an '07 GT500 and a '12 GT, especially not with the 3.31 ring gear and 3900+ lbs the '07 - '09 GT500 came with.

It really just depends on your own preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread