Should I trade?

achamb7

Established Member
Ok, long story short, I have 2012 GT, see details in my sig. When I bought the car, I really wanted a Shelby. Sometime in 2014, I will have the opportunity to either supercharge my car (undecided on TVS or Vortech). Or, I could trade it in for a Shelby. I owe less than my car is worth, so I am in pretty good shape as far as equity in the car is concerned. So, should I trade?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
That all depends on how big a payment you want? With the shelby you will get a big monthly payment. I'd just put a s/c on your current car and call it a day. In the end you will have less weight then a shelby and more rear wheel hp! And your ahead of the game with equity in your current car!

RFM50

Established Member
Supercharge your car. The Shelby's are bad ass but you can supercharge your car and build your motor, put down more wheel hp, and still have spent less than a new shelby. Now if you can get your hands on a used 13 shelby for cheap than go that route. I maybe have 45k total into my car with cost of new premium and everything in my sig.

achamb7

Established Member
This is funny. I posed the same question on the Shelby GT500 forum and they all said trade. Here everyone says keep it. If I trade, looking at a 10 or 11-12. Can't afford the 13, 07-09 will not be considered.

Elwood617

Established Member
I almost bought a 2012, great car. If you really want a Shelby, I would think that you would regret it later if you don't get one. Just my opinion :)

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I rather have a blown coyote than a 2011-12 gt500. Plus you already have the car.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
What is your reasoning behind this? Just trying to get some good opinions.

The main thing for me is the motor itself. I like the high reving coyote a lot more than the modular 4 valves.. you can spin them over 7k also but you will have a hard time collecti g prices of the block from the rods tearing it up. The only thing I like more about the gt500 is the 6060tras but the mt82 is not to bad and this is ofcourse my opinion and with the gt you also have the auto option. As far as which can ha dle more power with stock internals... Well that's pretty close. Maybe the gt500 can get away with just a bit more but not by a lot.

Justin81

Established Member
I'm in the same position as you. I bought my '13 new a few months ago. I put a good amount of money down so i'm in the car with a way out if need be. My Holy grail car is a '13 Gt500 Blue with the black stripes.

Come spring I will be facing whether I should sell mine and buy the shelby or continue to Supercharge mine the way I want. If I keep mine, my payment will remain about $190/month. If I buy the other, payment will be about $500+ /month. They're just really expensive cars!

I saw a write up ( I think Kenne Bell Site?) that said that they took a coyote car and matched it pound to pound with boost against the GT500 and it made quite a bit more power. That's not my biggest concern though. I'm more concerned about the decrease in value in the '13 GT and the street ability it will have after putting the blower on. One of my biggest concerns is also the MT-82 that I should have researched more before I bought the car. I would have bought an Automatic if I could go back.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The reason that the coyote makes more power pound for pound than a gt500 is the big bump in compression and how awesome the coyote cylinder heads are. Its nothing more than that. I am sure that playing with the cam phasing helps a bit but mainly is how good this motor breathes and the high compression.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
if you really want the Shelby get it. otherwise your gonna just keep double guessing yourself

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Get what you want.. I wouldn't even consider a 13 GT500 because of the extra 250LBS and it's inability to rev very high. Not to mention you're paying $55K for the same basic underpinnings of a $22K V6 mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread