Should there be a "how to post a for sale ad" thread?

alex3610

Established Member
Does anyone else find the "just gauging interest" ads extremely annoying? I thought the market was a place to sell things, not to do marketing research on a car you may never sell. :bash:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you really think that those people who are too lazy to voluntarily post up information about what they are trying to sell, are actually going to take the time to read and follow a guide of any sort?

Have to totally agree with you there Steve. I guess the majority of those who post a for-sale ad just want to get it posted as quickly as possible in order to sell the item as quickly as possible.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Onus is on the seller to make a proper ad, not SVTP.

If you make a shitty ad with little info and wonder why you dont get any bites.....heres your sign.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

Oso

Established Member
I don't know how many times I have to repeat this but I'll say it once again.

This has nothing to do with extra moderation or policing for sale posts. In my experience, most of the awful for sale ads are from people who simply don't have the computer experience to do any better. All the sticky-thread would be is a "HOW TO" regarding for sale ads, listing what would be useful for a quick sale and to prevent 50 posts in a row asking for pictures or requesting the same information.

Of course people are still going to post stupid threads. Should anything be done about it? Of course not. It's their problem, not the forum's.

Also in my experience, anytime I'll post a "new wheels" or "new whatever" thread with a bunch of pictures, people will PM me asking how I got the pictures to show up.

There are literally threads I've seen in the past few days that people try to post pictures by wrapping image tags around:

C:\Users\Jonathan\Pictures\2009-11-15 prostars

Those aren't people who are too lazy to do it, those are people who just don't know how... Which is what the thread would be about.

If you guys don't care, I won't be bothered about it. But it wouldn't take me more than an hour or two to write out the entire thing, with screen shots and step by step instructions on how to photograph cars, how to upload photos and how to post them, along with what relevant information most people will need in order to proceed with the next step of purchasing the part/vehicle/adult-self-pleasure-device/whatever.

AGAIN- It has nothing to do with implementing a new set of rules. Nothing to do with extra moderation. Nothing to do with policing threads. EVERYTHING to do with helping interwebz noobs in order to help them sell their stuff online. I have reread my initial post and I have no idea how this wasn't clear in the first place.

Oso

Established Member
It annoys the hell out of me when I come across a poorly written for sale ad, whether it's here, CraigsList, or wherever. However, it really isn't the job or the mod/admins to police whether or not someone can write an ad to fully maximize the potential of selling their vehicle or item. I bet if someone were to put together a well written "here are some tips to sell your crap" post, we would give it some consideration. We WON'T enforce the format though, way too much turn over in that section for that.

This is what I was talking about. Holy crap I don't know how I missed this.

This is what I was offering to do in the first place. I have roughly 150,000 posts between about 50 message forums and have been posting online daily for almost 10 years. Like I said, would take me about an hour or two to screen cap EVERYTHING to show people how to post it. If this is something you're willing to sticky, I'm willing to do it. But I'm not going to waste my time if it's going to just disappear 10 pages deep in the first hour and only get like 5 views.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't know how many times I have to repeat this but I'll say it once again.

This has nothing to do with extra moderation or policing for sale posts. In my experience, most of the awful for sale ads are from people who simply don't have the computer experience to do any better. All the sticky-thread would be is a "HOW TO" regarding for sale ads, listing what would be useful for a quick sale and to prevent 50 posts in a row asking for pictures or requesting the same information.

Of course people are still going to post stupid threads. Should anything be done about it? Of course not. It's their problem, not the forum's.

Also in my experience, anytime I'll post a "new wheels" or "new whatever" thread with a bunch of pictures, people will PM me asking how I got the pictures to show up.

There are literally threads I've seen in the past few days that people try to post pictures by wrapping image tags around:

C:\Users\Jonathan\Pictures\2009-11-15 prostars

Those aren't people who are too lazy to do it, those are people who just don't know how... Which is what the thread would be about.

If you guys don't care, I won't be bothered about it. But it wouldn't take me more than an hour or two to write out the entire thing, with screen shots and step by step instructions on how to photograph cars, how to upload photos and how to post them, along with what relevant information most people will need in order to proceed with the next step of purchasing the part/vehicle/adult-self-pleasure-device/whatever.

AGAIN- It has nothing to do with implementing a new set of rules. Nothing to do with extra moderation. Nothing to do with policing threads. EVERYTHING to do with helping interwebz noobs in order to help them sell their stuff online. I have reread my initial post and I have no idea how this wasn't clear in the first place.

So I'll say again: Create a well thought out and informative how-to post, and we'll consider putting it in the Marketplace forums as a sticky. Sheesh... :beer:

I agree that there are SOME people that just lack the knowledge to create a decent for sale post (or hell, any post for that matter), but I'd say the majority of the people are just too damn lazy.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
This is what I was talking about. Holy crap I don't know how I missed this.

This is what I was offering to do in the first place. I have roughly 150,000 posts between about 50 message forums and have been posting online daily for almost 10 years. Like I said, would take me about an hour or two to screen cap EVERYTHING to show people how to post it. If this is something you're willing to sticky, I'm willing to do it. But I'm not going to waste my time if it's going to just disappear 10 pages deep in the first hour and only get like 5 views.

:thumbsup:

Feel free to write something, mods will take a look at it and decide if it should be posted. I see no reason why it wouldn't be. :rolling:

Oso

Established Member
:thumbsup:

Feel free to write something, mods will take a look at it and decide if it should be posted. I see no reason why it wouldn't be. :rolling:

LOL my bad dude, I totally missed it. I'll work on it tonight when I get home from work if I don't fall asleep the second I walk in the door.

Users who are viewing this thread