simple nitrous question

700hp04Mystic

Established Member
I have ran 2 mach 1 and atleast 10 96-98 cobras with 150 shot with no tunes at all and have never blown one up or hurt anything. that is a no bs story ask injectafuel he can vouch for that. also have my 04 cobra with nitrous with a tune for over 2 years now without a single issue and have sprayed it a bunch on the motor tune. I have had nitrous on everything I have had and the only car that I have ever had tune was my 04 cobra. just my experiences.

700hp04Mystic

Established Member
I have a couple brothers that live in circleville that like to race I've been planning to make a trip up that way to see what it's all about but haven't made it yet haha and of course I only track race

what is your brother name? id say I no them if its steve and cj I no them real well.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I've run nitrous in the past on a few cars, and I guess I can't understand why anyone would risk their motor when a tune can be had for $250 or less?? To each his own I guess.

I'm going 150 wet most likely real soon on my '11.

:pop:

CharlieR

Established Member
This is my last post in here, OP is getting a tune if he get N2O so I'm happy.

Ha ha. That's funny. I'm not arguing that a tune will make more power and cars will pick up more with one. All I'm saying is it does work with no issues. I don't know whst DBW issues Charlie keeps referencing but we never had one issue with it in my car. Maybe it's in manual cars? But my buddies M6 GT doesn't do it either.
Why would less timing and more fuel make more power? See below and you'll figure it out. If you get any Torque Management/Drive by wire interaction you'll know it pretty quick(most likely faster than you can release the button). Manual and auto cars have it, but manual cars also have clutch protection that can kill the throttle after a hard/quick shift.

Which is why I said no tune. You wouldn't run any nitrous on a motor that is tuned to run NA. I will bet with anyone we can run 100 or less all day on a stock GT and it will love it, and have nothing bad happen to the motor.

Also, you're saying running a wet kit off the rail will result in no lean spike? Because obviously everyone says otherwise. Can you elaborate on how you came to this conclusion?
I got the #'s from my 1 pre maf -2 degrees, .036 jet dyno. *I don't have the exact timing #'s other than it was set at -2 global.

N/A run: from 2500 to 6800, timing stayed where put, Lambda was .87(about 12.25:1) no issues.
On 1st(only) try .036 jet: run from 2500 to about 5000, hit n2o @ 3000 lambda spiked to .96(about 13.5:1) and came back down to .87(fuel trims going nuts up then down) and timing kept dropping(didn't notice till after aborted run but it dropped 8 degrees when it spiked) @ 5000 run was aborted because it was still detecting knock and wasn't sure if it could remove enough. And yes that was about a 60hp shot. If it's removing timing it's seeing knock, if it's seeing knock it is hurting the pistons. Sorry it just is.

I've only seen 1 wet kit log(a local car) and it had no "lean spike"(A/F stayed good, 100 shot) but fuel pressure dropped from 52 to mid 40's till the pump caught up, would a 150 lean out :shrug: but nothing a BAP won't handle. But I still don't like liquid going through my intake, this is just my personal opinion.

i am looking at n/outlets kit:part #: 00-10144
i notice the kit jumps from 100-150 shot. wouldnt 150 be a little much for the stock pistons reguardless of tune.? id like to see about a 125 shot.
Not really but, You could get a 125 jet(get with the kit maker for a corresponding fuel jet) if that's what you really wanted. I have a 150(.063) jet but I don't need to run any faster, but my tune is set for it.

I have ran 2 mach 1 and atleast 10 96-98 cobras with 150 shot with no tunes at all and have never blown one up or hurt anything. that is a no bs story ask injectafuel he can vouch for that. also have my 04 cobra with nitrous with a tune for over 2 years now without a single issue and have sprayed it a bunch on the motor tune. I have had nitrous on everything I have had and the only car that I have ever had tune was my 04 cobra. just my experiences.
Again different animals. No wide band O2's, no drive by wire, no torque management. And I'm just betting you were running wet kits, if you run a wet kit on a 2011-^ the injectors will cut fuel back from the injectors to cure the "rich" condition.

I'm done, everyone have a nice day, and a Happy Easter. :D
Kid, I'll see ya in the next 1. :D

700hp04Mystic

Established Member
id love to know were u can get your car tuned for $250. sct + tune = way more then 250. but I no what you mean about the motor cost to.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I got the #'s from my 1 pre maf -2 degrees, .036 jet dyno. *I don't have the exact timing #'s other than it was set at -2 global.

N/A run: from 2500 to 6800, timing stayed where put, Lambda was .87(about 12.25:1) no issues.
On 1st(only) try .036 jet: run from 2500 to about 5000, hit n2o @ 3000 lambda spiked to .96(about 13.5:1) and came back down to .87(fuel trims going nuts up then down) and timing kept dropping(didn't notice till after aborted run but it dropped 8 degrees when it spiked) @ 5000 run was aborted because it was still detecting knock and wasn't sure if it could remove enough. And yes that was about a 60hp shot. If it's removing timing it's seeing knock, if it's seeing knock it is hurting the pistons. Sorry it just is.

I've only seen 1 wet kit log(a local car) and it had no "lean spike"(A/F stayed good, 100 shot) but fuel pressure dropped from 52 to mid 40's till the pump caught up, would a 150 lean out :shrug: but nothing a BAP won't handle. But I still don't like liquid going through my intake, this is just my personal opinion.

Sorry to dig up last months nitrous tune battle, but I got a question about the lean spike. If I sprayed with car with a 125 shot on a nitrous tune, would I be able to plug in my handheld and see if it threw any codes?

CharlieR

Established Member
Sorry to dig up last months nitrous tune battle, but I got a question about the lean spike. If I sprayed with car with a 125 shot on a nitrous tune, would I be able to plug in my handheld and see if it threw any codes?
Well, you just had to, or wait for next months n2o tune battle. :)

Yes if it throws a code your hand held should show it. But it may "spike" and not code. I don't have a clue as to what level of fuel pressure loss or n2o jet it takes to "spike. Best to log it, but I'd guess it'll show "good". On the one I saw F.P fell some but A/F stayed as commanded.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Well, you just had to, or wait for next months n2o tune battle. :)

Yes if it throws a code your hand held should show it. But it may "spike" and not code. I don't have a clue as to what level of fuel pressure loss or n2o jet it takes to "spike. Best to log it, but I'd guess it'll show "good". On the one I saw F.P fell some but A/F stayed as commanded.

I talked with Shaun about a nitrous tune. He said he's not even doing nitrous tunes for basic nitrous kits until there is a fix for this lean spike issue. I have a Bama nitrous tune now and it seems ok while spraying, no codes, intake manifold is still on. This Friday I'll log it at the track and post results.

Users who are viewing this thread