simple nitrous question

KidMoney

Established Member
I run nitrous on my 12 and on my 03 cobra , both dry shots and both were tuned , I would never run nitrous without a tune but half the people I race in my area have untuned nitrous cars , I've seen them last and I've seen them break , IMO if you work in your own stuff and you can turn wrenches then roll the dice , but if you have to pay people to work on your car then I would just save up for a tune. I work on my own stuff but I'm obsessive compulsive and would be thinking about not having a tune for nitrous the whole time I was racing BUT I'm enough of a gear head that if I needed to prove a point whether my car blew up or not I'd would spray my car without a tune :) but not on a daily basis , just my 2 cents

Ha ha. That's funny. I'm not arguing that a tune will make more power and cars will pick up more with one. All I'm saying is it does work with no issues. I don't know whst DBW issues Charlie keeps referencing but we never had one issue with it in my car. Maybe it's in manual cars? But my buddies M6 GT doesn't do it either.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
Ha ha. That's funny. I'm not arguing that a tune will make more power and cars will pick up more with one. All I'm saying is it does work with no issues. I don't know whst DBW issues Charlie keeps referencing but we never had one issue with it in my car. Maybe it's in manual cars? But my buddies M6 GT doesn't do it either.

Hey where r u at in ohio ? I'm about 20min south of Chillicothe

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
A guy from your area bought my old cobra , yea we have a lot of guys with newly built machines gonna be out this summer , a few very fast 03-04 cobras , a few fox bodies and some 96-98 cobras , all ranging from 500hp on up , some friends of friends have a few f-bodies with some serious power too , we get into a lot of racing ,at the track of course :) , I'm sure we could hook up sometime this summer and get everybody together and hang out

DeepimpactGTCS

Established Member
I have a couple brothers that live in circleville that like to race I've been planning to make a trip up that way to see what it's all about but haven't made it yet haha and of course I only track race

KidMoney

Established Member
A guy from your area bought my old cobra , yea we have a lot of guys with newly built machines gonna be out this summer , a few very fast 03-04 cobras , a few fox bodies and some 96-98 cobras , all ranging from 500hp on up , some friends of friends have a few f-bodies with some serious power too , we get into a lot of racing ,at the track of course :) , I'm sure we could hook up sometime this summer and get everybody together and hang out

Sounds like we should get together. You gonna be at any of the Kil-Kare FNL events?

Nitrous Outlet

Established Member
Woah this blew up. KidMoney, this is the thing, in the LS1 camaros you could get away with 100 shot on a bone stock car. Do we recommend it, not at all. Some people are missing that the OP has a 93 tune on the car which would mean he has advanced timing. If anyone thinks that they can get away with advanced timing and spraying 100 shot you would be crazy.

Tune any amount of nitrous that you spray! If not you run a huge risk of grenading your motor. The people that half ass nitrous are the ones that blow up their cars and give nitrous a bad name.

There is already a huge myth about lean spikes in the 5.0 with wet systems. (which is untrue!) We don't need people blowing up their cars with no tune because they read it somewhere.

KidMoney

Established Member
Woah this blew up. KidMoney, this is the thing, in the LS1 camaros you could get away with 100 shot on a bone stock car. Do we recommend it, not at all. Some people are missing that the OP has a 93 tune on the car which would mean he has advanced timing. If anyone thinks that they can get away with advanced timing and spraying 100 shot you would be crazy.

Tune any amount of nitrous that you spray! If not you run a huge risk of grenading your motor. The people that half ass nitrous are the ones that blow up their cars and give nitrous a bad name.

There is already a huge myth about lean spikes in the 5.0 with wet systems. (which is untrue!) We don't need people blowing up their cars with no tune because they read it somewhere.

Which is why I said no tune. You wouldn't run any nitrous on a motor that is tuned to run NA. I will bet with anyone we can run 100 or less all day on a stock GT and it will love it, and have nothing bad happen to the motor.

Also, you're saying running a wet kit off the rail will result in no lean spike? Because obviously everyone says otherwise. Can you elaborate on how you came to this conclusion?

Last edited:

DeepimpactGTCS

Established Member

I too would like to hear the wet kit lean spikes myth explained as I am getting ready to purchase a dry kit for my own car

02reaper

Established Member
I run nitrous on my 12 and on my 03 cobra , both dry shots and both were tuned , I would never run nitrous without a tune but half the people I race in my area have untuned nitrous cars , I've seen them last and I've seen them break , IMO if you work in your own stuff and you can turn wrenches then roll the dice , but if you have to pay people to work on your car then I would just save up for a tune. I work on my own stuff but I'm obsessive compulsive and would be thinking about not having a tune for nitrous the whole time I was racing BUT I'm enough of a gear head that if I needed to prove a point whether my car blew up or not I'd would spray my car without a tune :) but not on a daily basis , just my 2 cents

So Shaun tuned your car to run a dry shot?

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member

i am looking at n/outlets kit:part #: 00-10144
i notice the kit jumps from 100-150 shot. wouldnt 150 be a little much for the stock pistons reguardless of tune.? id like to see about a 125 shot.

whiteboyawesome

Established Member
i am looking at n/outlets kit:part #: 00-10144
i notice the kit jumps from 100-150 shot. wouldnt 150 be a little much for the stock pistons reguardless of tune.? id like to see about a 125 shot.

My buddy has been running his 2011 for about a year now on a 150shot and has never had a problem good tune and a window switch

turbosha

Established Member
My buddy has been running his 2011 for about a year now on a 150shot and has never had a problem good tune and a window switch
what kind of times he runnin?
i just figured on stock pistons would be a bit much. maybe not.
i ran 125 on a carbed fox, but they have factory forged pistons.

whiteboyawesome

Established Member
what kind of times he runnin?
i just figured on stock pistons would be a bit much. maybe not.
i ran 125 on a carbed fox, but they have factory forged pistons.

Idk what times he has ran i gotta talk to him shouldnt be too good hes on street tires and im gonna hit my 97 cobra with a 150 even tho the pistons and rods are weak tune does wonders

turbosha

Established Member
thats not good. i was wanting a solid na tune and no2 tune fro the same place.
who offers the most trusted no2 tune??

Users who are viewing this thread