simple nitrous question

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
Im not betting anything. But if this does go down ill show up to watch. I have us43 dragway. Union hill. Beach bend and huntsville drag all with in a 2 hr drive.

KidMoney

Established Member
Nope, no button. Window switched kit with tps. Need to get a time set and get OP(if he will, I only used him for example) and we'll do it. But don't misunderstand I get nothing if car fails compression or leak down that loss is between you and whoever is the "guinea pig". Remember you "claim" 10 bottles have no proof, sold car and I data logged at JMS making the 1st kit. I know what DBW and TM can do and if your ex '13 hasn't had a failure I'd say ya didn't spray near 10 bottles.

I'm only running it on a button. Just like I did in my car. I know exactly how much nitrous I ran through it. We have our own filling station. I couldn't care less what you think about how much nitrous was sprayed through it. We started spraying the car with less than 1000 miles. It had over 9000 when traded it. I had to take the kit off for them to do the first oil change. It was at the track 5 or 6 times on spray and raced on the street a bunch. There's nothing you can do to disprove those facts. The car will work period.

KidMoney

Established Member
Yes, my opinion....and Nitrous Outlet's opinion, NX's opinion, NOS's opinion, JMS's opinion (should I keep going?). Anyone can experiment and get aways with things now & then. What I'm giving people is sound advice and the advice of the nitrous kit suppliers themselves. Just because your experiment worked doesnt mean everyone will get away so lucky.

There was no experiment. The car worked perfect. Never 1 hiccup, not so much as a burnt plug. I'm sure you can benefit from a tune compared to stock, but a tune is not needed.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Need4speed03, your car seems to run pretty well. To run the same as you are, I'm sure you need a tune. But it's not needed to run mid 11's.

Thanks, it moves out pretty good and hopefully I will have faster times coming soon!

Again, I just want to reinterate MY OPINION...a tune needed for any kit with any shot.

(The quote by KidMoney above is HIS OPINION based on HIS EXPERIMENT on his BONE STOCK 2013 GT, who claims to have put 10 bottles through the car then traded it in on a Shelby when it had only 9,000 miles on the clock)

Just want to be clear...

KidMoney

Established Member
Thanks, it moves out pretty good and hopefully I will have faster times coming soon!

Again, I just want to reinterate MY OPINION...a tune needed for any kit with any shot.

(The quote by KidMoney above is HIS OPINION based on HIS EXPERIMENT on his BONE STOCK 2013 GT, who claims to have put 10 bottles through the car then traded it in on a Shelby when it had only 9,000 miles on the clock)

Just want to be clear...

To be perfectly clear and honest, it wasn't bone stock. It did have 07-09 SVT wheels on it. And it was at least 10 bottles. The same kit will be on the Shelby soon.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
There was no experiment. The car worked perfect. Never 1 hiccup, not so much as a burnt plug. I'm sure you can benefit from a tune compared to stock, but a tune is not needed.

I call it any experiment because its not recommended by any of the manufacturers of the kits, and not recommended by anyone actually. You thought it would work so you tried it...hense the "experiement". In this case your experiment worked (you claim from your experience). Thats all I meant.

I dont want people coming one here reading this thread and think its general knowledge and an acceptable practice to run a nitrous kit on the 2011+ mustangs without a tune...because it is not.

2012csgt

Established Member
There's tons of proof. I've got a whole bunch of people who know how my car ran. Best pass at the track was a 12.00@118 absolutely bone stock down to the factory tires. If somebody wants to put their money where their mouth is we can get can try it again. I know a car we can use. There's not a doubt in my mind it would have went high 11'a on a factory tire with a few more tries. Mid 11's on a drag radial. All you bench racers can sit there and think what you want. We are out here actually racing and using parts. I don't have to listen to what someone told someone who's uncle tried it.

And we used a button because I didn't wanna splice any wires. We ran the kit in about 40 min. There are plenty of people who saw my car at the track, including members on here. So basically I don't care what you think.

So Kid, after about 10 bottles run though your 2013, you went 12.0s, you picked up a few tenths and a a few mph. That reward was definitely with the risk. Lol. Nice job. :bs:

CharlieR

Established Member
Yes, my opinion....and Nitrous Outlet's opinion, NX's opinion, NOS's opinion, JMS's opinion (should I keep going?). Anyone can experiment and get aways with things now & then. What I'm giving people is sound advice and the advice of the nitrous kit suppliers themselves. Just because your experiment worked doesnt mean everyone will get away so lucky.
:) I still have "issues" with his statements. Remember 1 it's a 13 that has enough dbw gremlins to hinder burnouts with advance track off. 2. No proof like the 80-100 slips from 10 bottles 3. Car went away, never "posted" a "look here MF I was right" and I can't see him not doing so.

But you're right it's getting silly and hopefully no one will lose an engine. P.S. one left us this month@ our local street car race. 6-speed on slicks, 4500 3/4 throttle launch, dumped clutch and "matted" it, hooked hard and bogged then kicked out a rod. 180 wet kit not sure who tuned it but not a "tune" issue IMO a window switch would have prevented it. :( Dude took it in stride.

Im not betting anything. But if this does go down ill show up to watch. I have us43 dragway. Union hill. Beach bend and huntsville drag all with in a 2 hr drive.
I understand, But you're not betting anything...well, I guess you'd be betting an engine cause I could lose the 500(not to big a deal), and the guinea pig will still have engine damage(big deal). I'll bring a bore scope to see all the sparkling piston tops. Sorry, now I understand :beer:

KidMoney

Established Member
So Kid, after about 10 bottles run though your 2013, you went 12.0s, you picked up a few tenths and a a few mph. That reward was definitely with the risk. Lol. Nice job. :bs:

It picked up 9 tenths and 8 miles an hour. Do you need a calculator? Not bad for $200 and an hours worth of work.

KidMoney

Established Member
:) I still have "issues" with his statements. Remember 1 it's a 13 that has enough dbw gremlins to hinder burnouts with advance track off. 2. No proof like the 80-100 slips from 10 bottles 3. Car went away, never "posted" a "look here MF I was right" and I can't see him not doing so.

But you're right it's getting silly and hopefully no one will lose an engine. P.S. one left us this month@ our local street car race. 6-speed on slicks, 4500 3/4 throttle launch, dumped clutch and "matted" it, hooked hard and bogged then kicked out a rod. 180 wet kit not sure who tuned it but not a "tune" issue IMO a window switch would have prevented it. :( Dude took it in stride.

I understand, But you're not betting anything...well, I guess you'd be betting an engine cause I could lose the 500(not to big a deal), and the guinea pig will still have engine damage(big deal). I'll bring a bore scope to see all the sparkling piston tops. Sorry, now I understand :beer:

The car was street raced. So no, I didn't get on here posting time slips. I have some if you'd like to see them. I'll also get you my exact jet size and post up pictures of the kit. There are probably 100+ pictures of my car racing and hopefully I can find some video. I don't need you to believe me, because I don't care what you think. I answered the OP questions. With facts. Not stuff I heard from someone else.

And we don't need his car. I have a buddy with a stock 13 GT CS M6 car who is more than willing to take the bet. There are 3 1/4 mile tracks within 45 min of us. Bring your kit, your $500, and your video camera. I'll supply the button.

DeepimpactGTCS

Established Member
The fact is dry kits can be put on cars with out a tune. It has been done on many different cars before. And I too have seen a bone stock car get sprayed with a dry kit with no ill effects

CharlieR

Established Member
The car was street raced. So no, I didn't get on here posting time slips. I have some if you'd like to see them. I'll also get you my exact jet size and post up pictures of the kit. There are probably 100+ pictures of my car racing and hopefully I can find some video. I don't need you to believe me, because I don't care what you think. I answered the OP questions. With facts. Not stuff I heard from someone else.

And we don't need his car. I have a buddy with a stock 13 GT CS M6 car who is more than willing to take the bet. There are 3 1/4 mile tracks within 45 min of us. Bring your kit, your $500, and your video camera. I'll supply the button.
I'm not posting what I heard. Been through this with you before, and your internet personality says if you sprayed 10 bottles through your 13 without damage you would have posted here long before now to show how smart you are.

KidMoney

Established Member
I'm not posting what I heard. Been through this with you before, and your internet personality says if you sprayed 10 bottles through your 13 without damage you would have posted here long before now to show how smart you are.

Are you serious?? I don't need to prove it to anyone to feel smart. I will prove it to you for your money though. You threw out a challenge, I accepted. When are you ready? We are ready now. Come prove me wrong and show everyone how smart you are....

CharlieR

Established Member
Are you serious?? I don't need to prove it to anyone to feel smart. I will prove it to you for your money though. You threw out a challenge, I accepted. When are you ready? We are ready now. Come prove me wrong and show everyone how smart you are....
I'm smart enough to not blow up my/or anyone else's car. I'm smart enough to know if you add 100 hp through n2o(or boost) that the A/F will be unsafe at commanded and therefore actual lambda. Also smart enough to know what adding 100-180#-ft torque will cause TM to do with DBW. And finally I'm smart enough to know and have seen stock cars with minimum mods run 12.0's So 12.0 slips or your buddy running 12.0 "on spray button" will prove nothing.

KidMoney

Established Member
I'm smart enough to not blow up my/or anyone else's car. I'm smart enough to know if you add 100 hp through n2o(or boost) that the A/F will be unsafe at commanded and therefore actual lambda. Also smart enough to know what adding 100-180#-ft torque will cause TM to do with DBW. And finally I'm smart enough to know and have seen stock cars with minimum mods run 12.0's So 12.0 slips or your buddy running 12.0 "on spray button" will prove nothing.

Ha ha. Of course now that I called your bluff you'd make up excuses. That's hilarious. You should refrain from offering absolute advice to people when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

The answer to the question you have OP is you DO NOT need a tune to run a dry kit and a small shot of nitrous. I wouldn't run a wet kit without a tune. But that's only my OPINION.

Last edited:

CharlieR

Established Member
Ha ha. Of course now that I called your bluff you'd make up excuses. That's hilarious. You should refrain from offering absolute advice to people when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

The answer to the question you have OP is you DO NOT need a tune to run a dry kit and a small shot of nitrous. I wouldn't run a wet kit without a tune. But that's only my OPINION.
Don't laugh yet. I was just stating that a basicaly stock car can go 12.0's. Tune and tire cars run 12.0's everyday(at least when the track is open). I'm not driving to you, can meet, can use your buddies car, but need some control because I can run 12.8's @ 108 then next pass go 12.0@116 and never touch the nitrous. Leans too far you way using you buds car can't prove or disprove "stock tune", driver fudging, ect. But I'm still willing, maybe I'll be in other lane and compare "pick-ups".

I picked up 1.4 seconds and 15 mph with 12) degrees of timing a 10.2:1 A/F on a 100(Way safe,I know) And you picked up .8 and 9 on stock timing and a/f and still believe you were not hurting your engine. You(and hopefully your friend)realize for knock sensors to remove timing it has to "see" knock? The dude who threw a rod didn't think he needed a window switch because it worked all the other times.
I will continue to give this advice as long as people ask if it can be/should be/has/is safe. And I will not say "in my opinion" because I've seen data so it's fact to me and I will state it as fact.

O.k. in your opinion why not a wet kit? If a dry is good why not wet? A/F, timing, dbw, torque management will all still be = actually untill the trims start cutting the injectors back the wet kit would have a closer to acceptable A/F ratio, but in the end both will have the same. So why is one overly timed, lean, computer able to close throttle at anytime set-up good and one isn't.

KidMoney

Established Member
Don't laugh yet. I was just stating that a basicaly stock car can go 12.0's. Tune and tire cars run 12.0's everyday(at least when the track is open). I'm not driving to you, can meet, can use your buddies car, but need some control because I can run 12.8's @ 108 then next pass go 12.0@116 and never touch the nitrous. Leans too far you way using you buds car can't prove or disprove "stock tune", driver fudging, ect. But I'm still willing, maybe I'll be in other lane and compare "pick-ups".

I picked up 1.4 seconds and 15 mph with 12) degrees of timing a 10.2:1 A/F on a 100(Way safe,I know) And you picked up .8 and 9 on stock timing and a/f and still believe you were not hurting your engine. You(and hopefully your friend)realize for knock sensors to remove timing it has to "see" knock? The dude who threw a rod didn't think he needed a window switch because it worked all the other times.
I will continue to give this advice as long as people ask if it can be/should be/has/is safe. And I will not say "in my opinion" because I've seen data so it's fact to me and I will state it as fact.

O.k. in your opinion why not a wet kit? If a dry is good why not wet? A/F, timing, dbw, torque management will all still be = actually untill the trims start cutting the injectors back the wet kit would have a closer to acceptable A/F ratio, but in the end both will have the same. So why is one overly timed, lean, computer able to close throttle at anytime set-up good and one isn't.
It picked up 9 tenths on a regular radial. And with a little more track time it would have ran 11's. It would have ran mid 11's if I took it on drag radials. We only raced it on the street on drag radials and it was a monster. As for the wet kit, they pull fuel from the rail which I don't like on the returnless system.

The car is bone stock with zero parts yet. No amount of driving is gonna make it run 12.0's. You can see if we spray it just by the MPH.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I'm done here, hopefully the OP and anyone else who reads this that is thinking of spraying their 2011+ Mustang will make an educated decision based on the sucess and knowledge of many and not the sucess of one experiment.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
I run nitrous on my 12 and on my 03 cobra , both dry shots and both were tuned , I would never run nitrous without a tune but half the people I race in my area have untuned nitrous cars , I've seen them last and I've seen them break , IMO if you work in your own stuff and you can turn wrenches then roll the dice , but if you have to pay people to work on your car then I would just save up for a tune. I work on my own stuff but I'm obsessive compulsive and would be thinking about not having a tune for nitrous the whole time I was racing BUT I'm enough of a gear head that if I needed to prove a point whether my car blew up or not I'd would spray my car without a tune :) but not on a daily basis , just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread