Since when is a Camaro a "sports car"

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
[ame=http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182774]Open Letter from Al Oppenhieser to the Camaro Nation and Ford. - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

Catch up? Really? This guy is as delusional as they come. So tell me Mr. Camaro Sports car guy. Who took 7, thats right 7 Years to come back to the pony cars? Your fat pig is no better off than it was in 2002. Jealousy is what that thread is about!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
LOL...several things bug me but I will start by saying good for him to keep his followers and camaro faithful hopeful and upbeat.

Now the Camaro is a sports car>? really? even I find this absurd, its a PONY car!!!! american muscle isnt it? well makes sense since the camaro sold more than mustang basically because of cornballs who wanted to have their own "bumblebee"!

I guess since the Camaro is now a sports car and not a muscle car, ill just group it together the rest of the sports cars that pretentious d-bags buy....such a slap in the face to the original camaro's....oh Al.O you sure know how to insert foot into mouth!

jonesd

Established Member
sports car-
n.
An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It's technically a sports car in the general classification of vehicles. Any vehicle made with performance as the number one priority is classified as a sports car. So from the Mustang/Camaro to the Veyron are all sports cars. Within that each vehicle can be divided up into other categories like muscle car, pony car, supercar, etc.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Open Letter from Al Oppenhieser to the Camaro Nation and Ford. - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Catch up? Really? This guy is as delusional as they come. So tell me Mr. Camaro Sports car guy. Who took 7, thats right 7 Years to come back to the pony cars? Your fat pig is no better off than it was in 2002. Jealousy is what that thread is about!

Well after reading that letter, it is quite clear that Al O is indeed a very delusional man. I just thought the comments of SVTP posters of Al were just giving him a hard time for standing behind his product, but this dude is just giving out wrong information and is living in another realm. How in the world has the Camaro been in the lead over ANYTHING Mustang? The only Camaro that is better than the Mustang as of late is the late to the game '12 ZL1 over the '12 GT500 that has been out MUCH longer than the ZL1....which of course still isn't even out yet but will be out the same time the '13 GT500 is going to be out :smmon:. As far as I'm concerned the '12 GT500 didn't have a competitor and the '13 GT500 is what matches up to the ZL1. No wonder C5 is filled with so many misinformed people when you have their messiah spouting off things that are simply not true. Honestly, after reading that garbage I have lost even more respect for GM. :nonono:

And a poster in that thread said that letter was "classy". That letter is the exact opposite of classy...maybe that poster meant it as a sarcastic remark (lol). Al O needs to come back down to earth and be slapped around with a little bit of reality. It's like the guy has the mentality of a 10 year-old.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
honestly, i've thought the "pony car/muscle car" labels have been absolutely retarded bullshit since the fox body/3rd gen F-body. these are cheap, lightweight(relatively speaking), good handling cars. it's been decades since the days of "hayl, stick that ther big ass engine een it!" factory cars. i mean, even if GM put the 7.0l in the camaro(like they damn well should!), that's a compact engine that weighs less than most european/japanese V8s.
the only car that lives up to the muscle car/pony car name today is the challenger. big, heavy, fast cars with a nice marshmallow suspension.

so, yea, i would absolutely call both the mustang and camaro sports cars. more so the mustang, but the camaro fits. both are FAR closer to the original boss 302 and Z28 than the boss 429 and COPO 427.

sports car-
n.
An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds.
key word

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I think of Mustangs and Camaros as Sport Coupes being "effectively" 2+2 and the Corvette as a Sports Car being "effectively" just a 2-seater. Yet, some 2+2's are thought of as Sports Cars. IMHO, assuming your car is designed with high performance in mind, as the useability of the rear seats devolves to "laughable" your Sports Coupe evolves into a Sports Car. It's like a continuum. Of course, to the general public any small performance oriented (power, acceleration and handling) is often thought of as a Sport Car.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
Wow that thread made my head hurt.

IMO, by strict definition, neither the Camaro nor the Mustang is a true sports car. However, nobody is going to show up at your door and kick you in the nuts if you label one as such.

I'm excited to see the same-day head-to-head comparisons which will surface once both cars are out. It seems a lot of people have spent assloads of time on internet forums for the past few months arguing about which car will be faster. IDGAF really; I'm just glad the Camaro/Mustang war is back on.

Users who are viewing this thread