Skeeter Syndrome

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Apparently, I have developed "skeeter syndrome". Basically, I have a stronger reaction to mosquito bites than normal. Case in point: I got a bite on my upper calf on Wednesday night with mild itching. Average bite. Next day, started itching around lunchtime. Had redness and swelling around 1.5" diameter. By the end of the day, a tiny pus filled blister showed up right dead center, plus it was very hard and very warm in that localized area. Not a lot different than the yellow jacket sting I had a few years ago. Very itchy, painful, throbbing. No cure, but thankfully hydrocortisone cream curbs the itch. Can be caused by a specific breed, and tiger mosquitos are prevalent in my back yard. Been running bug zappers with mosquito attractant, but live out in the country with acres of farmland around. No standing water in my two acres, but my backyard never gets direct sunlight and has very soft/fertile ground.

I've been having similar reactions all summer, and I swear they come running for me when I go outside. I've been spraying down with repellant but I was out for maybe five minutes Wednesday. Moral of the story: Looks like no more shorts for me, and long sleeves when I'm working outside for any amount of time.

Not life threatening or anything like that, but my gosh it can about drive you crazy if you get several bites at once.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never heard of mosquito bite issues like that. Could it be some new breed of mosquito that somehow got here from another country like South America? Every so often I read a news report of some new mosquito found somewhere in the U.S.

Darn illegals!!! :ROFLMAO:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
This year has been the best mosquito year I’ve ever experienced.

Had a super dry spring, clearly cut down on the eggs and shit at the statt of the year.

Usually, if you’re outside about 30-45 minutes before sunset, you’re running for your life from the pointy suck bags.

This year, I have been bitten maybe 5 times. It’s amazing. Bring on this type of climate change, please.

Northeastern Indiana for reference.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
I've never heard of mosquito bite issues like that. Could it be some new breed of mosquito that somehow got here from another country like South America? Every so often I read a news report of some new mosquito found somewhere in the U.S.

Darn illegals!!! :ROFLMAO:
Nope not a new breed. A friends son is the same way. Swells up like a ping pong ball. It's a bad reaction.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Apparently, I have developed "skeeter syndrome". Basically, I have a stronger reaction to mosquito bites than normal. Case in point: I got a bite on my upper calf on Wednesday night with mild itching. Average bite. Next day, started itching around lunchtime. Had redness and swelling around 1.5" diameter. By the end of the day, a tiny pus filled blister showed up right dead center, plus it was very hard and very warm in that localized area. Not a lot different than the yellow jacket sting I had a few years ago. Very itchy, painful, throbbing. No cure, but thankfully hydrocortisone cream curbs the itch. Can be caused by a specific breed, and tiger mosquitos are prevalent in my back yard. Been running bug zappers with mosquito attractant, but live out in the country with acres of farmland around. No standing water in my two acres, but my backyard never gets direct sunlight and has very soft/fertile ground.

I've been having similar reactions all summer, and I swear they come running for me when I go outside. I've been spraying down with repellant but I was out for maybe five minutes Wednesday. Moral of the story: Looks like no more shorts for me, and long sleeves when I'm working outside for any amount of time.

Not life threatening or anything like that, but my gosh it can about drive you crazy if you get several bites at once.

This is the exact same thing that happens to me. I figured it was normal reactions. I get eaten alive when I'm outside at dusk. About two weeks ago I had 8 bites on my back alone and I was wearing a shirt. I've killed them while they were biting through the shirt.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I go out and they eat me alive. My wife goes out and not a bit of a problem.

Of course I brag about being sweeter than her...
Tiger mosquitos are the culprit, but they've been in our area for several years. Never had any issue other than the normal reaction till this year. And I'm 51yo.

They say blood type sometimes has something to do with what they target.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I haven't thought about whether it is new for me, but the size and itchiness of the bite seems worse, and the biggest thing is the fact that I can squeeze it and clear puss will come out of the bite and it will dry quickly and become like a little crystal sort of, or like the crust you get in your eyes in the morning. Sometimes it will come out of the bite on it's own but it's likely cause I'm scratching it.

utlong31

Established Member
I haven't thought about whether it is new for me, but the size and itchiness of the bite seems worse, and the biggest thing is the fact that I can squeeze it and clear puss will come out of the bite and it will dry quickly and become like a little crystal sort of, or like the crust you get in your eyes in the morning. Sometimes it will come out of the bite on it's own but it's likely cause I'm scratching it.

This is how it’s been for me my whole life. They’ve always gotten the size of a silver dollar and formed a pus pocket. Hate them with a passion.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

beau t

Established Member
They make a "leaf blower" with an attachment to blow repellant (i guess) into the trees that will cut down on the population of mosquitos, Stihl makes 1 i have a buddy that has 1 but dosent use it says its to heavy but says it works for about 2 to 3 months and you have to respray. This may be a option.

tistan

Established Member
Makes you wonder. I've lived in Colorado for 5 years now. In the time I have been here I have seen maybe 4-5 mosquitos and that was by a pond or reservoir. This year I had to close my house up because of all of the mosquitos. We have news reports of people getting West Nile. Where did they all come from?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They make a "leaf blower" with an attachment to blow repellant (i guess) into the trees that will cut down on the population of mosquitos, Stihl makes 1 i have a buddy that has 1 but dosent use it says its to heavy but says it works for about 2 to 3 months and you have to respray. This may be a option.

We have a service that comes out every few weeks and does that kind of spraying.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Makes you wonder. I've lived in Colorado for 5 years now. In the time I have been here I have seen maybe 4-5 mosquitos and that was by a pond or reservoir. This year I had to close my house up because of all of the mosquitos. We have news reports of people getting West Nile. Where did they all come from?
Made in a lab. They are modified, they got dumped in a few places around the US.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Back when I was in scouts we had a camp master that would take garlic pills. He swore by them because he never used repellant and never got bit.

Users who are viewing this thread