Skyline GTR or 02/03 Lotus Vs. 03 Cobra...outcome?

Pyro

Established Member
These weren't races but I ran across a yellow Lotus and white Skyline GTR both within 20 minutes of each other. The Lotus didn't wanna race and the Skyline was in a residential area. I was just wondering how they would compare to a modded Cobra such as mine?

I have to admit, the Lotus looked pretty awsome while the Skyline was a sleeper.

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
was it a lotus esprit or elise ? and the skyline gtr with mods and awd would be a fair race with you, the lotus would lose depending on which model :)

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by machncobra
was it a lotus esprit or elise ? and the skyline gtr with mods and awd would be a fair race with you, the lotus would lose depending on which model :)

I believe the Lotus was the Esprit. I've seen pics of the Elise and it was not "curvy" like that although it looked pretty small like the Elise.

I'll have to google it.

Pyro

Established Member
OK, I googled it and it was definitely an Esprit. How fast are those??

MrBonus

Established Member
Originally posted by machncobra
twin-turbo v8

350 hp

295 ft/lbs

0-60 : 4.4 secs

1/4 mile : 13.1-13.0

I'll bet the Esprit will pull throught the 1/4 mile alot faster than that. They're extremely light for their power output.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
These weren't races but I ran across a yellow Lotus and white Skyline GTR both within 20 minutes of each other. The Lotus didn't wanna race and the Skyline was in a residential area. I was just wondering how they would compare to a modded Cobra such as mine?

I have to admit, the Lotus looked pretty awsome while the Skyline was a sleeper.

The Lotus and the Cobra have VERY identical acceleration figures, stock-for-stock:
http://www.car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=38&id2=179

Just as stock '03s are actually 12-second cars, easy, so are Esprits.

As you are quite modded, you might've won, as I don't think Lotus Esprit owners are big modders...don't quote me on that, though.

Because they're TT V8's, I am sure they take as good to mods, as an '03 does.

As for the Skyline (IF it was a GT-R), I'm sure somebody with the money to ship something like that here, won't leave it stock for long. Without a limiter, those things top-out at around 180MPH, at about 350AWHP (TOTALLY underrated). They are also capable of high 12's stock. Don't count on AWD losses either from a roll, as those things are RWD when the back-tires are gripping:coolman:

Would've been excellent races either way:beer:

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by joegt38
With your mods you would beat both. What kinda power you putting down?

I dont know for sure but I will let you know Friday when I get a custom dyno tune for my Predator.

Pyro

Established Member
Re: Re: Skyline GTR or 02/03 Lotus Vs. 03 Cobra...outcome?

Originally posted by carrrnuttt
The Lotus and the Cobra have VERY identical acceleration figures, stock-for-stock:
http://www.car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=38&id2=179

Just as stock '03s are actually 12-second cars, easy, so are Esprits.

As you are quite modded, you might've won, as I don't think Lotus Esprit owners are big modders...don't quote me on that, though.

Because they're TT V8's, I am sure they take as good to mods, as an '03 does.

As for the Skyline (IF it was a GT-R), I'm sure somebody with the money to ship something like that here, won't leave it stock for long. Without a limiter, those things top-out at around 180MPH, at about 350AWHP (TOTALLY underrated). They are also capable of high 12's stock. Don't count on AWD losses either from a roll, as those things are RWD when the back-tires are gripping:coolman:

Would've been excellent races either way:beer:

Wow, that's some good info. Too bad neither wanted to play although I'm sure the guy in the Skyline would have if the time and place was right. My town isn't that big so I'll keep an eye out for him. Skylines are fast, no doubt but I think part of their reputation comes from 2F&2F AND the fact that they are rare. I bet if 03 Cobras were that rare, it would have a bigger "oooh ahhh" factor. To me, it looked like a riced out Honda Prelude.

Last edited:

SSlayer96

Wheeeeeee!!
Established Member
I get sick everytime I see 2F2F when the S-281 E gets trashed. I didn't like the fact that they trashed all those American car...and the BMW M3. They need to make a movie about American cars like they did in 2F2F I would definetly be in line for the movie. Just my .02

F23A4

Established Member
Originally posted by SSlayer96
I get sick everytime I see 2F2F when the S-281 E gets trashed. I didn't like the fact that they trashed all those American car...and the BMW M3. They need to make a movie about American cars like they did in 2F2F I would definetly be in line for the movie. Just my .02

What?? They had Crown Vic police interceptors in 2F2F.

j/k

But they did feature that Chevelle and Charger at the film's climax; one of which was featured in that cool fake jump (onto the boat). Oh wait, you meant MODERN American cars.

As far as movies, how many movies and TV shows have featured Mustangs over the past 4 decades? Dozens! Mustangs are overexposed in movies, if anything. But imports get two stinking movies (TFATF and 2F2F) and you domestic guys have a cow.

I guess Toyota (Supra), Nissan (Skyline GTR), Mitsubishi (Evo), Honda (NSX) and Mazda (RX7) is not worthy to have a 'headline car' in a movie. :rolleyes:

ZX2Down

Established Member
one was a Yenko Camaro (drool) not sure what the other was, its really pisses me off that in the movie they disabled the AWD system of the skyline just to do a better burnout

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
I know that skylines have lots of petential but arent they only 275hp stock?? Also i remember i read in import tuner a while back they had some tuner Skyline with mods and stuff and they track tested it to an amazing 12.50 @ 111.

1BadKB03

Established Member
the theory always is if the skyline isn't modded when the fact is they always are i'm american til the day i die but you better have some firepower before messing with a modded skyline

Jamie33

Up in smoke
Established Member
i met a guy a few months ago who has a white vspec R34 GTR with grey wheels.

did you see this skyline in like the encinitas or del mar area in CA?

if you want to setup a race, i could make a call...

:)

joegt38

Established Member
Their is a highly modded skyline here in chicago around my house. The guy that owns it owns a shop "top speed" Its blue if anybody ever went to the import shows here in chicago they definatly would have seen it.

As far as them running high 12s stock I don't think so. I have a dvd that show a stock gtr running the 1/4, auto cross and top end runs. The best 1/4 time was 13.3 @ if I remember 108.

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by Jamie33
i met a guy a few months ago who has a white vspec R34 GTR with grey wheels.

did you see this skyline in like the encinitas or del mar area in CA?

if you want to setup a race, i could make a call...

:)

This was a white Skyline in Chino Hills with a big fart can. I didn't hear any BOV but as it turned into a residential area, it DID take off pretty quick. I believe those require some serious $$ to mod though. Not cheap like the Cobras or even the Supras.

Users who are viewing this thread