Slicks vs pro radials

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Slicks are super, and I mean super sticky. The entire driveline including rear end would need to be beefed up to handle the instant hit of the slicks. Pro radials are a good medium between slick and DR. still allow for the sidewall to flex, but aren't as soft as true slicks.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Slicks are super, and I mean super sticky. The entire driveline including rear end would need to be beefed up to handle the instant hit of the slicks. Pro radials are a good medium between slick and DR. still allow for the sidewall to flex, but aren't as soft as true slicks.

Disagree... I've seen more input shaft/axle/spider gears break from drag radials then bias ply or slick.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
A drag radial is harder on the drivetrain then a slick. On a M6 car slicks or a bias ply tire is the way to go...autos don't shock the drivetrain like an M6 car so drag radials work really well. I've never used the MT Pro radials but I've heard they are insanely good!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Disagree... I've seen more input shaft/axle/spider gears break from drag radials then bias ply or slick.
It depends on what trans you have, too. Most slicks out there are soft compound, so they stick like crazy. I've heard of a few people breaking shafts and such launching on a full slick over a pro radial.

The DRs breaking stuff are probably on stick cars trying to launch at 5k off the foot brake.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
simple

stick - slicks
auto - dr's

/thread
What about street cars running a 15"? It is a fair weather car so I don't care about wet weather but I hate the feeling of a slick "tracking". But if you think it is that far supior I will look into them and suck the feeling up.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Radials have less rolling resistance.

We've done ALOT with the M/T Pro Series tires. We actually run those on our 2011 and a few other projects (Al's turbo 2011, James Otto's 2005 and the list goes on).

If it's a high horsepower stick shift car you'll have alot better luck with a set of stiff sidewall slicks. Otherwise I'd go with a radial all day long.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What about street cars running a 15"? It is a fair weather car so I don't care about wet weather but I hate the feeling of a slick "tracking". But if you think it is that far supior I will look into them and suck the feeling up.

on the street the radial is def the way to go if your driving on it. neither tire (if your talking the m/t pro) is rated for street use.

I however drive on them everyday.

cold weather is still fine on the m/t like any other stickier tire, but wet is a no no...

any stickier tire is going to be slicker in the cold weather, but I would still rather have the m/t under the car than anything else

331coupe

Established Member
Radials are a faster tire, not sure how they work with a manual trans. Radials on a tight track with a high hp car with a auto will go faster than a slick.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
on the street the radial is def the way to go if your driving on it. neither tire (if your talking the m/t pro) is rated for street use.

I however drive on them everyday.

cold weather is still fine on the m/t like any other stickier tire, but wet is a no no...

any stickier tire is going to be slicker in the cold weather, but I would still rather have the m/t under the car than anything else
I know they aren't but I am looking at a M&H or M&T, it isn't my daily so if I see rain in the forcast I will let it sit.

Users who are viewing this thread