SLP LM2 or Flowmaster?

FMD

Established Member
Hi there guys, I just finally got my 01 Cobra, and the guy has an entire flowmaster exhaust already on it. Now, ive always planned on Kooks long tubes, kooks x pipe with gutted cats, and then a SLP Lm2 Catback.The cat back is all im gong to focus on at the moment, and Ive been going through the sound files trying to hear any difference but the low quality is killing me.

Has anybody heard these both in person and have a fairly accurate description, and whats better in their opinion and why? I want to just buy the exhaust but then if it sounds like crap ive wasted 600 bucks on something I dont want. Thanks in advance guys!

FMD

Established Member
Any explanation why though? Ive heard that the LM2's arent retarded raspy loud like the LM1's, and not many people have that exhaust so I figured it would be unique, everybody who has mustang usually goes flowmaster so I didnt want to just be another cutout lol. Thanks for the input btw

pbeechner

Established Member
Meh, I really didn't like the flowmaster setup on my car originally. I have a Bassani O/R X and now I switched to the 2.5" MAC catback. Ridiculously loud.... and once I go with a MAC O/R H, it shouldn't be as raspy...

If I were you, I would go for the LM2s, or even a MAC catback with an O/R H. IMHO, the MAC catback and Bassani X I have on my car actually sounds somewhat similar to the LM2s.

Moral of the story: I don't really like flowmaster in any way haha

:beer:

Last edited:

FMD

Established Member
lmfao Thank you pbeechner for the in depth description, thats what I needed. Its not that I DONT like them, but its... idk, too mild for me? The car is special, so I want the noise it produces to be the same. At my second job near the raceway, I must see thousands of cars a day and yet certain times ill hear just one exhaust and know the exact person driving it, thats what im shooting for with my car. Im probably going to go SLP LM2 now, and if not I can always switch it back and sell the SLP as pretty much brand new haha. Thanks again man :)

pbeechner

Established Member
No problem. Here is a walk around vid of my car with the MAC catback and the Bassani X. It is only at idle, but you can tell it is a loud, deep sound. It only gets louder up the rev range.

Walk around of my '99 SVT Cobra - YouTube

Also for reference, here is a video of the exhaust on my car when it was the flowmaster system and bassani X.....

My 1999 SVT Cobra Start-up and Rev - YouTube

I'm sure you'll be happy with what you choose, but either way you can always change it haha

Rudders331cobra

Established Member
Any explanation why though? Ive heard that the LM2's arent retarded raspy loud like the LM1's, and not many people have that exhaust so I figured it would be unique, everybody who has mustang usually goes flowmaster so I didnt want to just be another cutout lol. Thanks for the input btw

I had flows and swapped to Magna flow. Its more of a mellow tone with my or/x. I got tired of the flows with all the drone just cruising around. But either way keep us posted on what u do.

FMD

Established Member
Hmm... The videos both sound pretty sweet, I guess ill just have to see once everything is in place. Thanks again man, I apreciate the help very much.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
I have Bassani x pipe with high flow cats, and Flowmaster catback. It was on the car when I bought it, so its hard to justify changing it when it was a free upgrade. But, deep down I don't like them. I wish they were just a tad louder as it is a weekender for me.

FMD

Established Member
Honestly thats how I feel right now Slow. I like the sound, but I know the SLP would be beautiful. And if worst comes to worst, like I said earlier, I could always sell the Flows or the SLP, depending on which I prefer. And this is actually a DD for me... :S

FMD

Established Member
Oh god unseen dont say that... I was only going to do catback right now (Gotta pay off the car first and such before major mods) but hearing you say it sounds sweet with no cats and long tubes is killing me right now lmao

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Its worth it lol.Sounds tame but has a really nice deep sound to it but once you get on it hard, its ferocious. O and not raspy at all.:beer:

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
If I had to choose between the two I would go SLP LM2 all day long. I am not a big fan of Flows on our mod motors.

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
I had the LM2's originally and they are a good exhaust system. They aren't as raspy as the LM1's, the tone is a bit more refined and tuned sounding. But I switched them out for Borla S-Type when I first heard those catbacks in person. Best sounding exhaust on the market. Below is a video of the. Olras on a GT, they sound even better through the winding resonating pipes of an IRS. Trust Me.

2000 Mustang GT, Borla S-Type catback - YouTube

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Alright, now I gotta throw my $.02 in, watch in HD for best effect:

Old: stock manifolds, O/R x-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers

[youtube_browser]CduMiM6ie2I[/youtube_browser]

New: Mac LT headers, Mac O/R Prochamber, Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers

[youtube_browser]Bopw5PMXU1g[/youtube_browser]

As the catback stayed the same, the overall volume of the exhaust is about the same but they sound quite a bit different. The new setup is deeper and fuller whereas the old setup was more higher pitched and "cracked" more.

I like the new setup a bit better.

Last edited:

franks98_coBra

Established Member
ive spent all kinds of money on exhaust and im still not finding what i want. The set up I hated the most was offroad x and chambered mufflers, too raspy.

FMD

Established Member
It isnt that im not a fan of it, its just everybody has Flows on our year mustangs, so sick of hearing the exhaust note. I eventually planned on Kooks long tubes, kooks X pipe with gutted cats, and the SLP LM2 catback, sound like a good setup or not so much? Thank you for the HD exhaust clips btw guys :)

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have Bassani x pipe with high flow cats, and Flowmaster catback. It was on the car when I bought it, so its hard to justify changing it when it was a free upgrade. But, deep down I don't like them. I wish they were just a tad louder as it is a weekender for me.

If you have the 5 piece mid pipe get the test pipes from Bassani. Pulling the cats out will make a big difference. I recently installed new cats on my set up because at times it was a little much. The over all tone didn't change. It just got quieter.

Users who are viewing this thread