SLR Camera help

White608

Go faster
Established Member
I'm going to get a camera for a Christmas gift. I don't know much about them. I've read some reviews but I'd like to get real world opinions. I have a $400-$500 budget. Any recommendations ?

GodStang

Established Member
I love my Canon XSi. That whole line is great (Xi, XTi, Xs T1i, T2i, T3i). Great Beginners Cameras. The Nikons are also nice.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Not sure what they cost right now but the wife has a Rebel T1i and loves it. When she takes pictures to walgreens to get them developed they always bug us about getting a release so the quality is pretty nice as far as I know.

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
with a budget of 400-500$ i would not get a DSLR. You will be getting a bottom of the barrel camera.. You would be better off getting a higher end point and shoot camera.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Today's Woot is a good starting option. It is an Canon XS for $400. (woot.com).

Nikons are great - just keep in mind that not all lenses have the Auto Focus motor built into them. With Canon - they do.

Another great place to look for gear is Craigslist. You get cheap prices and the ability to play with the camera (or lens) before you actually pay for it. I've done that many time.

Canon refurbished is another place to look - that have some Canon T3 in your price range.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I bought a Canon T2i kit for my girlfriend for $589 on Amazon. That is a smoking deal considering Best Buy wants $799. Get the T2i deal. You can't beat it!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
with a budget of 400-500$ i would not get a DSLR. You will be getting a bottom of the barrel camera.. You would be better off getting a higher end point and shoot camera.

The problem with point and shoot cameras, even higher end ones, is that they just don't hold value. If photography turns into a serious hobby, an SLR can be upgraded later. If it doesn't, you can sell it and not lose too much.

Boomer v3.8

Established Member

Beg to differ.
I'd rather shoot with a slightly older DSLR than anything newer PAS camera with bragging pixels.

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member

Negative. The cheapest DSLR is better than almost any point and shoot. The sensor size between the two is no comparison and you can buy better lenses for the DSLR with a large apeture for low light shots that will put a point and shoot to shame.

BearsFTW18

Established Member
I got my Nikon D3100 for $550. I love it. But it ended up being $740 after the tripod, memory cards, and $100 2 year warranty through Best Buy. That $100 is TOTALLY worth it because it covers everything. If you spill water on it and it stops working, if best buy cant fix it they will give you a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread