Small to medium flashlight needed

Troponin

Established Member
I need a solid flashlight. One that isnt just rated at a certain lumen, but one that is tested and true to its claimed brightness. I am only famliar with a few different names, like Surefire, and I know it's a good brand, but wanted to make sure there isn't a company that makes them just as good, but without breaking the piggy bank.

The reason why I need this light to be good is because it will be used as part of my home protection gear and will sit next to my firearm. I need this thing to be bright as hell, rugged and be able to count on it working every time.

Do we have any gurus on the subject?

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Keep in mind, if you get a bright as hell flashlight you will trash your own night vision. Any setting over 150 lumens will shock your own eyes if you turn that sucker on in the middle of the night. Just something to keep in mind.

Look at thrunite, fenix and streamlight - all Chinese but solid brands.

I own all of those brands and even surefire. None have ever given me issues.

Decide what batteries you want to go with main ones are AAs or cr123a the latter is superior but expensive.

Another main thing is menu options, I prefer to keep it simple. Lookup reviews on the various menu systems as some are simple and some are crazy complicated!

You also need to nail down what technique you will be using as that may have some impact on your light choice.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
How about a Maglight LED? If you run out of ammo, the damn maglight can be used as a bludgeoning tool.

Moose04

Established Member
I've always like the Streamlights. I had a Streamlight Stylus Pro and I really liked it. It was small, light, and bright.

01GTB

Established Member
I have quite a few LEDs, and there are a lot of good ones out there. Never had any problems out of the Fenix brand. I've got a couple ThruNite lights that are great for wowing onlookers. But they are not great lights to carry or drop on your bare foot.

The one I use most is the Fenix LD41. It's medium sized and feels good in the hand. I've also given them to several friends and relatives because of being able to use 4AA batteries. I prefer not to give lights as gifts that use lithium ion batteries. There are 3 generations of them out there. A 520, 680 and 960 lumen. All have dual tail switches. They are floody with pretty good throw. The LD will run on alkalines, but I highly recommend rechargeables. They have too much current draw on hi for alkalines. I've had them leak in short order trying it.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld41-led-flashlight-2015-edt/ This is the current 960 lumen.

In a smaller light that uses a lithium ion, I like the Fenix PD35. Less than half the size of the LD41 and 960 lumen output. Little more floody yet, but will still put nice light out at 200 ft. It uses one 18650 battery. If you don't want to spend $40-60 dollars on a charger and batteries, it will run on two CR123 disposable batteries. Has a tail switch to turn on and a side switch to control brightness level. I can tell you though, after buying one light that used 123 batteries eight years ago, I never bought another one. Rechargeable batteries are the way to go no matter if they are lithium ion or NiMH. They have a couple of versions of this currently available.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35-led-flashlight-960-lumens/

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35tac-led-flashlight-tactical-edition/ Tactical

For batteries, I use Eneloop AA for the LD and Orbtronic 3400 mAh 18650 for the PD. Charge both with the NiteCore i4 or d4 charger. NiMH batteries are safer than lithium ion. You want to use a good protected cell and follow a few precautions with lithium ion. Hence why I would never give one as a gift to a casual user.

And while we are on the subject, the little Olight i3s is a nice little 1 AAA keychain light. Puts out a stupid amount of light on hi for a tiny little piece. It's barely any bigger than the battery.

http://www.amazon.com/Olight-Olight-i3S-Black-B-XP-G2-80-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B00AGD0MZY

A little warning though. LED flashlights are highly addictive. You may end up with 20 of them. Including a couple like the Thrunite like I mentioned which are not all that useful for anything other than impressing friends and pissing off neighbors.

Last edited:

phillycobra99

Established Member
Streamlight Stinger. I've used it as a duty light and it can take a serious beating. It uses a rechargeable battery, has high-low, and strobe feature.

I also have a surefire Z2 combat light, which is alot smaller but it has an issue where I have to smack it to get to work occasionally.

_Snake_

Established Member
Olight makes really nice lights that won't break the bank and are perfect for home defense / everyday carry. I have two and countless friends have bought one after seeing mine.

My favorite place to shop is www.batteryjunction.com

Their prices are competitive, and they have almost everything you could ask for.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I just traded in my 10 year old stream light stinger, it had been through a beating. I dropped in a number of times on concrete, been dropped in coolant. Besides blowing bulbs I had no issues. I have a new LED stinger and to me it is lighter and it's so much brighter. It came with a recharger base with an extra battery.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Never knew there were so many LED flashlights (650+ lumens). That Fenix LD-41 (2015 edition) at 960 lumens is one I'm interested in. I like the size. I presently have a longer (3 D batteries) Coast HP17 that is 650 lumens. I paid around $80. for it last year. How does Coast compare to Fenix, quality wise?

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Another vote for a Streamlight. I use the Survivor every day at work as a railroad conductor and it's not only rugged but i can see for a very long distance. I also have one on my bunker gear at the firehouse and it's been indispensable there as well.

Troponin

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback. I will start looking in to these lights.

So I am curious, what makes the lithium ion powered lights unique? I have read a few times to be cautious when using them, but no one mentions why.

01GTB

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback. I will start looking in to these lights.

So I am curious, what makes the lithium ion powered lights unique? I have read a few times to be cautious when using them, but no one mentions why.

You want to use a good protected battery. You don't want to mix and match them. I like to buy a battery for a flashlight and that's the only one it ever goes in. I mark all my lithium ions in set numbers for lights that take multiple batteries. People are fairly careless. If they had multiple brands and capacity lithium ion batteries, they might not pay attention and mix them up and have one of these and one of those in the flashlight. People have a habit of buying the cheapest thing they can. I try to only buy from battery companies that use Japanese-sourced Panasonic cells and then add their protection circuit.

Overcharging a battery like the 18650 beyond 4.3v or letting them drop below 2.8v is what usually causes the problem. Most good batteries have a circuit that will basically shut it off when voltage drops to a set level. And most good chargers will cut off when they reach peak charge.

As far as what can happen if you fail to take precautions..lithium battery short circuiting and venting itself. Usually orderly. But sometimes a fire or explosion can occur. Rare. Follow general guidelines and use good components and your risk is small.

Never knew there were so many LED flashlights (650+ lumens). That Fenix LD-41 (2015 edition) at 960 lumens is one I'm interested in. I like the size. I presently have a longer (3 D batteries) Coast HP17 that is 650 lumens. I paid around $80. for it last year. How does Coast compare to Fenix, quality wise?

The machining on the LD41 is top notch. I've accidently dropped every one of my Fenix lights on concrete at least a few times and never had a problem with them.

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I have a Surefire Fury p2x that is damn bright. Coupled it with a Surefire pop open red lens cap. I like it very much.

_Snake_

Established Member

Fenix is better quality, and I bet the LD-41 will impress you in a big way.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I've had a few stream lights, always happy with them. I have some monster 1200 lumen sucker that is awesome, but is super hard on batteries. All of my rechargeable stream lights are awesome though

01GTB

Established Member
For size comparison here is (from L-R) AAA battery, Olight i3s, Fenix PD35, Fenix LD41, 2D cell LED Maglite. This is the older 520 lumen LD41. The newer one is slightly longer.

Attachments

• photo(96).JPG
    photo(96).JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 201

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro in my pocket all the time, and keep some bigger generic flashlight in my night table. I really like the Stylus Pro for a carry flashlight, I use it all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread