SlowbaltSS

Established Member
I'm looking for a new car and I have been seriously considering a 04 Cobra. I live in the Chicagoland area and snow is common in the winter. I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with extensive winter driving in their cobra. I figure if I load up some heavy shit in the trunk, I should be ok. I drive a 1999 Mustang V6 and it's tolerable in the snow. If I hear too many horror stories, I might forget my like for American muscle and get a 06 Audi S4 when their awful depreciation value drops them to around $24000.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
I drove one with street tires on the rear when there was a light dusting on the floor. I mean literally barely any snow at all and it was all over the road. Don't buy one if your gona need to drive in the snow.

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
Hahahahahah............um, NO...! Don't even consider it any further than you already have. I grew up in Chicago (NW suburbs) and have owned all the cars that you see in my sig while living there (other than two 03' Cobras). I could not EVER drive any of my Mustangs in the snow. On my 96 Cobra, I couldn't even engage the clutch in the snow without sliding and spinning. I can't even stress to you just how bad it was! My Corvette was actually better in the snow than any of my Mustangs were. DO NOT get a Mustang for a daily driver in that area, you can thank me later.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
:-D

I drove the 01 through 6 inch snowfalls and ice storms with a nice set of designated winter tires no problem.

Can easily drop the no supercharger comment because I have 4.10's and was fine.

Modulating the gas pedal properly ensures success.

4 winters and I never saw a ditch or ever lost control of the car.

DSC02748.jpg

DSC02755.jpg

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
I drove my 04 Mach 1 year round in Ny, wasnt too bad, but you have to go into things expecting that its not the best winter vehicle. Also drove a portion of the winter on Nitto drag radials :lol:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Please don't get the Cobra. They are bad enough in dry weather and rain. Besides the traction issue, I assume they salt the roads where you live? The salt will eat the car alive and destroy it from the inside out. If you really want the Cobra, use it as a summer car and purchase a beater for the winter snow months.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I drove my 04 Mach 1 year round in Ny, wasnt too bad, but you have to go into things expecting that its not the best winter vehicle. Also drove a portion of the winter on Nitto drag radials :lol:

Exactly its not gonna get out of the hole like a 4x4 jeep. But once you are at speed it will handle just as good with a dedicated set of winter tires provided ground clearance. Same goes for braking. Good set of winter tires your gonna stop just as good if not better then the crazy in the 4x4.

I have eibach pro-kit. I think if my car was lowered anymore it would not do nearly as well. Ground clearance is key. If you cant keep the tires down you wont handle as good.

mrose75

Established Member
V6 vs. "390" HP Cobra? In the snow? Buy a FWD or 4x4. I've done a 270 taking a left turn in the rain. And I was taking it very easy because of the rain. I avoid rain at all costs and would NEVER drive in snow.

Anyone who says otherwise is F'n nuts!!

Last edited by a moderator:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Please don't get the Cobra. They are bad enough in dry weather and rain. Besides the traction issue, I assume they salt the roads where you live? The salt will eat the car alive and destroy it from the inside out. If you really want the Cobra, use it as a summer car and purchase a beater for the winter snow months.
Washing the car will take care of that, I washed mine 2-3X a week at least, and it looked just as good as the day I got it!
Exactly its not gonna get out of the hole like a 4x4 jeep. But once you are at speed it will handle just as good with a dedicated set of winter tires provided ground clearance. Same goes for braking. Good set of winter tires your gonna stop just as good if not better then the crazy in the 4x4.

I have eibach pro-kit. I think if my car was lowered anymore it would not do nearly as well. Ground clearance is key. If you cant keep the tires down you wont handle as good.

Exactly! People are just scared to drive the things during the winter!

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
ive driven mine in the snow in the past. it was all over the road. needless to say it doesnt see snow anymore. its definitely possible, but another vehicle to take care of snow duty is your best bet.

SlowbaltSS

Established Member
I've seen 3 winters in my Mustang and never lost control. Sure I fish-tailed here and there, but those are way easy to correct. Last winter I went completely sideways on the expressway going 50, corrected that with ease. I have a pretty good adrenaline response, so I never really panic when shit happens while driving. As for more hp, couldn't I just not floor it when there's snow? And the Cobra has traction control right? That should help a little bit.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Car looks dead sexy in the snow. First pic :bowdown:, Balls.
Am I crazy to think this car looks great in the snow?

:-D

I drove the 01 through 6 inch snowfalls and ice storms with a nice set of designated winter tires no problem.

Can easily drop the no supercharger comment because I have 4.10's and was fine.

Modulating the gas pedal properly ensures success.

4 winters and I never saw a ditch or ever lost control of the car.

DSC02748.jpg

DSC02755.jpg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking for a new car and I have been seriously considering a 04 Cobra. I live in the Chicagoland area and snow is common in the winter. I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with extensive winter driving in their cobra. I figure if I load up some heavy shit in the trunk, I should be ok. I drive a 1999 Mustang V6 and it's tolerable in the snow. If I hear too many horror stories, I might forget my like for American muscle and get a 06 Audi S4 when their awful depreciation value drops them to around $24000.

Is this a serious question? I live in Minnesota and would never consider it! Don't buy one, or buy a winter beater. Unless you have a death wish.

EDIT: And if they salt the roads that cobra will be rusty in no time.

94GT5.0: It's not like the salt is going to make it rust over 1-2yr period. I wash my truck plenty and it doesn't matter, paint is starting to bubble and surface rust. Do you clean the undercarriage as well? Give it time your whole underside will be rusty and work its way to the outside. It also depends on where you live and how much they salt the roads. Here, once all the snow has melted away, the roads have white all over them. No not snow, it's actually salt residue. I even wait until all of that is washed away from a few rain storms.

Last edited:

SlowbaltSS

Established Member
Is this a serious question? I live in Minnesota and would never consider it! Don't buy one, or buy a winter beater. Unless you have a death wish.

EDIT: And if they salt the roads that cobra will be rusty in no time.

My car is 11 years old and it doesn't have any rust at all. Of course there's some on the bottom, but its not that bad. And Minnesota winters are WAY different than Indiana winters. The most snow we got last winter was like 8 inches. And that was smitten from the roads by plows instantly. My town is pretty good with snow removal.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My car is 11 years old and it doesn't have any rust at all. Of course there's some on the bottom, but its not that bad. And Minnesota winters are WAY different than Indiana winters. The most snow we got last winter was like 8 inches. And that was smitten from the roads by plows instantly. My town is pretty good with snow removal.

Yes thats why it depends on where you live. I would never consider it here. Most don't know how bad it gets here. Freezing rain, gets below zero that night with a few inches of snow on top of black ice is any person nightmare, doesn't matter what your driving. Also if we have a dusting of snow, the salt trucks come out.

Theres cars here that I've seen only 2-3yrs old with rust on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread