SlowbaltSS

Established Member
Yes thats why it depends on where you live. I would never consider it here. Most don't know how bad it gets here. Freezing rain, gets below zero that night with a few inches of snow on top of black ice is any person nightmare, doesn't matter what your driving. Also if we have a dusting of snow, the salt trucks come out.

Theres cars here that I've seen only 2-3yrs old with rust on them.

I have a friend who lives in MN, that's why I know about the winters. He recently bought a Sebring convertible lol, have fun in frozen hell Shane.

GoatSlayer

Banned
DONT BUY A COBRA....if you plan on driving it in the snow....THAT SNAKE WILL BITE YOU!....My snake gave me a warning when it spun out of nowhere and ended up 1/8 of an inch from the guard rail on the opposite traffic.

SlowbaltSS

Established Member
I guess the only way to decide is if I drove one myself. I'm also looking at e46 M3s. I would be worried someone would steal it though. And the lame buzz german engineering calls an exhaust note cannot compare to a V8 growl.

Last edited:

SlowbaltSS

Established Member
I expected everyone here to be all like, "Ya man, just get some snow tires and put some sand bags in the trunk, You'll be fine." I do appreciate the honesty though. Now I have no idea on what to get. At this point, I feel like just buying a saddle for my cat and riding that around town :(

SlowbaltSS

Established Member
Lets try this:
I can afford $24000
No more than 60000 miles
Must be fast and fun
No convertibles
Stick or auto, I'm good with both
Can't cost me $1500 for an oil change
Obviously has to be at least as livable in the snow as my stock v6 slowstang
Cars only please, I drove my mom's 2007 Buick Rendezvous from NW Indiana to South Carolina. Hated being up high, felt like I was going to roll every corner I took over 25mph.

What can you lovely people suggest to me?

SlowbaltSS

Established Member
I know some of you are thinking it, NO COBALT SS. They are fast I will admit, but they're still a Cobalt. Same with the Neon SRT-girl car.

MGC

Established Member
Are you serious? Have you ever driven a 450+ hp rwd vehicle in the rain or snow? No way in hell I'd drive it in the snow. get an awd car if you need something for all year.

xenodragon

Established Member
I cant remember why, but I had to back my car out of hte garage one winter and it was snowing...I couldnt get it back in the garage. I had to put down sand and wood to get it back in....i wouldnt drive it in the winter

black 10th vert

Established Member
Are you serious? Have you ever driven a 450+ hp rwd vehicle in the rain or snow? No way in hell I'd drive it in the snow. get an awd car if you need something for all year.

^ this definitely sums it all up! I know you say you have a great "adrenaline response", and stuff like that, but if you have never driven a 450+rwhp vehicle before, even in the rain, I would definitely not recommend it. Also, as others have said, why would you want to subject a limited production vehicle to road salt anyway? Even washing it every day, I can assure you that salt will destroy the car in no time. Sure, you may think that it looks as good as ever on the topside, but really, you have no idea of how much damage is being done inside panels, and underneath. Get your current DD up on a lift sometime, and you will see what I mean...

If I was in your shoes, I would buy myself a WRX all day, everyday! They are quite fast, handle awesome, and best of all 4WD to handle whatever weather you drive in.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i have never driven my terminator in the snow, but i have been scared so bad in rain that the car no longer goes on the roads with even a chance of rain. I got stuck in a monsoon rain storm in the middle of a 5 hr drive in the Cobra on street tires and was terrified.. its an awful feeling when the back end is skiing around and you cant stop cause youll get hit, cant speed up cause youll wreck and cant get off the hwy beacuse the side roads are flooded.

I did drive my 99 Cobra in the snow a few times with 245 street tires on it. That car was also not so easy to drive, it had a tendency to only start moving if i bogged it down starting in 2nd gear and it would not cruise straight, the ass end would stabilize out going down the road slightly sideways. Not fun, not encouraged, and definately not what i would call dependable in those conditions.

the 03/04 cobras are monsters in disguise (aka stock form), you only see their true form when you start modding.. then you know what they are capable of and what they REALLY shouldnt be doing on the roads... snow and rain = garage time for mine.

If you want one.. at least budget for a cheap DD that can be dependable for those conditions when the cobra is on lockdown.

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
Lets try this:
I can afford $24000
No more than 60000 miles
Must be fast and fun
No convertibles
Stick or auto, I'm good with both
Can't cost me $1500 for an oil change
Obviously has to be at least as livable in the snow as my stock v6 slowstang
Cars only please, I drove my mom's 2007 Buick Rendezvous from NW Indiana to South Carolina. Hated being up high, felt like I was going to roll every corner I took over 25mph.

What can you lovely people suggest to me?

Something AWD or FWD without MONSTER low end torque while working the clutch. STI, EVO, Cobalt, etc... I know you really want the Cobra, but trust me, you wil be sorry you did when you're sliding sideways all the way to work/school. Get a turbo car that you can have fun with when the roads clear, but can also easily handle the trek through the snow and salt with traffic all around you.
A lot of these guys are right, it IS POSSIBLE to transport yourself from point A to point B, but very dangerous and full of stress. :beer:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
OP, Id suggest getting and Evo. Easy to mod, and can be quick for fairly cheap.

Side note, I cant believe how many people are scared to drive a car in the rain, let alone on street tires :lol:. Ive had to drive my drag car ~30miles back from the track when its gotten rained out, and that has no wipers(Rain X is tits!), and its on 28X10.5 MT Drags!! Never had one issue with sliding all over, not being able to stop, or anything like it.

I do however agree, if you are not used to a rwd car and its dynamics, and you DONT have a level head on your shoulders, that you shouldnt jump into a higher hp car and DD it in rain/snow.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
OP, Id suggest getting and Evo. Easy to mod, and can be quick for fairly cheap.

This.

Or you can get a subie, but I wouldnt buy one if you plan on modding. They make great dd's though, i would entertain the idea of a wrx for a DD if the price was right.

while yes, with the right tires, you *can* drive a 03/04 in snow, doesnt mean you should.

Users who are viewing this thread