So I made the switch from radials to bias ply.

qcksnake

Established Member
Some good advice in here and some bad.

For what's its worth here's what I use. There is one 11-up manual car faster than me and it isn't an mt-82 car, and I'm just an individual not backed by a shop.

Manual will and can run on the pro radials, you will need great chassis setup ,and great track prep,and will break parts more often due to drive line shock.

I run mt 28x10.5 stiff sidewalls with tubes and rim screws. When the car really started making power I moved the 29.5x10.5 stiff sidewall and kept the tubes and rim screws. I normally ran 10.5 psi hot (after burnout) and have zero movement or "sway" as these guys call it.slicks are meant to be run with tubes, read the instructions. Sure you can get away without them but these cars arnt 2800 lb foxbodys. My car was capable of mid 1.30 60s on a great track which it never had around here and would go consistent 1.41/1.42 on a non prepped track which is what we typically end up with around here at 1/4 miles.

Here it is at 1/4 with very little to no track prep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprmb_UilzA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
I just dish soap the inside of the tire and run tubeless. No problems in two years running like that. Haven't had to add any air. Some minor walking of the tire on the rim over all the passes I've made but, nothing serious.

Hoosier indicates tubes are optional. This is straight from Hoosier FAQ:

Should I use "tubes" in slicks and DOT drag tires?

ANSWER: The decision to run tubes is ultimately up to the racer. Hoosier drag tires are capable of safely running without tubes at the race track. Race tires are inherently susceptible to air leakage due to being built of very light gauge material needed to perform in various racing applications. A decision to use a tube should be based on your application and needs. (Top) :

86merc

Established Member
I run mt 28x10.5 stiff sidewalls with tubes and rim screws. When the car really started making power I moved the 29.5x10.5 stiff sidewall and kept the tubes and rim screws.

How was clearance with these? Any pictures with them on the car? Thanks

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
I just dish soap the inside of the tire and run tubeless. No problems in two years running like that. Haven't had to add any air. Some minor walking of the tire on the rim over all the passes I've made but, nothing serious.

Hoosier indicates tubes are optional. This is straight from Hoosier FAQ:

Should I use "tubes" in slicks and DOT drag tires?

ANSWER: The decision to run tubes is ultimately up to the racer. Hoosier drag tires are capable of safely running without tubes at the race track. Race tires are inherently susceptible to air leakage due to being built of very light gauge material needed to perform in various racing applications. A decision to use a tube should be based on your application and needs. (Top) :

I'm assuming you are running QTPs? I want to run ET streets because they are DOT approved but I hear the hoosiers hold air better without a tube. Also, do you still balance the wheel with a slick? I know it's kind of a dumb question, but I always thought slicks spin a little bit on the rim.

Justin81

Established Member
FWIW,

I ran E.T street Bias Ply tires from 16 years old until 28 years old. I never in my life had a traction problem. In the last 4 years I have tried 15" Et street drag radials, 15 inch Nitto 555r drag radials and 17 inch E.t. street radials all on different cars. I haven't had a car that hooked in 4 years. I will be going back to a good old fashion e.t. street bias ply on this car.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
I recommend a stiff sidewall slick for these cars. They are too heavy for a standard sidewall slick. You can always run tubes if you have a soft sidewall slick. The tubes will help the tires act more like a stiff side wall.

Start with a higher pressure and work your way down. That way when you feel the sway you can get comfortable with it or air the tires back up.

This!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I also have a set of nearly new 28x11.5x15 QTPs I used for the NMRA true street event. Let me know if you'd like pictures

Users who are viewing this thread