So I'm I a terrible driver or does the stock shifter just blow?

Blakers01GT

Established Member
So Evertime I decide to get on it on an on ramp or anywhere I terribly miss 3rd. on my old Gt i had the tri-ax, which is better then stock but very notchy and I had to re-adjust it all the time. I was thinking the MGW with the blue handle? What do you guys think? And did any of you have serious problems missing third with the stock shifter? I mean I can hit it while granny shifting but if I try shifting fast or powershifting, it's pretty sad.

oldmodman

Established Member
You are correct, the stock shifter is terrible.
My first aftermarket shifter was thr Tri-ax. A huge improvement over stock, but I would still miss third if I wasn't carefull and didn't grip the shifter just right.
I drove another Cobra last week with the MGW shifter and I will be making the switch one more time.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I remember the stock shifter, 3rd was always more to the right than what I thought it to be. You shouldn't be missing it terribly, but you have to be more deliberate with where/how you put the handle, as it (the shifter) doesn't help you much.

I have the Tri-ax with an MGW handle and 2 1/4" round knob. I love it, no readjustment needed or anything.

Everyone that has the new MGW shifter seems to love it.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
You're a terrible driver!

Just kidding. :-D

Go MGW, you'll never regret it. I had a Pro 5.0 and I dumped it for MGW with a Red Handle.

I have a Pro 5.0 and still have problems. I may try the MGW but I doubt it'll ever shift like my Audi for example. When I switched from stock to the 5.0 the throws got shorter, but it was still notchy and not smooth from gear to gear. I'm not sure that just a shifter change can eliminate this.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
It's definitely the stock shifter. It blows.

I had a Tri-Ax on for almost 2 years and never missed third gear again.

I now have an MGW which I highly recommend.

Chunky04

Lil Bad Boy
Established Member
Im going to have to go with both....

Problem A: You probably are a horrible driver!!!

Solution: Fix that shit :beer:

Problem B: Damn stock shifters suck major ass!!!

Solution: MGW all the way!!!

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
you could also try the firewall adjuster, Ive got the MGW, but still miss 3rd sometimes when im getting on second real hard...I dont drive it very often, so seat time could help...definitely like the shorter throws with the MGW though

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I never got to try the MGW shifter but the TriAx shifter I installed did not cure all of my shifting issues. I still occasionally missed third gear. I'd rate it maybe 50% better than stock. The transmission is part to blame so no shifter is going to solve 100% of shifting issues. However, the MGW seems to be the best shifter available at this time. JMO.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
I tore up 3rd gear (literally) until I got the MGW and a quadrant. I thought I was losing my touch or something but now I'm back to not lifting the throttle and nailing every gear when I wanna.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Oh you're right, the stock shifter blows.

I will be switching to the MGW very shortly, once my GT sale is complete. I tried out the MGW on a friends' '03 Mach 1 and it was great, granted it's the 3560 instead of the 56, but I'm sure it is great as well.

The differences I noticed between it an the tri-ax are pretty big. It's a lot quieter, for one, and the throws seem even shorter. All in all, it's just a smoother shifter, and you can't beat the price, IMO.

USMC0341

Established Member
I replaced mine with a hurst shifter with a steeda handle extension, it shifts great and the reach is perfect

here's a pic of my setup
dsc00855.jpg

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
i felt the same way the day i got my cobra. i had bought an mgw shifter before i even had the car but drove it for one night with the stock shifter. i couldnt hit 3rd under wot if my life depended on it. i got the mgw with the red handle in the next morning. i havent missed 3rd yet. the shorter throws are awesome, its just about as quiet as stock, and i'm 6'2" and have no reach issues with the red handle on there. definitly the best mod so far.

Frank

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
You guys suck..................lol

I only missed 3rd once in over 15 months in this car with the stock shifter,and Ive ran lots of people..........lots.................and lots of people.

I have a Pro 5.0 in now and already missed 3rd trying to get aggressive.I got a handle adapter also coming and hopefully the 2 in closer will cure my issue,cause right now the shifter is slowin me down.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
USMC0341 said:
I replaced mine with a hurst shifter with a steeda handle extension, it shifts great and the reach is perfect

here's a pic of my setup
dsc00855.jpg
I had a Hurst shifter on my Camaro. I liked it.

Fallguy

Established Member
Good choice .....I alway's thought it was your driving though. :-D

I just installed a MGW w/red handle on saturday. I love it !! I've had a Pro50 , Steeda and now the MGW which IMO is the finest crafted shifter I've ever had. I was gonna tell you to stop over and check it out but I see you already bought one.

You'll love it !! Any question's let me know.
Install is very easy...

Users who are viewing this thread