So tell me....

~crash

Established Member
What is it like to have a Cobra R? I have a little Bullitt and would love to get my hands on one of these some day. Do majority of owners track these cars (ok sounds like a dumb question lol)? Anyone ever go to shows often with theirs? I'm just curious as to what you guys think of your cars! Let the discussion begin! :beer:

flattrack53

Established Member
well. i just actually got my first cobra r today at 7:45am. I wont ever take it to a track nor either take it to a show. I like doing my own thing, I just like going out for cruises!!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
You will find that a vast majority of Cobra R owners are just collectors that park and polish the cars. They get out on nice days for shows and low mileage cruises.

Then there are the track ho's of the group (not to point fingers or mention any names, it's best to let these people do their thing because if they don't get to the track and flog their car, they are downright crabby ;-) ) they love to take a rare car, strip and modify it, flog it, drive the wheels off of it and then let it cool in a smoldering heap until the next opportunity to do it again. They believe the SVT engineers at Ford designed these cars to be driven. And driven they are. :dancenana:

So sit back and enjoy the banter that goes on around here. It's quite entertaining actually! :-D To say that we have fun with these car would be a HUGE understatement.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I do everything with my '00R.

1) Drive it where ever it goes... just got back from a 300mile trip in it
2) Open Track it
3) Drag Race it... ran a 12.91 in it the other day on street tires & stiff suspension. It will go 12.70s on street tires when I dont bog it off the line.... not bad for 3700lb car, stock motor, very stiff aftermarket road race suspension and street tires.
4)Occasional car show... has won 6-7 top trophies so far
5)Pick on corvette owners... pulled an '08 Vette by 3 cars lengths all the way to 160mph...thats when he finally gave up

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I do everything with my '00R.

1) Drive it where ever it goes... just got back from a 300mile trip in it
2) Open Track it
3) Drag Race it... ran a 12.91 in it the other day on street tires & stiff suspension. It will go 12.70s on street tires when I dont bog it off the line.... not bad for 3700lb car, stock motor, very stiff aftermarket road race suspension and street tires.
4)Occasional car show... has won 6-7 top trophies so far
5)Pick on corvette owners... pulled an '08 Vette by 3 cars lengths all the way to 160mph...thats when he finally gave up

+ 1

I just havent run the 1/4 mile yet with mine.

34,000 miles of sheer enjoyment and just put away for the winter..

This has been probably the most reliable mustang I ever ever owned, I have no problem with taking a 1000 mile trip in it, which I've done several times.

9secondlx

Established Member
im probably the odd ball of the group. with 2 small kids there is no way im going to the track and its nearly impossible to go to car shows.

what i enjoy doing is... on the weekends pulling the R out of the garage around 5:30- 6am and just go for a slightly agressive drive through the small town back roads near me with the window down. No radio, no traffic, just the sound of the motor/exhaust , air in my face, as i go up and down through the gears.

when i get out of the car. i feel refreshed and the wife is still sleeping so i dont have to hear her b*tchin :bash: about all things I need to do instead of playing with my cars.

on another note you should have scene her face the first time she walked into the garage I built and there were 2 car lifts installed and it was filled with cars. talk about priceless..... :lol:

StillIntense

Established Member
Agree with all of the above. I have 95R #86 that is tracked about 4 times a year. Also take it to some car shows, mainly Mustang focused shows as they are the only ones who MAY know what it is....
The car was built to race, was raced by the original owners, and I try to keep it that way. By the way, the car is still better than it's current driver....

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
well. i just actually got my first cobra r today at 7:45am. I wont ever take it to a track nor either take it to a show. I like doing my own thing, I just like going out for cruises!!!

Sounds like a nice 2000R^^^^^^^.............:thumbsup:

R

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
400hp at 3700lbs vs 430hp at 3300lbs?

Good run! I think you beat the driver not the car.

The reason I raced/messed with this guy was to prove to a friend that thinks the corvette is the greatest car ever produced... that the '00R is no slouch and will hold its own. Our first run was from 60mph up to 120mph in which I pulled him by a car length. On the second run we hit it at 70 mph (3rd gear for me) up to 160mph where I was 3 car lengths up on him. This was on a dead straight road and already at speed..... so there is no real big difference in good driver/ bad driver as long as you can find the gears. The weight difference is negligible once you are running at higher speeds.

by the way... its 385hp (underated by FoMoCo) 3700 lbs Vs 400hp & ~3450 lbs..... then throw in the fact that the '00R makes a lot of power under a great powercurve and has close to 800 rpm more usable rpm range.

Until you have actually owned a '00R and driven the crap out of it.... you will never fully understand what it is capable of. In a way the car defies what its "capable of on paper"

:beer:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I was going to weigh mine at the races the other day but forgot to... I figure mine is a little heavier than stock since it has a 8 point roll bar, extreme matrix subframes, diff. cooler and 14" brakes.... its has the KB tubular front end but it has a lot of bracing so I doubt it is any lighter than the factory k-member.

flattrack53

Established Member
Yes Robert, It is an amazing car. I think i put more miles on the car then you did. i clicked 646 miles pulling into the garage!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
3450?

The number I found were 3217 for the 2008 and 3208 for the 2010 ls3. speaking of the ls3 put nearly 400hp to the ground. More than a few 390+(397 was the highest I saw) dyno curves running around. No wonder they are hitting 12.1 at 117 with a good driver.

3250 at 395rwhp
3550 at 380rwhp

I have no doubt that you beat him multiple times. I have no doubt which is the better car. Though paper numbers show the ls3 is a tad faster in a straight line. Around curves however? That would require a different answer!:beer:
It is nice to see vettes getting kicked in the ass!:rockon:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I've always wanted an 00R since the day I first saw one in a magazine. I was a Ford mechanic when they first came out, and drooled on the one 00R I saw in a showroom.

I'm still amazed every time I walk into my garage that I actually have one now. I never dreamed I would end up with modded R either, one that was not only fully prepped for the track, but already dialed in to race too. I've only owned it for about a year now, but I've put 3 times the miles on it that I put on my 427 Cobra, or Pantera, which I owned before it. The torque is insane for an NA car, and the sound of a catless R at 6,000 rpms is addicting.

I've drive it to local car meets, occasionally I take it 100 miles (each way) for some big early morning car meets in LA. I'll have it out on the track (after driving it there), and I've taken it 5 hours north to visit my car buddy in Sacramento.

So, I'm glad I didn't get a wrapper car, or one with VERY low miles.... because then I'd be the guy who "racked up miles" enjoying his R, as it was meant to be enjoyed. She wears her rock chips proudly.:lol1:

:beer:

Andy M

Established Member
As the proud owner of #155 for 5 years, I had the good fortune to spend tons of quality time behind the wheel using the car for what it was intended. The car literally brought me many many hours (and miles) of track fun! I do not and will not ever regret modding it and running the crap out of it at the track! Although not the fastest car I've ever owned, it certainly was the most fun to drive and own!:banana: This car will always hold a very special place in my heart!

93 COBRA

Established Member
I’ve owned 93R #093 since late 2000. I did the car show thing for a few years, it’s not really my thing anymore and I couldn’t care less about a plastic trophy. Now I just enjoy taking it out on nice days for some back road corner carving and the occasional local cruise night.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I have driven and riden in an 00R many times but have yet to officially own one. I will one day, for now I will have to be happy road racing what I own.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
As the proud owner of #155 for 5 years, I had the good fortune to spend tons of quality time behind the wheel using the car for what it was intended. The car literally brought me many many hours (and miles) of track fun! I do not and will not ever regret modding it and running the crap out of it at the track! Although not the fastest car I've ever owned, it certainly was the most fun to drive and own!:banana: This car will always hold a very special place in my heart!

Hey Andy! Thanks again for doing such a great job on 155. I'll give her a smack on the rear bumper for ya as I leave the house today.:lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread