Sold a car now getting tickets

joemayo

Established Member
I sold a car to a guy in Texas back in Jan of last year. The car had a Jan 11' Tag on the car at the time. I've been getting the Dallas TX tollway tickets in the mail (I live in MS). Guy has billed up around 300$ in tickets. Who do I need to call to resolve this. The tag itself has been expired since Jan of this year.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
You will need to call the telephone number that's probably listed on the citation. Explain you have sold the vehicle and you have to bill of sale to prove it. Ask for a fax number.
I've had to do this for a friend of mine.

joemayo

Established Member
Yeah I know my fault. Just signed the papers and he was on the way. Didn't even think about the tag. I will be calling TX dmv and mine tomorrow to see what to do.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
have a feeling you might be responsible due to car tag still registered in your name. best of luck......you're going to need it!

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Call the north texas tollway authority Please tell me you have a bill of sale... If you do they will probably just ask you give the info of who you sold it to, and possibly a faxed copy for proof. If not I really do not know. I had this happen with a 2002 F150 I sold a kid. I called them, got it taken care of and I never heard from them again, nor did I get any more bills in the mail.

jbenevides89

Established Member
your insurance reccords may also work. when you stop coverage on a vehicle, depending on the state your insurance company reports it to the DMV. i got a 50 dollar fee in the mail the other day for having an uninsured car with a plate on it. i sold the car a month ago and had to call and get it fixed. the dmv just let me say the plate was lost or stolen and filled out a form.

s_x_i

Established Member
Texas car dealer here:

As others have said, just call the tollway and fax the bill of sale to them.

The bigger issue here is that as of right now, the car is still registered in your name. You are liable for it, period. For private party sales, I always recommend signing the paperwork at the tax office, however I know this can be tricky. Texas titles have a detachable slip for the seller to send to the tax office, however, with you being an out of state owner, I'm not sure what provisions your state makes on its titles.

I hope you kept copies of your paperwork, I'd start making calls to his county tax office as soon as your off the phone with the tollway, they should be able to better advise you. If you don't have copies of the paperwork, there are a series of affidavits you can file if the buyer is uncooperative, PM me if you need them and I'll see if I can't dig them up for you. He's the guy committing the offense, but you're still the guy carrying the liability. You need to make this a priority and get the transfer handled. Lesson learned.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
This happened to a friend and even though he offered to show the bill of sale to them they LOLd in his face and called him an idiot. They get calls all day long about this.

oldmodman

Established Member
Yes, the license plates do stay with the car in California. Unless they are personalized plates. You actually own those.

And in California you have the buyer sign a release form with the license number and VIN on it. Then you mail it to the DMV. The state (California) removes your name as the owner and inserts the new owners information. Then the new owner has a set amount of time to re-register the car. If the car is removed from California the new state informs the Ca. DMV.

Planter

Banned
You sold the car with the tag still on it?

actually some states require this. I bought my 97 cobra from a guy in Cache, Oklahoma in 2006 and by law he had to leave the license plate on when he sold me the car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread