"Sold" my car but worried this could be a scam

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Ok I think he gets it's a scam. :lol1: Anyways, I feel bad for the people that get scammed this way. The worst part is most the time these scammers cover their tracks pretty well and get away with it. :nonono:

Established Member
Everybody needs to screw with these idiot scammers! I've gotten the same thing a few times selling various crap listed on the internet / ebay.
I love to email them back and tell them, "my bank said the check is fake".
They always come back with, "try it again, get a different bank teller this time".
How stupid do they think some people are....well, I guess they are if the scam works sometimes.

Also, I always have them make it out to "Huge Dickinsheets" or "Richard Cranium" or "Jack Meoff". It's fun to screw with these guys and get their bogus checks
and keep them going. One guy actually sent me 5 different checks from overseas
because I kept telling him that my bank said it was no good. I had him change the
name on the checks too and I told him I would have my sister / brother / friend try
to deposit the check at another bank for me.

The scammers just kept sending checks with all these crazy names I had them put
on there.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Ok I think he gets it's a scam. :lol1: Anyways, I feel bad for the people that get scammed this way. The worst part is most the time these scammers cover their tracks pretty well and get away with it. :nonono:

:beer: ... Yeah i get it's a scam... I had not gotten anything in the previous emails about the western union thing until yesterday so that's why i got the gut feeling it was shady and decided to post it up to get feedback when i read that email i posted.. Anyhow i appreciate all the feedback fellas.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
That is definately not a legit check. I work for a credit union and I see these checks pretty frequently. Do not do it. If you do deposit the check do not touch the money because that check will be returned against your account and the money will be withdrawn back out.

#1 way to know the check is counterfeit, there is multiple different fonts on the check. Google the routing number and see if it even comes up as Wells Fargo.

I googled the routing # and it did match the wells fargo bank address on the check surprisingly... however the font does look off if you look at the picture i posted.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Do not blindly present a check to a bank when you suspect it may be fraudulent. Just the act of presenting a phony check to a bank could land you in serious trouble.

This actually happened to a guy at Bank of America a couple of years ago...

This guy sold a couple of mountain bikes on Craig's List for $600. The buyer sent him a Bank of America check for $2,000 to cover shipping, etc. This was the typical "Nigeria" scam, but the seller supposedly didn't know it. The seller wanted to make sure the check was good, so he took it to a local BOA branch and asked the teller if the account number of the check was valid.

The teller checked and it was a valid account...but she also saw that there was a fraud alert on the account. She told the guy the account was valid...but that's all they told him. So he immediately signs the check and says "cash it." The bank calls the police, and the guy is arrested on the spot for attempting to cash a fraudulent check.

Eventually the charges were dismissed, but the guy now has an arrest on his record. He spent $14,000 in legal fees to have the arrest expunged from his record. The bank was not liable and refused to reimburse the guy for his legal fees.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I had someone try to pull the same scam on me when I was selling my '02 GT. The thing to think about though is that they wouldn't be doing it unless some people actually went through with it.

jesusphreak

Newby For Life
Established Member
I had a similar situation when I was selling my Xterra but not completely.

I was asking 17k for it had a guy call me said he was from Nigeria but lived in Houston and wanted it. I was like scammer but ok. So he didn't call me back for another month when I had lowered my price to like 15.5k. He called back and asked if i still had it, I said yes, and he sent guys down the next day with a Cashiers Check for the full amount to buy the vehicle (the 17k, they didn't even look for a new add, they had printed out the previous ad). They hadn't even seen the vehicle yet. I told my bank to check it out before we did it and we waited in the lobby and they called the other bank to verify funds and stuff and then I cashed the check and gave them the title and everything, went smoth.

They told me they look for 4x4 standard transmisison SUVs to export back to home cause they are really needed....
(Mine was a 6 speed 4x4 06 Xterra)

Last edited:

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
100% FAKE... Thanks to a fellow svt'er who works for wells fargo going out of his way to help notify the account holder whose account was hacked into and assist with that account getting closed so he is safe from any further potential fraud... I'm taking the bogus check to my bank to turn over as fraud.

Last edited:

Equalbracket

Established Member
Had an prisoner from Texas send me 4 $900 walmart money gram money orders, they had the watermark everything, numbers on the checks were even active but money gram wouldnt state an ammount...maybe they were 9 dollar checks. He still sells electronics online, how do they even have computers.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Had an prisoner from Texas send me 4 $900 walmart money gram money orders, they had the watermark everything, numbers on the checks were even active but money gram wouldnt state an ammount...maybe they were 9 dollar checks. He still sells electronics online, how do they even have computers.

Just read about this on msnbc.com ....... same type of scam pretty much ! :nonono:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24052349

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
100% FAKE... Thanks to a fellow svt'er who works for wells fargo going out of his way to help notify the account holder whose account was hacked into and assist with that account getting closed so he is safe from any further potential fraud... I'm taking the bogus check to my bank to turn over as fraud.

This site is somethin' else. From finding stolen cars to catching scam artists. Somebody on here has to know were Hoffa is burried...Glad to here it turned out good for you.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
This site is somethin' else. From finding stolen cars to catching scam artists. Somebody on here has to know were Hoffa is burried...Glad to here it turned out good for you.

Thanks... Yeah it's pretty ridiculous how many F'N crooks are out there.. :kaboom: I'm in the process of contacting the FBI to report my case as instructed by my bank... not that they'll be able to catch the creep but i want to do my part on reporting it at least.

Users who are viewing this thread