"Sold" my car but worried this could be a scam

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
Easy solution. Go to a Wells Fargo office and pay the $5.00 check cashing fee. If they cash it, and you walk out of the bank with the loot. It's all good. Don't worry about the bank, there is no way that they will cash it if anything is fishy.

I just sold something on Craig's list and the person came by with a Wells Fargo bank check. Since it was for a very expensive watch I told him that we would drive over to the bank and cash it. He of course said "it's a bank check you don't have to worry about it". I told him that if there was nothing to worry about then he would have the watch in about ten minutes. He said he would go get a cup of coffee and come back in half an hour. Of course he never showed up again since the check was, of course, phony. I gave the bank the check, a copy of his e-mails and the plate number off of his car. If they follow up on it I will post and let you know what happened.

agree with oldmodman. you can check to see if the check ahs funds and also have them verify with the maker by calling them on the number they have on file. if they cant get a hold of him tell your buyer that the bank wasnt able to verify the check.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Easy solution. Go to a Wells Fargo office and pay the $5.00 check cashing fee. If they cash it, and you walk out of the bank with the loot. It's all good. Don't worry about the bank, there is no way that they will cash it if anything is fishy.

I just sold something on Craig's list and the person came by with a Wells Fargo bank check. Since it was for a very expensive watch I told him that we would drive over to the bank and cash it. He of course said "it's a bank check you don't have to worry about it". I told him that if there was nothing to worry about then he would have the watch in about ten minutes. He said he would go get a cup of coffee and come back in half an hour. Of course he never showed up again since the check was, of course, phony. I gave the bank the check, a copy of his e-mails and the plate number off of his car. If they follow up on it I will post and let you know what happened.

Yes.. Let me know what happened if they nab the guy who tried to rip you off... No Wells Fargo's around me i don't think so i can't test your suggestion... However since this thread and doing some other checking online there is no doubt in my mind it's a scam.. just for the heck of it one of the fellow svt guys was kind enough to offer to investigate the info on the check as he works for wells fargo.. he's going to let me know what he finds out about this check tomorrow... i'll post his findings.

JasonSnake

Established Member
yup. The email definitely uses convincing "general" words to make it sound like he's interested in only your "item". Who says "UPS official site" anyway?

canibus

Established Member
put it this way, if someone wants to buy something from you. What do they do, lowball right? so why would he send you an extra 4g's? do this. estimate shipping and extra fees and tell him how much it will be. tell him to send you the exact amount or no deal. you'll never hear from him again

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Curious then (since I'm in the process of selling a car): how do you know a form of payment is legit, or alternatively, what should you accept and how should you process it?

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
SCAM x 200,000.

I would stop all activity immediately, make him/her show in person WITH CASH. And if he/she has an issue - tell them to GTFO of this country.

oldmodman

Established Member
Curious then (since I'm in the process of selling a car): how do you know a form of payment is legit, or alternatively, what should you accept and how should you process it?

When I sold my 1989 T Bird Supercoupe I got a call from a guy in Germany.
He wanted me to hold the car for him until he came over to Los Angeles on vacation. He mailed me an international money order for $1,000.00 as a non refundable deposit to hold the car for one month. Then when he got here he gave me 200, one hundred dollar bills. I always like getting cash!

He was looking for a very specific model. It had to be bright red, black leather interior, NO sunroof, five speed manual, and perfect condition. I sent him 20 photos and he said I'll take it.

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
ackbar.jpg

AkGirl

Established Member
That is definately not a legit check. I work for a credit union and I see these checks pretty frequently. Do not do it. If you do deposit the check do not touch the money because that check will be returned against your account and the money will be withdrawn back out.

#1 way to know the check is counterfeit, there is multiple different fonts on the check. Google the routing number and see if it even comes up as Wells Fargo.

AkGirl

Established Member

Many ways
-Ask your bank on their opinion on it. 99% of the time they can tell you if its fake.
-Search the routing number on the check and see if it comes up as same as the bank listed on the check
-Are the fonts on the check all different?+
-Anytime there is extra money sent in a check
-The "buyer" asking you to deposit it and send some back

Since I work at a credit union it is very easy for me to point out a counterfeit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread