Solid shifter bushing review

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
that new unit is very sexy!!!

good luck with it George

Ablaze

Established Member
I absolutely cannot wait to see this new release from MGW. Great information here in your post.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
MGW said:
I am not sure where the 25 percent reduction came from but we actually show closer to 37 percent reduction in the shortest shifter vs the 07 shifter which was longest

I quoted that number from FRPP's own ads.

FRPPKR-SVTShifterAd.jpg

When I have some time I'm going to look at the numbers and see if get the same percentage as you.

MGW said:
the T56 trans in the 07-09 cars was also a longer throw INTERNAL to the trans than the Tr6060...

You lost me there George. Are you saying that the throw internally was longer on the '07-'09 GT500 TR6060's than on later GT500 TR6060's?

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You lost me there George. Are you saying that the throw internally was longer on the '07-'09 GT500 TR6060's than on later GT500 TR6060's?

To the best of my knowledge the transmission in the 07 cars was not a tr6060 but the t56. And yes the gates in the tr6060 were shortened from the previous generation t56.

edit...there are conflicts on this...i am going to reach out to the engineers at tremec i know because i am 99 percent sure they told me they did not put the tr6060 in the gt500 until after the z06.

i may be wrong it has happened before lol...

George

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I quoted that number from FRPP's own ads.

FRPPKR-SVTShifterAd.jpg

When I have some time I'm going to look at the numbers and see if get the same percentage as you.

All GT500's had TR6060's. 03/04 cars used T56's and the factory shifter was horrific in those also. But simplistic to change.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
To the best of my knowledge the transmission in the 07 cars was not a tr6060 but the t56. And yes the gates in the tr6060 were shortened from the previous generation t56.

edit...there are conflicts on this...i am going to reach out to the engineers at tremec i know because i am 99 percent sure they told me they did not put the tr6060 in the gt500 until after the z06.

George

The 07-09 cars all had TR6060's. They also had a ceremic clutch from the factory which I feel probably bit harder than what has been installed since. Maybe that could be a source of all the trans issues. I know my '09 had a cool hiss noise when releasing the clutch.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I just talked to Tremec and he is checking on it. But i think i might be confusing the corvette with the gt500 we went thru this for so long back then i believe i have them mixed.... but he did say he still thinks the 2007 was the t56 spec. but i'll find out for sure...

George

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

George

BL is right, all '07-'14 GT500's had the TR6060. I'm sure you knew this but this is probably a case where you have forgotten more than most will ever know about transmissions across brands, model years, etc.

And I knew there were internal differences between the T56 and the TR6060 but wasn't aware of internal geometry changes during the '07-'14 run beyond shaft/spline/bearing changes.

If its Nate or Kevin you'll be talking to, ask them if they'll stop by. There are plenty of members here that would love to talk to them.:burnout:

The 07-09 cars all had TR6060's. They also had a ceremic clutch from the factory which I feel probably bit harder than what has been installed since. Maybe that could be a source of all the trans issues. I know my '09 had a cool hiss noise when releasing the clutch.

The '07 through early '09 MY GT500's had issues due to a faulty flywheel design and a lack of lubricant/coating in certain areas. The second gear "issues" were nowhere near what '10-'12 owners have complained about. The '07-'09 cerametallic clutch was far more aggressive than the subsequent organic units. Too bad it wasn't as user friendly as it was indeed a robust piece.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey Tob,

when you can give me a call 706-793-1770 ...Travis said you had something i might be interested in.

George

mlpascual

Established Member
Tob always impressed with your 3D CAD ability. Can't wait for the new shifter looks great hopefully it will fix my 2-3 shift problems at WOT.

mlpascual

Established Member
you have 2-3 issues? The majority of us have 1-2.

i don't ever have 1-2 issues very lucky i guess, but at the track and on the street during WOT i hit a wall when shifting into 3rd no grinding it just doesn't go in to gear its like its hitting in between the gates in the transmission i make sure i shift without grabbing the shifter i push up on the stick.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
So I read all these posts, and it seems like the problem with the 2nd gear grind is that the shifter throw is too short?

Does the new MGW come with that universal shaft as well?

Looks like a super good unit.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
George, I tore apart every factory GT500 shifter I had in order to obtain dimensions, here. Can you comment on the mechanical advantage number your new GT500 shifter will have?

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
George, I tore apart every factory GT500 shifter I had in order to obtain dimensions, here. Can you comment on the mechanical advantage number your new GT500 shifter will have?

While i do not want to give ALL the technical details on the shifter right now lol ( make the copycats work for it :mj: )
if i use your method when calculating our shifter to height etc. formula then i come up with this....

4.32 to 1

George

musclefan21

Established Member
Solid bushings and a new shifter handle from hursr completely eliminated my 2nd gear grind. It was too flexible and torqued under load and made me moss the gear. No longer flexible and goes right in the gear now.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Solid bushings and a new shifter handle from hursr completely eliminated my 2nd gear grind. It was too flexible and torqued under load and made me moss the gear. No longer flexible and goes right in the gear now.

While i am NOT questioning YOUR success in this... eliminating grinding has zero to do with missing gears. When you grind a gear you are IN THE GEAR GATE... if you missed the gear you would not grind. Grinding is only caused when you have a bad or slow synchro or a clutch issue.

George

oldlugs

Established Member
...Grinding is only caused when you have a bad or slow synchro or a clutch issue.

George

I'm one of those people wondering just how many gearbox issues aren't actually external, caused by slight misalignment of the box to engine, bad pilot bearing/bush or just clutch drag. I've seen where clutch drag from lack of lube or tight splines has caused a few problems, so whenever installing a clutch, I make sure that the disc(s) slide freely on the input shaft before ever stabbing the gearbox.
Also use a decent lubricant on the splines; "Copaslip" used to be a favorite of mine.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
George said:
...if I use your method when calculating our shifter to height etc. formula then I come up with this....

4.32 to 1

So it looks as if the ratio falls roughly halfway in between that of the slowest two Ford OEM shifters, the 07/08/09 and the 13/14. Better mechanical advantage than the KR or the 10/11/12 (your new shifter), and as such it should feel far less notchy. Thanks for providing the number.

I'm one of those people wondering just how many gearbox issues aren't actually external, caused by slight misalignment of the box to engine, bad pilot bearing/bush or just clutch drag. I've seen where clutch drag from lack of lube or tight splines has caused a few problems, so whenever installing a clutch, I make sure that the disc(s) slide freely on the input shaft before ever stabbing the gearbox.
Also use a decent lubricant on the splines; "Copaslip" used to be a favorite of mine.

I've wondered the same thing, as dialing the transmission in isn't done on the assembly line. Assuming Ford's QC on pilot bearing concentricity and the use of proper lubricant (after the '07-'08 debacle) is adequate, it really does start to point at a synchro speed issue. I really hope Tremec is going to be at SEMA this year...;-)

Users who are viewing this thread