Some people are just plain STUPID

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/teenager-arrested-threatening-tweet-american-airlines-n80006

10152678_10203172097217230_2193638325386914561_n.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In this day and age, how could she, even at the age of 14, not know that sending a threatening message like that wouldn't be taken very seriously. Not very smart!

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
She's a teenage girl that couldn't grasp the gravity of her joke and the seriousness of her contrived threat.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow ... she went full-retard ... with the afterburners just a'blazin!

But also, how much of this is the Airline and the Feds (of both nations) picking on a little girl?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I have a feeling there was peer pressure involved. Not that that is justification, but I think its absurd to believe a 14 year old wouldn't understand the stupidity of such a joke. Middle schoolers are very capable of deciphering between good and bad decisions, they're just typically persuaded into bad decisions through pressure to do so. Sure, she was only a couple years old when 9/11 happened, but obviously she grasps the situation enough to see the shock value.

Posted via Topify on Android

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Wow ... she went full-retard ... with the afterburners just a'blazin!

But also, how much of this is the Airline and the Feds (of both nations) picking on a little girl?
how do they know she is just a "little girl"? how are they supposed to tell she is not serious without investigating?

I have a feeling there was peer pressure involved. Not that that is justification, but I think its absurd to believe a 14 year old wouldn't understand the stupidity of such a joke. Middle schoolers are very capable of deciphering between good and bad decisions, they're just typically persuaded into bad decisions through pressure to do so. Sure, she was only a couple years old when 9/11 happened, but obviously she grasps the situation enough to see the shock value.
you should actually find the details and read them. no peer pressure involved .

I also find her attempts at "explanation" laughable at best

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
That'll look good for her when a company does a background check on her.

Made terrorist threats on twitter

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Picking on a "little girl"? Not at all. They're holding her accountable for a terrorist threat. Kids this age commit horrible crimes every day. One of our faults is that we don't hold kids accountable enough for their actions. Parents are not as involved in the lives of their kids as they should be, and they too often don't hold them accountable for their actions. The authorities absolutely did what they should have done. If they later choose to not prosecute her after completing their investigation, I'm fine with that. If someone makes a threat like this, expect the hammer to come down hard, even if they're a teenager. JMO.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Picking on a "little girl"? Not at all. They're holding her accountable for a terrorist threat. Kids this age commit horrible crimes every day. One of our faults is that we don't hold kids accountable enough for their actions. Parents are not as involved in the lives of their kids as they should be, and they too often don't hold them accountable for their actions. The authorities absolutely did what they should have done. If they later choose to not prosecute her after completing their investigation, I'm fine with that. If someone makes a threat like this, expect the hammer to come down hard, even if they're a teenager. JMO.

This. Make her sweat it for a while until she understands her stupidity. If she's just dumb and didn't actually have anything planned then don't press charges.

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member

I must agree.
A threat like this MUST be taken seriously regardless of the age of the culprit.
Just imagine if this threat had been blown off and suddenly there is a hijacked plane resulting in another 9/11 occourance or something.

Have you seen how many security loopholes the government has come across after the 9/11 attacks?
So many things could have been done to prevent that situation

I'm glad they came down hard with the hammer regardles of the age.
As previously stated, if they decide to drop the charges after a thorough investigation, then so be it.
But every threat (or possible threat) should be taken and handled with full seriousness

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
In case anyone else hasn't seen this yet, teenagers really are some stupid ****ing morons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...now-tweeting-bomb-jokes-to-american-airlines/

One dumb teenager is easily excused — but the host of Twitter users currently tweeting bomb threats at major airlines is another story entirely.

In case you’ve somehow missed this latest round of Internet idiocy, here’s what went down: Sunday night, a Dutch teenager identified only as “Sarah” infamously tweeted a threat at American Airlines. (“hello my name’s Ibrahim and I’m from Afghanistan. I’m part of Al Qaida and on June 1st I’m gonna do something really big bye,” she wrote. Hilarious!) She then promptly made the account private and insisted it was all a joke — “I’m so stupid, I’m scared,” she wrote at one point — but not before American reported her name and IP address to authorities, leading to her arrest in Rotterdam on Monday. (Notably, while American tweeted that the airline gave Sarah’s IP address to officials directly, Twitter has since questioned that account: Under Twitter policy, the social network does not share user information with anyone but law enforcement, and only under certain circumstances. Asked by the Post if there had been some error, however, American Airlines repeatedly refused to retract the tweet or explain it further.)

In either case, you’d think that would warn off other pranksters — but the opposite has actually been true. In fact, at least a dozen other people have threatened American or, oddly, Southwest, an unrelated airline, under the guise of a “prank” or “joke.”

@AmericanAir the bomb goes of in 3 hours

— Alden Fernandez ♥ (@AldoFernz) April 14, 2014
@AmericanAir I have a bomb under the next plane to take off

— Army Jacket . (@ShyyLicious) April 14, 2014
@AmericanAir I’m gonna bomb your 737 jet

— ▲ demi ▼ (@ddlovatosteddy) April 14, 2014
@AmericanAir You really seem to not care that i’m about to bomb your plane that’s headed to Paris. Btw, my name is Ahmed.

— Allie (@ComedyBatman) April 14, 2014
@SouthwestAir @WesleyWalrus is gonna bomb your next few flights

— donnie cyrus. (@MileyFawLife) April 14, 2014
@Politie_Rdam @YourAnonCentral @AmericanAir release her or I’ll bomb your HQ. you gonna arrest me now?

— admrl. anonymous (@nonfreak) April 14, 2014
@AmericanAir Hello Am From Iraq i Want 1Million Or I Will Plan A Bomb To Your Next Flight To Paris !! Bye Bye America ”

— The Real Slim Shady (@WaleedMeshari) April 14, 2014
@AmericanAir Hello, I’m eduardo. ago a couple of weeks were warned, i´m ignored. you will pay the consequences. Bomb! HAHAHAHA

— eduardo (@eduardo37276391) April 14, 2014
@AmericanAir hello my name is Ibrahim I think you guys are the BOMB!!!!!!

— zahra (@versaceftziam) April 14, 2014
.@SouthwestAir I bake really good pies and my friends call me ″the bomb” am I still allowed to fly?

— Kale (@KalenRiley10) April 14, 2014
We hardly need reiterate the problems with this kind of thing: airlines need to take threats seriously, no matter how silly they seem, which means a lot of airline employees (and presumably, police and security and FBI) are spending a lot of time tracking down nuisance threats, as well.

Leaving aside, for a minute, the vast waste of taxpayer money and manpower that represents, there’s another more ground-level problem here: This trolling completely destroys whatever incentives airlines have to engage with their customers on Twitter. Which is, as many a Twitter-using traveler knows, basically the only decent line of airline customer service left.

Just last week, the Post’s Andrea Sachs reported on the use of social media at major airlines — it’s “unrivaled in its efficiency,” one expert said. In other words, if you ever have a problem on a flight, social media is the surest way to get relief. Or it will be, until other Internet trolls spam airlines with distracting, and potentially dangerous, clutter. (Imagine the chaos, if 4chan or some such signed on.)

Then again, that kind of disruption is presumably just what trolls want. That term is often used as a catch-all for agents of Internet mischief and unpleasantness, but recent studies have actually suggested a link between dedicated trolling and psychopathy. To quote a February paper published in the journal Personality and Individual Differences, “it might be said that online trolls prototypical everyday sadists” — a.k.a., people who enjoy deceiving and manipulating other people.

That isn’t to say that Sarah is a sadist, of course; maybe she’s just another teenager spewing bite-sized idiocies into the void, like so many teenagers before her. Her copycats, on the other hand, know exactly what they’re doing. Let’s hope they realize how unfunny this schtick is — sooner, rather than later.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member

Juvenile records are sealed on 18th birthday.

She's a kid, and not the brightest one at that. Kids live their lives online these days and the online antics are always about the one-upmanship to be funny or for the "lawlz". Anyone who has posted on this site for any length of time should be well aware of this type of behavior.

jason6488

Established Member
Kids do stupid things. It's unfortunate she did something THAT stupid but what can you expect AA to do? Nothing really unsurprising here.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Point taken.

how do they know she is just a "little girl"? how are they supposed to tell she is not serious without investigating?

you should actually find the details and read them. no peer pressure involved .

I also find her attempts at "explanation" laughable at best

Machdup1

Established Member

She can always become a dancer down at the place by the airport when she turns 18. Stripper glitter does not care about your record.

Users who are viewing this thread