Something overheated I think?

aobers

Established Member
My wife was driving the 03 cobra home on the freeway with the cruise set. The engine just shut down on her with no warning, she pulled over and saw smoke coming from under the hood. She didn't check the temp gauge so I'm not sure what it was at, there was coolant in the engine bay. When the tow truck got there he took the cap off of the tank for the supercharger coolant and it was spewing coolant. They got the car home and I tried to start it but it turns over HARD, I'm hoping it's the supercharger locked up and not the engine. What do think are my chances? I am going to take the belt off and try to turn over the water pump and supercharger by hand. Motor is completely stock only magnaflow exhaust, 40,000 miles.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
so the engine coolant resevoir cap was fine? it only blew out of the supercharger's system?

Fat-cat

Established Member
ez way to check that is pull the belt off the supercharger and see if it turns over.

aobers

Established Member
Just got done pulling the belts off and pulling the plugs. Supercharger and all other pulleys turn no problem. Plugs have what looks like specs of aluminum on them. There was oil coming out of the throttle body. This sucks.
I'm going to my happy place now.
I'll keep you updated...

These things always overheat. The hose clamps from Ford stink and you're better off replacing them with screw type clamps. Hopefully you just had air in the system. I've been through the whole overheating thing a few times with my 01 and 03.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Just got done pulling the belts off and pulling the plugs. Supercharger and all other pulleys turn no problem. Plugs have what looks like specs of aluminum on them. There was oil coming out of the throttle body. This sucks.
I'm going to my happy place now.
I'll keep you updated...

well that sucks man. If you cant get it to start try a comp and leak down also check your oil for milky coolant. Specks on the plugs could be a couple of things unfortunately none of them positive.

aobers

Established Member
Any chance this might be covered under factory warranty? I know I am probably dreaming here but WTF stock motor with 40,000 miles burns down! If I didn't love this car I'd be selling it.

Fat-cat

Established Member
what kind of mods do you have ? If its pretty much stock there is a good chance you could have it replaced. But it would depend on the dealer and what mods you have.

hotcobra03

Established Member
hot

i didnt think the supercharger side would shutdown your engine;;;

when you open your hood the cap on the left is for blower...was the tank empty?

i too have had all the problems with overheating,,,cracked head and than again with the fan blade braking

check your fan by hand,,there has been many guys on here with this problem,,,the outer ring breaks and stops it from spinning

when you tryed to start it was it still hot?

any way to post up a pick of the plugs?could have been anti-seize

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
These things always overheat. The hose clamps from Ford stink and you're better off replacing them with screw type clamps. Hopefully you just had air in the system. I've been through the whole overheating thing a few times with my 01 and 03.

Hhaha I am adding that to my list of internet fixes.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
+1 - Also, you need to teach wifey to check the temp gauge if she is going to be driving.. . Might want to invest in an aftermarket gauge with a warning light.
Hope it's nothing serious.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Don't be too hard on her. Did it spew out of the I/c reservoir or the radiator reservoir?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
perhaps the intercooler pump locked up and overheated the supercharger.

the alum look on the plugs sounds like anti freeze. however saying that its hard to turn over could be a weak battery. could have also been alternator taking a dump at the same time.

if you have a battery jumper put that on the battery and try to restart the engine. lots of things to check off before you deem it a blown motor.

def do a compression check, but the engine sould be warm when you do it. not hot but warm.

aobers

Established Member
Fan spins free by hand

antifreeze was spewing from intercooler reservoir but not that much, when I take off the cover it still looks full, radiator reservoir is full

I am able to turn all of the pulleys on the front of the motor, I am assuming one of them is the intercooler pump

I tried taking pictures of the plugs but I don't think my camera is good enough to see what they look like on computer. Some of the plugs are tan colored with no flaking gray material on them, some are dark gray with really small lighter gray specs on them that I can flake off to a clean metal underneath... sorry that's the best description I can give. None of the plugs look melted at all.

When I tried to start the car last time it was cold. But I didn't want to turn it over too much... that starter sounded like it was working really hard. I will try and charge the battery just to make sure that wasn't the reason for it turning over hard

Oil looks clean, dark but clean and smells burnt

I will do a compression check if you think I can't do any more damage by turning it over.

Last edited:

aobers

Established Member
Finally got around to doing a compression test. Found most of the cylinders had 0 compression. One of the cylinders had 30psi dry and 45 psi wet. Engine still turned over HARD with the spark plugs out. Getting ready to pull the engine. I'm thinking shortblock.

I thought it was very strange that all of the compression was so low so I checked the compression tester on my Jeep and it is reading correctly.

Anything that someone could think of why the compression is this low? I am thinking head gasket. Do I take the heads off the motor while still in the car or just pull the engine?

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
No way thy had zero, you are not doing something right. Sounds to me like the alternator died, the int.cooler pump quit running because of no voltage, which overflowed the reservoir.

Put a new battery in it, put the plugs back in and watch it fire.

Monitor the voltage of the battery with a 12v dc meter and watch the voltage decrease, then you will know thw alt is bad.

Oh, and never post anything related to owning a Chrysler and a Ford in the same thread. :p

Users who are viewing this thread