Spark Plugs AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

F8L SNK

Established Member
Damnit Jim, That must be why I was only making 1250 HP. I had TR6 Plugs gapped to .032 in my Cobra. Now I need to buy the car back, and maybe I could be the fastest 4.6. Maybe 31 lbs of boost wasn't enough??? Oh well, wish John would have shared that info before, hehe!

Tim

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
J. Mihovetz said...
...When someone else on this board can make over 1550 hp with a 4.6 then there might be something to discuss, until then follow these simple guidelines and you can't go wrong.
IT22s it is! Pure gangsta. Gotta love it...

Cobra'03

Established Member
I have IT-22's to swap for IT-20's

I have a new set of IT-22's I will swap even up with anyone who has IT-20's. My car does not have the boost levels calling for IT-22 - I got some bad vendor recommendations.

PM me if interested.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Re: I have IT-22's to swap for IT-20's

Originally posted by Cobra'03
I have a new set of IT-22's I will swap even up with anyone who has IT-20's. My car does not have the boost levels calling for IT-22 - I got some bad vendor recommendations.

PM me if interested.

What boost levels are you running?

You'll be just fine with a set of IT22's, even in a stock Cobra. Don't worry with what someone mentioned above. That is not the "definitive" end all of end alls.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
Okay! You all lost me! What about the Platinum-Iridium Alloy in the AGSF12FM1's? Are these bad plugs to run in our modded cars (2.93 pulley, Basanni exhaust, etc)?

I am running 12's in my car (2.93 and no chip). They are about perfect for mine with a .038 gap. Perhaps I could gain 5 HP by switching to denso's, but honestly, I could care less. :shrug:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
It sounds like many of you guys are saying the factory plat / Iridium Motorcraft plugs are bad for our cars over stock boost. Am I hearing that correctly?

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
need we say it louder? YES! lol, j/k

Yes please? I've yet to see a post that states the Motorcraft plugs are actually bad with ANY combo. I've seen everyone say the that "Denso's gooood", "Motorcraft baaaad".

And more importantly, why? Why are they bad (if that's the case). Is it the platinum Iridium alloy? If not that, what then?

Last edited:

BOOOOST

Established Member
First, platinum is a POOR conductor of electricity, although it is a good for temperatures and longevity.

Iridium is an excellent plug for temps and longevity, and the Denso's also contain copper cores for excellent conduction. Plus, the tips are the world's smallest at just 0.4mm, which provides a more concentrated spark at the electrode, which requires less overall voltage.

The Ford plugs are designed in mass quantities, and are cheap to produce, therefore their makeup and performance is relatively poor for performance applications, especially when you start to modify these vehicles. They are not strong plugs at all and will literally disentegrate once you add too much overall boost or power to them. I've seen bad things happen in the Lightnings with the factory Motorcraft plugs, like broken valves, pistons, and damaged combustion chambers.

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by BNASPLT
First, platinum is a POOR conductor of electricity, although it is a good for temperatures and longevity.

Iridium is an excellent plug for temps and longevity, and the Denso's also contain copper cores for excellent conduction. Plus, the tips are the world's smallest at just 0.4mm, which provides a more concentrated spark at the electrode, which requires less overall voltage.

The Ford plugs are designed in mass quantities, and are cheap to produce, therefore their makeup and performance is relatively poor for performance applications, especially when you start to modify these vehicles. They are not strong plugs at all and will literally disentegrate once you add too much overall boost or power to them. I've seen bad things happen in the Lightnings with the factory Motorcraft plugs, like broken valves, pistons, and damaged combustion chambers.

Thank you! :D This is exactly the type of info I was lookin' for! :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great recent posts. Guess I should have listened to the other person who recommended I switch to IT-22s. May just have to do that now.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Im not paying 90 dollars for spark plugs im gonna change every 5000 miles.

my awsfa-12c plugs have been working just fine, so i intend to keep them.

trey193

Established Member
Actually I am thinking of swapping out my T22's for IT20's, several well known tuners have told me to run the 20's they said the 22 are to cold for my boost levels, I was even told I could use the IT18, they said the 03 head likes some heat and they have seen better track results with the hotter plugs! I know Jim DAmore uses TR5's in his cars which I beleive is equivelent to an IT16?

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
ah christ, so when I order the plugs I just say "I'dl like a set of Denso's IT 22's. Who do I call. I take it I can't get these at autozone. So I should break away from the TR-6 that I paid $13 a set for? I run a 2.80 upper and a ported eaton.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
My car came with AGSF-22's. After getting my KB I put in IT24's, car stumbled bad at low RPM(ie 2k), I personally think it was cause plugs were too cold. Went to ford and they said the current plug called out was AGSF-12's (which we all know there were 3 heat ranges, 12 the coldest) so I bout them and put em in gapped at 35 or so. Ran it for a couple thousand miles and one day at the track car was stumbling very hard at 5500rpm or so and I couldnt get it over 147mph. Pulled plugs and sure as shit 2 were fouled (one in each bank) and gaps were way off...dont ask me what happened there. I then put in AR103's which are autolites copper racing plug, one step colder than the AGSF-12's and they held spark great, but once again stumbled a bit at low RPM (i2 2K). I just pulled them(they all looked great) and being a sunday couldnt find any AGSF-12's so I opted for the AP103's which are Autolites platinum plug, one step colder than the AGSF-12's. I havent had car on the street yet(still snow here) but it purs like a kitten.....well a loin since I have a catless X and bassani exhaust. :)

robert93074

Established Member
autolite double platinum

are the auto lites a bad idea autolite double platinum app-103 : :shrug: :shrug: have ported blower 2.93 pulley ported tb and spacer bad skip at low rpms with boost any help could the plugs be the problem

Last edited:

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
I'm basically stock w/ a 10" Powerstack from SFPH, Bassani catted X, and a Steeda Catback. I want to change out my plugs. My car came w/ AGSF22FM1's but when I called the local dealer they told me they only sell the 12FM1's. Is it ok to go w/ a colder plug w/ my setup? Thanks for any advice anyone can provide. :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread