Spark Plugs AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JL1968

Established Member
Ok, so my question is do I gap them smaller than the recommended gap that the NGK's come at? Or stay with the larger gap? Guess I could test it out and play with what works best to be sure.

:)

Goldy

Established Member
My '03 is very mildly moded...just CAI and exhaust (Bassani mid-length headers, x-pipe w/ cats, and catback. I'm having the 'sputtering' problem during 'spirited' acceleration, more typically under load (lower RPMs).

After reading this thread, I ordered the Denso IT20 plug. I'm not a spark plug expert by any means, but I'd like to better understand what reducing/increasing the gap does. Denso recommends a .050 gap (per their website), and Denso does not recommend re-gapping.

Thx.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Wow... got me wondering now.

I know i have TR6's in my car... gapped to what i dont know since they were in there when i bought it. I know i have a new shortblock (.20 over with JE forged pistons (4 valve reliefs) and ported stock 04 heads with the cooling mod and new valves and everything else with just 2k miles on it. Im running the 4# lower pulley and 2.8# upper so what should i be running for plugs assuming im making around 16lbs of boost?

What gap?

Thanks to anyone who can help me!!! The car seems to run fine through all ranges and pulls like a freight train! At idle standing behind the car, I think i can hear a slight stumble in the idle every once in awhile but im not sure if its just me being paranoid or not...

Last edited:

Goldy

Established Member
Just finished replacing my plugs w/ the Denso IT20's, gapped at .040. This was pretty amazing...I've never before seen 8 brand new plugs gapped exactly the same.

Anyway, took the car out for a drive, and the 'sputtering' is 100% gone...car also feel much smoooother...power comes on quicker...and I'm sure this is in my mind, but the car feels a bit more powerful than before.

The sticker under my hood showed the gap to be between .042 and .046 (or .048...can't remember). I tend to be a bit conservative, so with others on this site saying to set the gap at .035, I stayed with the .040 gap that was pre-set on the plugs...it was kind-a in the middle. Happy w/ the Denso's...worth the money in my opinion.

However, I still don't understand the benefits of a smaller gap (.035 as opposed to .040). If someone can help me understand, I'd appreciate it.

Thx.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
I think the smaller gap is for cars pushing more boost as the air from the boost blows out the spark if its gapped too big causing a sputter.

Denso is a good plug. Ran them in my vette. Im wondering if they perform better than the NGK TR6's though...?

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
The NGK TR7IX is the best plug I've ever ran in my car, and I've tried several kinds. It's so smooth, and it's nice and cold, but not so cold that it fouls. Very snappy tip-in response and excellent idle/part throttle characteristics.

The porcelain is also stronger than the Denso Iridiums (I blew the porcelain off of 4 of those plugs a few years ago) but the NGK's have held up through several instances of severe detonation that finished off my last motor, a few pistons were burned up but the plugs were intact.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Its so confusing because there are so many different opinions... lol
NGK TR7IX gapped at .035 (what they come pre-gapped at) for ~15 PSI or .032 for ~17 PSI and you'll be set! I

I'm very picky about having a smooth running car, can't stand the driveability of copper/silver plugs.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
NGK TR7IX gapped at .035 (what they come pre-gapped at) for ~15 PSI or .032 for ~17 PSI and you'll be set! I

I'm very picky about having a smooth running car, can't stand the driveability of copper/silver plugs.

I notice my car has that odd stumble every once in awhile at idle and when also when cruising along at 40-45MPH in 5th gear holding the throttle steady at a certain speed. Im assuming its the plugs or the amount they are gapped. I plan to pull them in the next couple days to check them out. Might swap to those if they are better than the TR6's i have now...

Hmm... How much PSI should i be pushing with a 2.8# upper and 4# lower?

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
I notice my car has that odd stumble every once in awhile at idle and when also when cruising along at 40-45MPH in 5th gear holding the throttle steady at a certain speed. Im assuming its the plugs or the amount they are gapped. I plan to pull them in the next couple days to check them out. Might swap to those if they are better than the TR6's i have now...

Hmm... How much PSI should i be pushing with a 2.8# upper and 4# lower?
Yep those are the symptoms that I was so annoyed with that occured with every other plug I tried (except the Denso Iridium's and NGK iridiums). Swap to the TR7IX's and you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner, it really changes the way the car feels, they're so smooth.

I've got a 2.8/4# on my ported Eaton and I'm right around 17 PSI.

antiv6

Established Member
tr7ixs work like he described ive been running them for a while now, much better that the tr6's i had

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys! I plan to have the blower ported but at this time, ill at least change out the plugs...

SVTerror

New Guy on the Block
Established Member
Sorry to bring this back, but what are the best for stock cobras? I only have a catback, and went to a dealer to ask what they suggest for spark plugs. They told me their computer shows the AGSF12FM1, and wanted $11/ea for a spark plug. I know they used different spark plugs for different runs of the cobra 12FM1, 22FM1, 32FM1. I know there are alot of choices, but will NGK TR6s work just fine for stock applications although they are one stage warmer than the 12FM1s?

BlownSB89GT

Established Member
I run TR7IX's(iridium)...tr6s ran like crap in my car even though i was a stead fast user of them in the past on my 03..my 04 has a much more noticeable low end snap as opposed to the old tr6's. I gap mine @.036 with no problems whatsoever

Last edited:

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Sorry to bring this back, but what are the best for stock cobras? I only have a catback, and went to a dealer to ask what they suggest for spark plugs. They told me their computer shows the AGSF12FM1, and wanted $11/ea for a spark plug. I know they used different spark plugs for different runs of the cobra 12FM1, 22FM1, 32FM1. I know there are alot of choices, but will NGK TR6s work just fine for stock applications although they are one stage warmer than the 12FM1s?
NGK TR7IX's would be a great plug. They just seem to be the best plug out there, for stock, pullied, KB'd - they're cold but don't seem to have the fouling problems and sluggish responsiveness that a similar heat range copper plug would have on a stock boost Cobra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread