Spec clutch going in trash - Which one is smooth?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've had the Spec 3+ since last summer and about 3000 miles and I've had about all I can take of it. That nasty shudder while pulling into the garage or any slow movement and the vibration and making the car sound like a rattle trap has just gotten to me and it's time to toss it.

The TOB they supplied was fried and making noises before I even hit 1k miles on it. I'm pulling the tranny to replace the TOB and I'm thinking that whole dang clutch can just go too while I'm at it. I only got it because I was twisting 10 spline input shafts and had to go 26 spline.

Also the pressure plate fingers are not even in distance where they contact the TOB. It has been this way ever since I purchased the clutch and I wonder if that's part of what kills the TOB or causes it to make noises?

Anyhow what's a 26 spline clutch I can use that will drive like stock? I rebuilt my motor from a bare block last year with 19cc pistons and intend on bolting on a whipple in the future. I assume that means 580 ~ 600 rwhp on pump gas. This is not a track car, 99.9999% street fun toy. What clutch do I pick?

Thanks guys
Malcolm

army_man1014

Established Member
I have a Fidanza 4.1 and it grabs great but unfortunately i have the same chatter sound when i pull in to a garage or come in 1st. I just thought it was normal for being such an aggressive clutch for the street.

lee4him

Established Member
I'm sporting the Ram Power Grip 900 series. It's got a little whirl to it in nutral but I don't get any shutter in 1st or any gear for that matter. I like it but it does give me a leg workout, that's for sure.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
I've had the Spec 3+ since last summer and about 3000 miles and I've had about all I can take of it. That nasty shudder while pulling into the garage or any slow movement and the vibration and making the car sound like a rattle trap has just gotten to me and it's time to toss it.

The TOB they supplied was fried and making noises before I even hit 1k miles on it. I'm pulling the tranny to replace the TOB and I'm thinking that whole dang clutch can just go too while I'm at it. I only got it because I was twisting 10 spline input shafts and had to go 26 spline.

Also the pressure plate fingers are not even in distance where they contact the TOB. It has been this way ever since I purchased the clutch and I wonder if that's part of what kills the TOB or causes it to make noises?

Anyhow what's a 26 spline clutch I can use that will drive like stock? I rebuilt my motor from a bare block last year with 19cc pistons and intend on bolting on a whipple in the future. I assume that means 580 ~ 600 rwhp on pump gas. This is not a track car, 99.9999% street fun toy. What clutch do I pick?

Thanks guys
Malcolm

a very poor installation is your problem

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
i've had the spec 3+ since last summer and about 3000 miles and i've had about all i can take of it. That nasty shudder while pulling into the garage or any slow movement and the vibration and making the car sound like a rattle trap has just gotten to me and it's time to toss it.

The tob they supplied was fried and making noises before i even hit 1k miles on it. I'm pulling the tranny to replace the tob and i'm thinking that whole dang clutch can just go too while i'm at it. I only got it because i was twisting 10 spline input shafts and had to go 26 spline.

also the pressure plate fingers are not even in distance where they contact the tob. It has been this way ever since i purchased the clutch and i wonder if that's part of what kills the tob or causes it to make noises?

Anyhow what's a 26 spline clutch i can use that will drive like stock? I rebuilt my motor from a bare block last year with 19cc pistons and intend on bolting on a whipple in the future. I assume that means 580 ~ 600 rwhp on pump gas. This is not a track car, 99.9999% street fun toy. What clutch do i pick?

Thanks guys
malcolm

a very poor installation is your problem

x2

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
if you noticed the issue with the PP fingers why did you install it? Thats not normal at all and im guessing thats a major contributing factor to your problems.

I just put in a Spec stage 3+ and i absolutely love it, there is no chatter, noise, nothing at all. Maybe something got inadvertantly torqued down crooked? I made several passes tightening down the bolts on everything, especially the flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
No the pressure plate fingers where like that when I unpacked it out the box. It had nothing to do with installation. I wasn't sure if that was a big issue or not. I figured it wouldn't really matter since they would all flatten out once the TOB was applying pressure because they'd all be even long before the clutch goes to release.

It's only after all these problems did I start thinking of every detail about it I could and recalled the uneven fingers and started wondering if that has anything to do with it. That's why I mention it. It's not a huge difference but enough you can notice it right away when looking at it. Maybe 1/8" or so.

Although I wouldn't say I'm alone I see plenty of people report a small chatter with their Spec clutches that never goes away. I'd much prefer a clutch that drives like the stock one did... if such a thing exists.

I'm not trying to be funny but do you know how to work a clutch pedal? I can create the chatter on my Spec 3+ if I want to but if you know how to handle her you can avoid the chatter. At least I can. Its a great clutch.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
i agree with you there, there are some people that experience some chatter and some that do not. I was hoping that i didnt have the chatter problem when i installed mine so, like i said i payed special attention to tightening sequences. Honestly, this clutch is about as smooth as my stock clutch, but with a slight "grabiness" to it, which is expected for a single disc clutch that can handle 850ft lbs of torque. I also got mine with the Low Pedal Requirement option so the pedal effort is about half of what the stock one was. If this isnt you daily driver take it back off and send it back to Spec so they can take a look at it. If you can get this the way it should be, you're gonna love it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I'm not trying to be funny but do you know how to work a clutch pedal? I can create the chatter on my Spec 3+ if I want to but if you know how to handle her you can avoid the chatter. At least I can. Its a great clutch.

Yes I can work a clutch and I can avoid the chatter as you say but I have to bring the rpms up and sorta hot rod it a bit for lack of better explanation. Like pulling in the garage for example, I'll have to gas it like I'm getting ready to launch from a traffic light but really I'm just barely slipping the clutch to move in. Any lower on the RPMs and horrible chatter. I'm unable to creep forward say in traffic without blipping the throttle a decent amount or it chatters.

I also notice it on down shifts if I don't blip the throttle and match RPMs to wheel speed it'll chatter on down shift too.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
If this isnt you daily driver take it back off and send it back to Spec so they can take a look at it. If you can get this the way it should be, you're gonna love it.

Not a bad idea really. I'll call Spec on Monday and see if they'd be interested in looking at it or have any advice for me. I too paid special attention when installing it. In fact as I recall I put it in and out a few times. I had a lot going on, entire motor rebuild at the same time as doing the 26 spline conversion etc.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Yes I can work a clutch and I can avoid the chatter as you say but I have to bring the rpms up and sorta hot rod it a bit for lack of better explanation. Like pulling in the garage for example, I'll have to gas it like I'm getting ready to launch from a traffic light but really I'm just barely slipping the clutch to move in. Any lower on the RPMs and horrible chatter. I'm unable to creep forward say in traffic without blipping the throttle a decent amount or it chatters.

I also notice it on down shifts if I don't blip the throttle and match RPMs to wheel speed it'll chatter on down shift too.
do you have alum flywhee? or steel ? and what rear gears to you have?
i got a spec 3 plus nib not installed yet,i got 3.73 now with stock clutch and alum f/wheel , i want to go 3.27 gears now when i do the spec3 plus but i think i might need the steel flywheel so i dont have to rev it as high?
whats all your thoughts on that?

3.73s are to steep .mtr. rev up to fast ,and i dont fell the pul though the gears cause i'am shifting to fast and hiting the limter most of the time 600 pus at the wheels

monX

Established Member
I'm in the same situation and I know exactly what you're talking about, I have 26spline shaft and spec 3+ with aluminum flywheel and when I'm pulling it in the garage it will chatter and vibrate violently if you don't keep it revved. I'm trying to get over that, but I hear the twin disk mcleod clutch drives like stock and the pedal effort feels like a 4 cycl Honda, If I ever come to the point where I've had enough with this chatter, I will give the mcleod a try.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Sounds like a bad install IMO.

I love mine and know multiple others who do as well.

What flywheel did you go with? I might have missed it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
do you have alum flywhee? or steel ? and what rear gears to you have?
i got a spec 3 plus nib not installed yet,i got 3.73 now with stock clutch and alum f/wheel , i want to go 3.27 gears now when i do the spec3 plus but i think i might need the steel flywheel so i dont have to rev it as high?
whats all your thoughts on that?

I have stock 3.55 gears and stock aluminum flywheel. I did take the flywheel into a machine shop though and have it surfaced before installing the spec to make sure the surface was perfectly true. Will a steel flywheel reduce chatter? sorry I really don't know. It seems logical due to increased momentum but that's just a guess.

I'm in the same situation and I know exactly what you're talking about, I have 26spline shaft and spec 3+ with aluminum flywheel and when I'm pulling it in the garage it will chatter and vibrate violently if you don't keep it revved. I'm trying to get over that, but I hear the twin disk mcleod clutch drives like stock and the pedal effort feels like a 4 cycl Honda, If I ever come to the point where I've had enough with this chatter, I will give the mcleod a try.

Yup I feel your pain. It sucks for those of us who daily drive the cars or just street drive them etc. On the track I can see how this is a non issue.
The mcleod twin disk is $700 but if it drives smooth like stock and can handle HP it might be worth it. Where did you hear it drives like normal?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sounds like a bad install IMO.

I love mine and know multiple others who do as well.

What flywheel did you go with? I might have missed it.

Would you define "a bad install"? I've installed many clutches in my life and never had this issue. How is it that the forum is filled with people complaining about Spec clutches shuddering and chattering and not other clutches? Not to sound rude but surely everyone who installs a Spec isn't doing a bad install?

When you say you love your clutch does that mean it drives like stock? or you just love it even though it might not ride like stock at low rpm when you move around slowly? I mean this is a very common issue I see reported on the forum by many people. It's nothing special about my particular clutch.

I'm using the stock flywheel which was turned at the machine shop prior to installation of the spec clutch.

Malcolm

Ralo

Established Member
I got a twin disc that should hopefully be in before the summer is over. Hope I don't see problems with it.

turbosaleen347

Established Member
not sure if if you are supossed to surface the alm. flywheels or not.anderson Ford told me I couldn't.. I just replaced my clutch and flywheel with one of there set ups and the car drives great with the afms clutch and flywheel..
I had a spec 3 for about 5k miles and hated it.. only downside to the anderson high rev clutch that I have seen so far is.. if you slip it .. It smells like burn't ass brakes.. and you don't have to slip it much at all..I can get an oder from mine just by putting it in the garage...BUT the thing grabs great.. and has a very easy pedal:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread