SPEC Stage 2 Clutch kit installed, have problem, need advice from tranny experts.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Well, I didn't post yesterday because I had some issues with the install that I wanted to clear up first. When I got the car after the clutch install, I noticed that it had the same high pitched rhythmic squeeling as it has had in the past (that I thought was the TOB). Knowing that the TOB had just been replaced and couldn't POSSIBLY be bad so soon, I decided to drive it home, readjust the clutch with the FW adjuster (they had it set too low for my liking), and see if it was still there. Got home, readjusted, still there. To give you an idea of what it sounds like, if you've ever had an idler pulley go bad, it makes almost the exact same sound. Not extremely loud, but loud enough to be annoying. The only reason I know it's not an idler pulley is because it goes away when I depress the clutch pedal (disengage the clutch).

Anyhow, so I go back in this morning to have him look at it. He hears it and immmediatly said "That's the tranny". Now at first, I am suspicious, as I had always though it was the TOB, and I'm thinking he's just trying to get out of doing more work. Now, honestly, I don't know a ton about trannies, but either this guy is a world class bullshitter, or he gave me an honest answer, because I felt very comfortable about it not being the TOB after our conversation. In any event, what he said was that it was caused by one of four bearings in the tranny, and the reason he knew this is because it goes away when the clutch is engaged. He said that the TOB normally makes noise when the clutch is depressed, not the other way around, and that it's REALLY LOUD. Which rings true, as the noise he described (a really loud squeel) is exactly the noise I got at 5+K RPM while in boost this last time, and I had 4 techs tell me that was the TOB. Anyway, he said it's stopping when the clutch is depressed because the synchros are stopping the shafts then. He said it was one of four possible bearings in the tranny: The pocket bearing, the big bearing up front (called it the clutch shaft bearing, I think), or two bearings connected to some internal shaft (sorry, can't remember which one). He said that the noise actually wasn't unnusual, that a lot of tremec trannies make this noise and work just fine. He said he wouldn't worry about it for now, but if it gets worse or starts to have a rhythmic "thud" in it (kind of a "wabba-wabba-wabba" sound), take it in for work.

I'm just curious guys, do you think he's right, or feeding me a line? Thanks.

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

Did they use the TOB that came with the clutch? What shop did you take it to?

I bought a Spec II and never installed it and I sold it to Racerat on this board. Maybe they can help.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
Did they use the TOB that came with the clutch? What shop did you take it to?

I bought a Spec II and never installed it and I sold it to Racerat on this board. Maybe they can help.

Nope, they used the spiffy composite TOB provided by spec. They said my old clutch looked fine (except for it being a Ford remanufactured clutch :rolleyes: Gotta love that warranty), but the old TOB was shot. The shop I took it to was Dave Brown motorsports in Charlotte (they do mostly race cars).

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
I have never had an issue with the SPEC setup on my cars. It sounds like they did not align the pilot bearing (edit, still asleep) properly. SPEC ships a tool with the kit to install it properly. Have them redo the TOB installation or prove there is a problem with the internals.

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I had a whole page written out in response, but I have to ask one question first. The thing that must be verified is that the TOB is completely off of the pressure plate fingers when the pedal is all the way at the top and there is ample freeplay. No contact at all.
Did you attempt to determine if there is sufficient freeplay?
Also, an improperly adjusted clutch can cause a bad TOB to make noise in any position.

BTW, The syncro's only come into play when the shift lever is moved towards a gear. Simply put, they cause the gear to match the shaft speed. No other time do they do anything except when you shift. You can actually run without syncro’s.

Ask him to see the old TOB.
Dana

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
I had a whole page written out in response, but I have to ask one question first. The thing that must be verified is that the TOB is completely off of the pressure plate fingers when the pedal is all the way at the top and there is ample freeplay. No contact at all.
Did you attempt to determine if there is sufficient freeplay?
Also, an improperly adjusted clutch can cause a bad TOB to make noise in any position.

BTW, The syncro's only come into play when the shift lever is moved towards a gear. Simply put, they cause the gear to match the shaft speed. No other time do they do anything except when you shift. You can actually run without syncro’s.

Ask him to see the old TOB.
Dana

Dana,

There is plenty of free play. The way they had it adjusted originally, there was about 4 inches of free play. Now, I have it adjusted with about an inch of free play. Based on what happend with this last TOB, my guess is that if I adjust it to where it has zero freeplay, it will not make the noise.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
That's what I thought as well, but I asked about that and he siad thet two of them looked at it and it looked fine.
They should have replaced that when they did your clutch. SOP.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the dude is wrong. a tob will squeel when u take your foot off the clutch. I should know, mine is grinding like a sumbitch right now. once u push the pedal in the noise goes away.

if it was a bearing, shouldn't it make a relatively smooth whining sound?

Venomous1

Established Member
Originally posted by quadcammer
the dude is wrong. a tob will squeel when u take your foot off the clutch. I should know, mine is grinding like a sumbitch right now. once u push the pedal in the noise goes away.

if it was a bearing, shouldn't it make a relatively smooth whining sound?

Agreed...my TOB was bad as well, it squeeled a lot when the clutch was out and went away as soon as it was depressed. I got a Spec III put in with new TOB and its gone now. Not being a tranny expert, I don't know about the rest, but the TOB will definitely squeel when the clutch is out FWIW.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Well, that's what I thought, but he told me otherwise, so I didn't know what to think. Sigh. Not sure what in the hell I'm gonna do now. Guess I'll just pack it up and drive down to Florida to let my brother look at it. At least I know he won't F it up.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Based on all the convos I've had with people on boards, as well as my Bro (ASE certified Tech), it's the stupid TOB again. God this makes me mad. I gave him the clutch kit, all he had to do was install it correctly, and evidently, he couldn't even do that. Now he's feeding me a line of BS, and won't take the tranny back out to see if it is the TOB. So now, I have to drive to Florida and get my bro to take it out and fix it. I swear, lawsuits are going to be in the works if I find out this a$$ took my new TOB and pocketed it and put the old one back in. I am going to run a simple "ghetto" test of this theory tonight by getting into boost and winding it out. If I hear a squeel, not sure what I'm gonna do, but stopping payment on the check will be one of the first things.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You can take the dust cover off your tranny, then you should be able to see the TOB. Just two screws hold that cover, can't hurt to look.

BLK_03

Established Member
Here's my story:

I developed a squeak pertaining to the clutch (4,500 miles). So I played with it to see WHEN it squeaked. I would SLOWLY push the clutch in and at about 1/2 way to the floor a slight squeak would begin, once the pedal was all the way to the floor, it was noticeably louder. Let off the pedal and it would stop.

I took the service guy for a ride and explained the symptoms as described above. He said TOB. TOB was replaced yesterday. Picked the car up today and no more squeaky :p

I'm not sure exactly how TOB's work (if they squeak with pedal in or out or both once they go bad), but I no longer have a squeak.

BLK_03

Established Member
Sorry didn't know that smiley was sticking his tongue out. Didn't mean to look like a jerk.

Rookie mistake:rollseyes

Best of luck to you...

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Mine is starting to Make noise while in sometimes, and today I think I heard it squeek as I let it out also, so now I'm confused :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread