SPEC Stage 2 Clutch kit installed, have problem, need advice from tranny experts.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
OK guys, well, I've had a ton of people tell me what I thought was correct in the beginning, that the TOB is bad if the clutch is disengaged and it's squeeling in rhythm with the revs, but goes away at the slightest hint of pressure. Mine does that. So I ran a test. Before the "new clutch install", if I got on it at about 5K RPMs in any gear, it would squeel like a stuck pig (loud enough to drown out radio, S/C whine, exhaust, everything, it's that loud). Tried it again tonight, and guess what? Same thing happened. Blood curdling squeel. Something is fishy. No way two different TOBs are going to develop the same damn problem, with the second one (the BETTER one) developing it in less than 2 miles (it had it when I left the shop). I am begining to think I've been had, boys and girls. So, tomorrow morning, I am calling in all my favors to find a lift I can use to pull the dust cover and look at the TOB. If it's not a spec composite, in other words, if it's a POS metal Ford piece, me and good old Dave are going to have words. I see fraud, petty theft, and negligence charges in his future.

BTW, the clutch feels pretty darn similar to the old one. Does the spec II unit have a different "feel" to it?

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
That's what I thought as well, but I asked about that and he siad thet two of them looked at it and it looked fine.

The SPEC kits come with new pilot bearings. If your pilot bearing is slightly cocked, you will have squeal. When I did my SPEC install, I bought a slide hammer and pilot bearing adapter from AutoZone in order to do it right. The tools cost about $45 together, a worthwhile investment.

My money is on your pilot bearing being screwed up from the factory.

I did the SPEC stage3XL and after 2000 miles it almost feels like stock from a driveability perspective. You can however feel that there is little to no slip when you get on it.

MJ

Last edited:

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
It's seems most of the problems with Mustangs is that damn TOB. Had my replaced right before my warranty expired. No squeal now, just sounds like a diesel when the clutch is out. Thanks Ford. Still love my car.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Does the spec II unit have a different "feel" to it?

The 03 Cobra with Spec 2 clutch i drove(JOE@Mustang Magic's) felt good..actually the only difference i noticed was it had softer then stock pedal pressure..

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
By the way I checked out the Spec Web Site and was wondering, the spec 2 is good for 530 lbs of tq, but I plan on getting a KB so could I get the Spec 3 instead, good for up to 600+ lbs of tq, Im asking because my clutch is going out and I figure I might as well get the after market clutch.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
ADR, some folks are running a Spec III. There's a little more chatter initially from what I hear, but almost no slip. I opted for more slip with a Spec II because a clutch is cheaper to replace than the input shaft. I also drive in a lot of traffic and didn't want an "on or off" type of clutch.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
It only had 4K miles on it (at the most).
That's OK. If I'm in there anyway I would always do it. Not worth it to have to take the tranny back out again for a low buck part.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
That's OK. If I'm in there anyway I would always do it. Not worth it to have to take the tranny back out again for a low buck part.

You are absolutely right 03. Especially since the frigging pilot bearing is included in the clutch kit!!

Guys, I just got the car on the lift, looked under it, and took pictures. The pressure plate is definitely the SPEC unit (all blue powdercoated), but I can't tell about the TOB. It looks kind of like the SPEC unit (metal edges with what looks like a black composite center), but I don't know what the old stock Ford unit looks like, so it's hard to tell.

Looks like I'll take it down to my bro's this week and have him pull the tranny again and put in a new TOB and pilot bearing. I don't trust the shop well enough any more to even fix the problem :cuss:

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
I just got back form driving my car and noticed the clutch felt better, and then I remembered I did the self adjusting thing when I parked it last nite, have to wait and see if it still squeals because it only does it sometimes.

stang99

I ordered a Spec stage 2 and it is going in the car next Friday. Your problem is definitely the same as mine and I think mine is the TOB. Any pressure and the noise goes away. By all accounts the stage 2 is not much harder to push in than the stock unit but it bites well and is Kelvar. I will report on the ckutch after it is installed.

Users who are viewing this thread