Specialty Engine predictions

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
The company I work for received an RFQ for a component for a 5.2 engine with code name voodoo. 8000RPM capability was part of the requirements. This was in collaboration with roush and discussions were several months ago..

Unfortunately, our parent company chose not to pursue due to the low production volumes. My guess is this i the next GT500 engine...
It's the GT350 engine. But that pretty much confirms that we will see a 5.2 stroker.

This is awesome.

jes_csx

Established Member
It's the GT350 engine. But that pretty much confirms that we will see a 5.2 stroker.

This is awesome.

Exactly. There is no need to develop internals to handle that sort of rpm for a forced induction engine. I highly doubt there will be a forced induction version of "voodoo". 95% of what was said in the CD article was BS and the 3d model is less accurate then the Chazcron model.

Yes, awesome!

specizripn

Established Member
Well if it's truly a flat plane crank then it won't necessarily be "stroked" the shortblock will be designed for the displacement from the start. If they use a modified coyote block, they will probably bore it out, because if they are revving it higher, a shorter stroke will be preferable.

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Well if it's truly a flat plane crank then it won't necessarily be "stroked" the shortblock will be designed for the displacement from the start. If they use a modified coyote block, they will probably bore it out, because if they are revving it higher, a shorter stroke will be preferable.

Probably no liners and cylinder bore coating like the current gt500, so agree larger bore, maybe even shorter stroke

RTD

Established Member
I think it's far more likely that we see the application of existing tech from other Ford projects than an all new motor with something exotic like a flat plane crank.

Start with the Boss motor at 444hp.

Add the Cobra Jet intake manifold and larger throttle body. Add the Cobra Jet intake cams (which were originally developed for the Boss but later dropped for cost savings). They probably won't use the CJ exhaust cams since those were designed for open headers. Add the CJ MAF. Put in an open element CAI and revised tune (Ford has done this before, most recently with the 2010 GT500).

At this point you're probably at 505-510 hp.

If you want to go higher, add DI and bump the compression ratio by the half point or so that DI allows. All Coyote heads already have the DI boss cast into it, and with GM using DI in the C7 it's just a matter of time before Ford does it.

Now you're probably at 520-525 hp.

With the CJ ignition trigger wheel, the engine is good to 8400 RPM.

If you want to go even higher, bore it to 5.1 like the CJ. The displacement bump itself is only worth 5-6 hp, but it also unshrouds the valves at high RPM for another 5-10 hp. The CJ is sleeved by a third party which I don't see happening for a production motor, but maybe they could pull it off using the PTAW process from the GT500 to spray in the liners.

Bottom line is Ford can probably get 525 hp from a factory 5.0 and close to 540 hp from a 5.1 without switching to a new block or going with a flat plane crank. Couple this with a car that weighs 150-200 lbs less than a current Boss (I don't believe the 400 lb weight savings rumors) and you have a screamer that will make the Z28 look silly.

specizripn

Established Member
I think it's far more likely that we see the application of existing tech from other Ford projects than an all new motor with something exotic like a flat plane crank.

Start with the Boss motor at 444hp.

Add the Cobra Jet intake manifold and larger throttle body. Add the Cobra Jet intake cams (which were originally developed for the Boss but later dropped for cost savings). They probably won't use the CJ exhaust cams since those were designed for open headers. Add the CJ MAF. Put in an open element CAI and revised tune (Ford has done this before, most recently with the 2010 GT500).

At this point you're probably at 505-510 hp.

If you want to go higher, add DI and bump the compression ratio by the half point or so that DI allows. All Coyote heads already have the DI boss cast into it, and with GM using DI in the C7 it's just a matter of time before Ford does it.

Now you're probably at 520-525 hp.

With the CJ ignition trigger wheel, the engine is good to 8400 RPM.

If you want to go even higher, bore it to 5.1 like the CJ. The displacement bump itself is only worth 5-6 hp, but it also unshrouds the valves at high RPM for another 5-10 hp. The CJ is sleeved by a third party which I don't see happening for a production motor, but maybe they could pull it off using the PTAW process from the GT500 to spray in the liners.

Bottom line is Ford can probably get 525 hp from a factory 5.0 and close to 540 hp from a 5.1 without switching to a new block or going with a flat plane crank. Couple this with a car that weighs 150-200 lbs less than a current Boss (I don't believe the 400 lb weight savings rumors) and you have a screamer that will make the Z28 look silly.

I don't believe the cobra jet cams will be emissions worthy. Also, with all these mods they will be pushing the motor pretty hard: they would have to get some good internals, and still would have a hard time issuing a warranty. And they would need to develop a new ecu, the current one cant handle more than 8200rpms(maybe 8100 I dont remember but you can look it up).

RTD

Established Member
I don't believe the cobra jet cams will be emissions worthy. Also, with all these mods they will be pushing the motor pretty hard: they would have to get some good internals, and still would have a hard time issuing a warranty. And they would need to develop a new ecu, the current one cant handle more than 8200rpms(maybe 8100 I dont remember but you can look it up).

The Cobra Jet intake cams absolutely will pass emissions, they were designed for the Boss and dropped at the last minute for cost reasons. Like I said, they won't use the exhaust cams because they really are made for open headers.

The Cobra Jet motor actually passed Ford's 150k mile torture test. The Boss motor is overbuilt and can take the additional horsepower no problem.

The Copperhead ECU is good to 8400 RPM, this won't be an issue. You just need the ignition trigger wheel for > 8000 RPM.

byrne_331

If we could get all the current technology and cylinder head flow but ditch the 4.6 bore spacing and give us a 4.00" bore to start off with and enough spacing for future increase in bore diameter even if it required sleeves to do so would be great! Imagine what a 5.8-6.2L with the coyote architecture could do. The bowtie boys couldn't come up with enough excuses after that. It truly would be an LSWHAT situation.

MagpoweredSC

Established Member
Where did the talk come from for naming this the "GT-350." Shelby owns the term GT-350 as they do GT-500. Ford owns the cobra name and logo. I thought ford was severing all ties with Shelby after the 2014 model year? In my crystal ball I believe it will be the reintroduction of the "SVT Cobra."

Just for fun do you know how Carroll Shelby came up with the names GT-350 and GT-500?

jes_csx

Established Member
CS signed GT350 back over to Ford before he died. Shelby will not have any GT350 models moving forward for the foreseeable future.

When they were looking to name the 65 GT350 they were short on ideas, so it was asked "how far to that building" while pointing out the window.
"About 350ft".

americansteel

Banned
Oh and to the mods, I didn't intend to get out of line. But I've been watching this clown troll this forum for awhile. He's wrong left and right, and his attitude is crap.
My apologies...

lets be clear, he just claimed the 6.9 v10 is as great as the 460 was....
I think that explains enough...

hey nimrod I never compared nor wrote that the 6.8l V10 was as good as the 460! this is what I wrote --- "however the 5.0 or 5.8 wont replace the 6.2l anytime soon especially when ford phases out the 6.9 V10. < period, new sentence as I was referring to the 6.2l "that motor is has got to be about the best engine ford has ever manufactured since the 460 big block. it is perfect for the applications it is used in. and ford isn't going to put a 4 valve headed engine in the super duty!" or are you just too stupid and can not comprehend very well??? you call me a troll? you are the one following me into this post and another posting. :bored: IDIOT

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Dear lord, in light of the Christmas holiday season, send this to SD so we may all share in the joy that reading experience will give us.

MagpoweredSC

Established Member
CS signed GT350 back over to Ford before he died. Shelby will not have any GT350 models moving forward for the foreseeable future.

When they were looking to name the 65 GT350 they were short on ideas, so it was asked "how far to that building" while pointing out the window.
"About 350ft".

Ok I didn't hear about Shelby selling ford the GT350 name badge. And you got the bonus question. I just figured a lot of people didn't know how he came up with the name.

jes_csx

Established Member
I work on original shelby mustangs and cobra's daily and I am also very involved in the Shelby American Collection in Boulder, CO. I probably should have let someone else guess ;)

blackvette101

Established Member
If we could get all the current technology and cylinder head flow but ditch the 4.6 bore spacing and give us a 4.00" bore to start off with and enough spacing for future increase in bore diameter even if it required sleeves to do so would be great! Imagine what a 5.8-6.2L with the coyote architecture could do. The bowtie boys couldn't come up with enough excuses after that. It truly would be an LSWHAT situation.

Do you know how hard it would be to fit a DOHC 4'' bore engine into a mustang that they are trying to make smaller. The current engine is the size of an old big block I wouldn't even know what a car with that much bore would look like.

Users who are viewing this thread