Specialty Engine predictions

paynecasey

Established Member
I don't think Ford wants to throw away the 5.8 liter GT500 engine entirely. Even though I keep hearing that the supercharger sits to high to meet hood clearance.

I'm betting they will put all the functionality of the new 5.0 V8 (what ever it is) and place that tech in the 5.8 naturally aspirated. IF the GT is sporting 450 ish hp. I'd bank on 500 to 550 NA motor.

Is anyone tired of car companies rehashing the same names? Boss, Mach, Cobra? How about they create a new one? Mustang was named after the Mustang P-51 WW2 plane. How about name a specialty Mustang after another military named truck, jet etc.

They obviously do it with the trucks. Lighting, Raptor and the new Titan. Both military airplane names.
List of military aircraft of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Shelby is building a new, bigger, facility in Vegas, and plans to move everything from their current location near the race track.

This has led some to speculate that Shelby, not Ford, will build the 2015 Shelby GT500. That same rumor has Ford building a GT and a Cobra Mustang.

Guess we will need to wait and see what pops.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I thought Cobra Jet was going twin turbo..... or was that just for SEMA 2012 show.
Ford had aspirations to make the Turbo SCJ, but it ended up not being homologated by the NHRA for Super Stock, therefore there was no reason to build it that way. I wouldn't put it past Ford Racing to keep trying for future years, however.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I really dont see any reason why they will keep the 5.8

Me neither. Old platform

Why not just a 5.0 with a FRPP blower? Or ecoboost. Ecoboost has become the standard at Ford. I deff see something happening with that

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
A stroker 327 I can see coming around. Would be sweet to have that featured in the future SVT car, hopefully a Mach 1. But even better would be a true 331 N/A motor based off the Coyote sporting a healthy 550+ hp. I'd call it the Wolf platform, hence bigger Coyote motor, more potent. :)

BLK2012GT

Established Member
A stroker 327 I can see coming around. Would be sweet to have that featured in the future SVT car, hopefully a Mach 1. But even better would be a true 331 N/A motor based off the Coyote sporting a healthy 550+ hp. I'd call it the Wolf platform, hence bigger Coyote motor, more potent. :)

You're such a dork Derek coming up with names. lol But that would be badass if a 331 comes out.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I am betting the new top model will be a supercharged 5.0. I would like to see a 3.5 ecoboost as well. A 5.0 in a gt500 and a 3.5 in a gt350 woupd be cool. I love turbo cars and you can make enough more than enough power on pump gas with a turbo 3.5l motor.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You're such a dork Derek coming up with names. lol But that would be badass if a 331 comes out.
Got to have fun with it somehow. Haha

I am betting the new top model will be a supercharged 5.0. I would like to see a 3.5 ecoboost as well. A 5.0 in a gt500 and a 3.5 in a gt350 woupd be cool. I love turbo cars and you can make enough more than enough power on pump gas with a turbo 3.5l motor.
Since they are already doing a 2.3L EB as an option, I don't foresee the 3.5L EB as an additional option, even through Shelby. I think the GT350 will probably end up being sort of like a Boss, but a boosted 5.0 could be cool for the SVT variant.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The NA 5.2 makes some sense because the NA Cobra Jets are actually running more than 5.0L (5.15L) due to an oversized 94mm bore.

The GT350 with a 3.5 EB makes a lot of sense because the V6 is the new "small block", the 3.5~350 play on numbers, and it keeps the Shelby models the forced induction units. It brings together Carroll's hybrid pocket rocket/musclecar past. Not to mention the lightweight sixxer would be cool back on the road course where the original GT350 cut its teeth.

Last edited:

paynecasey

Established Member
LINK

Why not drop Ford's 500 hp 5.0 in the GT? Or at least a specialty version.
M-6007-A50XS.jpg

paynecasey

Established Member
Because that wouldn't make the CJ special anymore.

But that's what happens with every new generation. The previous isn't so alluring and sought after anymore.

Once the Corvette C7 LT1 comes out the LS7 7.0 won't be AS appealing because the LT1 has the same or more torq all the way up to 5,000 or so RPM's.

It just happens. Even the mightly 04 Cobra engine is nothing compared to the current 5.0. The SVT 5.4 liter in the 2000 Cobra R? Joke. 2005 Ford GT 5.4 liter 550 hp? Joke.

When I say joke I mean nothing compared to the current production engine standards. In 20 years we might have a 5.0 with 700 hp or if the gov steps in then with 300 hp and its 1975 all over again.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
What I meant was you would then have a car with the same motor as the CJ, so what makes the CJ any more special than a GT?

redline

Established Member
lets see. 450 hp gt. so the Shelby gt350 will be derived from the coyote 5.0 but bigger cubic inches.question is will it be 330 cubic inch or go to 351 .basicallyboss motor but bigger.the car will have a lot of carbon fiber on it too.

Users who are viewing this thread