SpeedMaster headers just came in

jn2

Established Member
So I ordered these from "ATIRacingWorld USA"since they had them on sale for $220 shipped and got to say they look pretty good. I havent had the chance to completely unbox them and check them out top to bottom but from what I saw while taking the pics the welds look pretty good. Will post more pics when I get home and unwrap them

IMG_7429_zpsqib2hx7v.jpg

IMG_7432_zpsh1r0t83z.jpg

I bought these socket flanges separately to replace the catted section of my magna flow X pipe. This should allow the X pipe to mate to the ball side of the Speedmasters. Worst case I may need to trim the pipe short with a saws all if the exhaust tips end up sticking out too much.

IMG_7430_zpsr1fuzb24.jpg

Last edited:

jn2

Established Member
Installing headers on a Coyote has got to be the single hardest install I have done of any part on any car in the last 10 years of modding various different cars. I've done turbo kits easier than this.

We tried knocking it out kn jack stands and gave up. I am taking it to a shop in the next few days to get the job finished. We got the driver side header install and bolted done, but we could not reach the nuts on the top pf #8 and #1 to save our lives. The AC lines and some which wiring harnesses where in the way. Ended up putting that side's mid pipe back on and drove it home open Header/Midpipe.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
Installing headers on a Coyote has got to be the single hardest install I have done of any part on any car in the last 10 years of modding various different cars. I've done turbo kits easier than this.

We tried knocking it out kn jack stands and gave up. I am taking it to a shop in the next few days to get the job finished. We got the driver side header install and bolted done, but we could not reach the nuts on the top pf #8 and #1 to save our lives. The AC lines and some which wiring harnesses where in the way. Ended up putting that side's mid pipe back on and drove it home open Header/Midpipe.
drop the k member and racheting wrenches is a must.still took bout 8 hrs. with 2 skilled working.

jn2

Established Member
drop the k member and racheting wrenches is a must.still took bout 8 hrs. with 2 skilled working.

Yeah we didn't drop the the K frame and ended up giving up on the passenger side. By then we had zero stamina to continue. Going to let shop do the other side and cut and weld my x pipe.

IMG_7480_zpsl7gghx48.jpg

I did end up taking a Brass hammer to the #2 primary. Didn't take must to give it enough clearance. I could slide a piece of paper between them with out the smacks, now there is more room.

IMG_7479_zpsfcq9ghmq.jpg

IMG_7489_zpsihcwpdll.jpg

02 Bung is not at an ideal angle for ethanol.
IMG_7482_zpsdvm4evfk.jpg

Last edited:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
What an ass kicking. I'm really trying to decide if 1 hp per hour install is even worth it? 8-10 average install time whatever... Damn. Not that motivated. lol.

Last edited:

jn2

Established Member
What an ass kicking. I'm really trying to decide if 1 hp per hour install is even worth it? 8-10 average install time whatever... Damn. Not that motivated. lol.

Pay a shop to do it if you decide to do long tube. I have a lot, and i mean a lot of garage time logged and still still kicked my ass. Maybe it was because I didn't drop the K member, or maybe it was because I'm getting old. But not only am I now having to spend cash to have shop do it, but I wasted a whole day, got tons of cuts and bruises and have a car running open headers until the shop can squeeze me in.

GrabUblue

Established Member
It's definitely time consuming with the k member on. I did mine a few hrs at a time after work. I can see how knocking it out in one day would be discouraging.

jn2

Established Member
It's definitely time consuming with the k member on. I did mine a few hrs at a time after work. I can see how knocking it out in one day would be discouraging.

Yeah, once we determined K member had to come down for us to make it all easier we were practically done with the car, not actually done, more a long the lines of "I am tired of this view" done. We spend most of the day on our backs staring up in the bay...

clc44

Established Member
My buddy that works at Ford installed at his shop on the weekend. He did it in about 4-5 hours. When are you getting the other installed? What axle back will you be running?

jn2

Established Member
My buddy that works at Ford installed at his shop on the weekend. He did it in about 4-5 hours. When are you getting the other installed? What axle back will you be running?

I have stock Over axle with Bassani race axle back. My mid pipe was a catted magna flow X pipe, which I'm just going to have the shop cut and weld as needed to get it to mate to new headers. I was they can get me in Monday, MAYBE Sunday, major maybe. But I'd say Monday is the best bet.

Last edited:

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Very time consuming and took a lot of patience, which we sort of lack lol, but we did it. To me the speedmasters seemed closer to the steering shaft than our pypes. Maybe just the angle of the picture. Like said above ratcheting wrenches are your best friend during the install. We didn't take the k member down either.

vortecd

Established Member

Not sure what people are doing wrong to take 8-10 hours. I have done it 3 times and found dropping the k-member is faster for us. 4-6 with jack stands is normal. I know we can do it under 4 hours with everything going smoothly

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I've had my long tubes sitting in my garage for 4/5 months now. I'll drop the k member but I might just swap with a BMR k member at the same time. Though I still need to find time to do it.

1slo5oh

Established Member
I have done long tubes on most of the vehicles I have owned over the years unless I lucked out and it already had them when I bought it... but... after opening the box and taking a peak under the hood I decided to let a shop tackle it... Was told it took them 7 hours with a few breaks because its Africa hot down here in Houston right now... yep... best money I have ever spent...lol

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I did my long tubes with K member in, was an 8 hr job for me and a friend. An hour and a half of that was lunch and then going to the auto parts store looking for a swivel socket or ratcheting wrench, which the two stores we went to didn't have either. You are correct that the top nut on the #1 primary is a bitch with the AC in the way, that one took us the longest only because we didn't have the swivel socket or ratcheting wrench.

Other than that, my long tubes were easier to get in than it was to get the stock manifolds out. I would do it again in a heart beat BUT I would drop the K member for sure.

jn2

Established Member
Went by R&S Performance to get the passenger header installed...

IMG_7533_zps1x3fiwwm.jpg

IMG_7534_zpsgq4vmeqv.jpg

IMG_7535_zps4pfa6ph6.jpg

This was the Tru-X pipe that came with my maganaflow catted mid pipe, they went ahead and cut to the right size and welded on he socket flanges I had ordered.

IMG_7537_zpsqbx49j9e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread