SpeedMaster headers just came in

clc44

Established Member
Who knows what I'll do. So want to boost it! Just have a hard time dropping that kind of money on a hobby and a dd.

jn2

Established Member
So I ended up having to go under the car and rotate the flange on the driver side so that the inner bolt is aiming down at a 4 o clock angle. The outter part of the flange was tapping on the chassis as you can see in pic.

Sadly this sacrificed ground clearance making the flange the lowest point on the car. The parking lot at work at work has a steep entrance to the parking garage, its a 45* going up, and then 45* when it levels out, so this made the exhaust rub, as seen on the bottom of the flange on pic.

Bottom of the flange looks like it's scraped pretty good.
IMG_7554_zpsxikd6cvw.jpg

This one was tapping up on chassis, you can see where it started to wear into it.
FullSizeRender_zps1h6rzhil.jpg

kdaly

Established Member
Mine cost 600 with k member install. And I had to get in a full blown argument to get that price after they asked for 1400 for it after the install was already complete.

clc44

Established Member
So I ended up having to go under the car and rotate the flange on the driver side so that the inner bolt is aiming down at a 4 o clock angle. The outter part of the flange was tapping on the chassis as you can see in pic.

Sadly this sacrificed ground clearance making the flange the lowest point on the car. The parking lot at work at work has a steep entrance to the parking garage, its a 45* going up, and then 45* when it levels out, so this made the exhaust rub, as seen on the bottom of the flange on pic.

Bottom of the flange looks like it's scraped pretty good.
IMG_7554_zpsxikd6cvw.jpg

This one was tapping up on chassis, you can see where it started to wear into it.
FullSizeRender_zps1h6rzhil.jpg

So, what are your thoughts on the headers? I like mine after getting everything sorted. Still a lot cheaper!

jn2

Established Member
So, what are your thoughts on the headers? I like mine after getting everything sorted. Still a lot cheaper!

Yeah I'm happy with the purchase. The install was a pain, but now that everything is mostly settled I'm glad I got them. Totally saved a ton of money, even if the install cost more than the headers, over all saved quite a bit.

I do need to go and add a few washers on the mounts though, while I have enough clearance during normal driving, under heavy loads it will clunk against the shaft, even when accelerating or decelerating. Nothing some washer won't fix, or ideally, if I can squeeze the hammer down there i'll smack the primary a bit more.

If anyone else get these, toss those washers on as you put it together and you won't have to worry about shaft clearance. 2-3 washers should do the job just fine, just make sure they are steel washers and not copper or some other crush washer type.

jn2

Established Member
Just reviewed some datalogs from before and after headers that I did on the same mexican road with the same weather conditions.

Stock Headers w/hi flow catted magnaflow 3" X pipe(e30 mix)

4th gear WOT pull: 61mph-121mph(3,800-7,500rpm) = 10.65 seconds

Speedmaster headers w/catless magnaflow 3" X pipe(e18mix)

4th gear WOT pull: 61mph-121mph(3,800-7,500rpm) = 9.72 seconds

Last edited:

meld

Established Member
Would you happen to have the link for the ball/socket exhaust bits that you bought?

jn2

Established Member

meld

Established Member
Awesome, thanks. I was going to go the same route. Also, hello from a fellow Austinite!

Users who are viewing this thread