SpeedMaster headers just came in

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Went by R&S Performance to get the passenger header installed...

IMG_7533_zps1x3fiwwm.jpg

I spy a Lethal shirt :rockon:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Is it me or does it look like that passenger header hangs down quite a bit lower than driver. Hope that was not bolted up yet?

jn2

Established Member
Is it me or does it look like that passenger header hangs down quite a bit lower than driver. Hope that was not bolted up yet?

I believe the engine was lowered a bit in that pic to access the nuts on header so it prob is sitting lower in the pic, but once the mounts were back on they are leveled.

jn2

Established Member
Cold start video. It's after a fresh tune update. Turned off rear 02's and updated the transient delay for the front 02's. Car's start up idle was around 1,200rpm, came down to about 1,00 when I rev'd it, ended around 850, which is what I have my idle set too.

[video=youtube;tg2j9SEQm0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg2j9SEQm0s[/video]

jn2

Established Member
Install ran me an extra $300 not bad considering the time spent on the install. I am going to be adding some dynomax bullet's in the stock resonator location thought, prob go with the longest model that fits.

clc44

Established Member
Install ran me an extra $300 not bad considering the time spent on the install. I am going to be adding some dynomax bullet's in the stock resonator location thought, prob go with the longest model that fits.

Sounds good!! I got the Magmaflow resonators. They have he most packing inside of them. Mine have a 20" body I believe an are 4" around so it doesn't effect the ground clearance much! It toned it down at cold start and part throttle. It still screams at wot.

Are you going to get numbers? What's your entire mod list?

jn2

Established Member
Sounds good!! I got the Magmaflow resonators. They have he most packing inside of them. Mine have a 20" body I believe an are 4" around so it doesn't effect the ground clearance much! It toned it down at cold start and part throttle. It still screams at wot.

Are you going to get numbers? What's your entire mod list?

Mods:
CJ manifold(unported)
twin 60mm TB
FRPP intake
Speedmaster headers
magnaflow 3" X pipe
stock over axle
bassani street/race axle back
flex fuel logic enabled with a 4.5* max advance on e85.(currently only running it up to e40)

I was going to look for a place to do dyno's locally but seems the prices all rocketed in the last few years, most placed was $150+ for a few pulls. There is a Mustang meet coming up on August 6th where they will have a mobile dyno so I may have it dyno'd there.

I haven't done any full WOT pulls since the headers went in. Wanted to get a few heat cycles on them. I'l be logging tonight to see how things go. Before headers I was running 28* of spark advance so Ima play with it some in the next few days and see what happens.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Good info. Why twin 60mm tb? Thought most were twin 65/67 or the mono?

Do you regret going the CJ route? Or are you content? I keep trying to decide on boost or bolt ons. I don't drive it hard. Just some spirited driving.

jn2

Established Member
Good info. Why twin 60mm tb? Thought most were twin 65/67 or the mono?

Do you regret going the CJ route? Or are you content? I keep trying to decide on boost or bolt ons. I don't drive it hard. Just some spirited driving.

Twin 60mm is cheaper($130 shipped from CJPP) than Ford twin 65, and the mono blade is so hit or miss on whether you get a good one it's not worth the $600 risk. Also, I can upgrade to the BBK twin 65mm for $350 should I want something larger for less than what it would of cost to buy the Ford twin 65mm. So I have an upgrade path should I need it.

KushBandit

Established Member
Don't even get a CJ manifold if you're putting a stock GT500 throttle body on it. Completely negates the idea of the intake, just ask Shaun@AED. Monoblade is preferred for most power, while the twin 65mm is a great second choice. While some Monoblade TBs have had issues, there are many on the road that drive just fine. Mine had issues; I sent it in and it's worked great since.

jn2

Established Member
Don't even get a CJ manifold if you're putting a stock GT500 throttle body on it. Completely negates the idea of the intake, just ask Shaun@AED. Monoblade is preferred for most power, while the twin 65mm is a great second choice. While some Monoblade TBs have had issues, there are many on the road that drive just fine. Mine had issues; I sent it in and it's worked great since.

Coming from a 100% stock car the swap was well worth it. I bought the car in February and the CJ manifold was on by March. I do agree though, mono blade will yield the best results while spending the most money.

KushBandit

Established Member
I don't doubt you saw great results, however you would achieve the same gains with just a Boss manifold. Mike Rousch and John Lund both told me that when I asked about the Boss manifold versus the Cobra Jet and the different throttle body choices.

They equated the stock GT500 TB on a CJ to be on par with a Boss manifold. Since the FRPP twin 65 costs the same as the FRPP Monoblade, it only makes sense to go with the one that makes the most power. The BBK twin 65 is an option, but you have to supply your own TPS sensor and actuator, AFAIK.

Not trying to knock on ya', just throwing the info out there. You should port your manifold btw!

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Great info! If I go with the cobra jet, there is no question I will get the mono blade. It seems to have the best gaines. With the right tuner, the intake seems to drive like stock even with the mono blade throttlebody.

RedRocket5.0

So I ordered these from "ATIRacingWorld USA"since they had them on sale for $220 shipped and got to say they look pretty good. I havent had the chance to completely unbox them and check them out top to bottom but from what I saw while taking the pics the welds look pretty good. Will post more pics when I get home and unwrap them

IMG_7429_zpsqib2hx7v.jpg

IMG_7432_zpsh1r0t83z.jpg

I bought these socket flanges separately to replace the catted section of my magna flow X pipe. This should allow the X pipe to mate to the ball side of the Speedmasters. Worst case I may need to trim the pipe short with a saws all if the exhaust tips end up sticking out too much.

IMG_7430_zpsr1fuzb24.jpg

I have speed master headers you'll have to put a dent in the driver to clear the steering shaft. I matched the headers with a pypes mid pipe for headers.

jn2

Established Member
Not trying to knock on ya', just throwing the info out there. You should port your manifold btw!

Yeah for sure, it does equate to about that when it comes to gains, but I was able to get my CJ set up for less than 1k intalled and tuned, the Boss alternative would of been 900 installed and tuned so it was a no brainer to go with CJ. And since I already have twin 60mm I can swap over the TPS and actuator from it if I go BBK.

I do plan on porting the manifold in the future, just need to find time to actually do it, and motivation.

Great info! If I go with the cobra jet, there is no question I will get the mono blade. It seems to have the best gaines. With the right tuner, the intake seems to drive like stock even with the mono blade throttlebody.

Yeah mono blade is nice, you could do twin 67mm too if you don't want to risk getting a bad mono blade. AED should be able to tune ya really good

Users who are viewing this thread