Spoiler Delete Ideas

hwystr

Established Member
Has anyone else chosen the "spoiler delete" option and tried to put a rear wing on instead? I'm planning to go with a Cobra R wing, just wondering if there are any unforeseen surprises with my plan.

coleman

Established Member
can i replace my spoiler even though i didn't choose the deletion option?
i do dislike the look of our spoiler ... seems very cheapish :xpl:

can i just remove it ... what will the paint look like?
is it finished? are the bolts all over the place?

i'd go for a Cobra R SPOILER!!!! :beer:

if so, let me know ... i want one!

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
i saw one with a saleen spoiler on it. It looks too wide. I believe he has pictures of it. Its a black coupe and it looks awful (sorry guy, just hate it).. I think the stock spoiler is badass.

SB 03

Established Member
haven't seen an 03 in person yet, but I like it, why in the world would you want to put an R spoiler on it:xpl:

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
The stock spoiler is the best looking one that has ever been on a stang. JMHO.

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
can i replace my spoiler even though i didn't choose the deletion option?
i do dislike the look of our spoiler ... seems very cheapish :xpl:

can i just remove it ... what will the paint look like?
is it finished? are the bolts all over the place?

That's why i ordered mine without the spoiler. There are going to be holes from the mounting of the stock spoiler that are going to need to be filled. I didnt care for the stock one at all. IMO it doesnt look good and makes the car to plain. I should have my spoiler painted and ready to go on my car as soon as i get it.

Aharon

Established Member
I really like the stock spoiler... I MEAN REALLY LIKE.

It makes the car appear very conservative.. And less kiddy ricer go fast like..

Rwick7

Established Member
I prefer 99+ cars with no spoiler...I plan on ordering my 03 without!

dcp_0004.jpg

mineral03

Established Member
Originally posted by SB 03
haven't seen an 03 in person yet, but I like it, why in the world would you want to put an R spoiler on it:xpl:
Whats wrong with the R spoiler? I originally had a mineral grey car on order (no spoiler), but ended up getting a white one with spoiler. If i didnt have to fill the unused holes on mine, id be swapping an R spoiler on. I think they look cool

Orange Poison

Established Member
The 03 stock spoiler looks great.....best Mustang spoiler IMHO

that Cobra R spoiler looks ass to me...leave it alone.

And don't even think of puttin' one of them Jack in the Box thingys on your antenna. That would really cheapen the look of your car!

Don't do it....Don't!:mj:

SB 03

Established Member
the r spoiler sticks up so dam high, you could use it as an antenna if the r had a radio, to gaudy, looks like something they just took off a super bee and threw it on there, for that money, ford could of came up with a better looking spoiler, and still be functional for down force, mho

ZXnVS

Established Member
Hey, hwystr, be sure to give us a progress update (and pictures) if you actually do this. I considered doing the same thing, but I probably won't since it would require drilling and repainting my brand new car.

I'm blown away by all the people saying the '03 spoiler is "the best looking spoiler yet." When I saw pictures of the '03, the spoiler was the only thing I didn't like. I thought it looked like a cancerous growth on the Cobra's ass (no offense to anyone, just my opinion). I'd rather have the stock GT spoiler than this one.

As for the R wing, it is very ostentatious, but it certainly can't be called rice because it is a functional wing, unlike these ridiculous "carrying handles" on all the Civics and other four-banger rice racers. If I ever remove the artificial speed limiter on the car, I'll want a functional wing.

SnkEyes

Mystical SVT Poster
Established Member
The stock spoiler looks great in person. I was learly of it until yesterday evening when I saw my first 03 up close. It makes the car look stealthy/muscle car throw-back stylish. I do think that the Saleen E-wing looks very nice as well. It looks very similar, but not as rigid and flows more smoothly. The stock spoiler will be more than adequate for me.

Update: I should have my DSG tomorrow or Wednesday; the long 7 month wait is about over. I will post pics shortly after.

Lomancobra

Established Member
Just a thought. . .
I could be wrong, but there doesnt look like there is much to the stock rear wing. I wouldnt be surprised if they just glued it on like they do with the side scoops. In that case there wouldn't be any holes. Except maybe a small one for the brake light. :rolleyes:

KingKobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Lomancobra
Just a thought. . .
I could be wrong, but there doesnt look like there is much to the stock rear wing. I wouldnt be surprised if they just glued it on like they do with the side scoops. In that case there wouldn't be any holes. Except maybe a small one for the brake light. :rolleyes:

Open the trunk, and look up, you'll see how the spoiler is mounted... It's screwed in and taped with weatherstipping/buffers to keep it from scratching the paint on the trunk, I'd imagine. :beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Lomancobra
Just a thought. . .

Like KingKobra said there are a total of 7 1/4" holes in the deck and a large slot in the rear where the 3rd brake light normally goes. Be careful removing the spoiler I had to when I was fixing the gasket coming out. The 4 bolts on the ends are recessed in very small holes and the nuts have washers attached when pulling one of the nuts out it hit the washer on the edge of the hole and fell inside my trunk lid. I need to get a magnet and try and remove it so be careful. If you want to change it you will need to replace the deck first trying to repair those holes would be practically impossible and would not last jmo. I personally like the Saleen double spoiler or Steeda race spoiler, but am keeping the factory one at lease for now.

Last edited:

david smilovic

Established Member
If I diddnt buy off the lot I would have deleted,looks a bit on the cheesy side to me.I hope to research a true 150+mph effective spoiler as I do enjoy Hi-Speed cruising and I too dont like the 03 unit,or 99.9% of spoilers I see period.Dave S.

Users who are viewing this thread