Squeek noise under acceleration, stops when clutch depressed... please help

BA21188

Established Member
Hey guys so recently one of my belts (i believe) on my 03 cobra has begun to make a squeeking noise for about 5-10 minutes until warm. It then seems to go away completely. I was planning on replacing the belt soon, and was fine with this 5-10 minute squeek in the interim. However, today on my way in to work it began to do something different. First of all it didn't have the loud initial squeek requiring 5-10 min to go away, but there was a little bit of noise. But I noticed that this little bit of noise didn't go away this time (30 minute commute to work). It wouldn't make the noise in neutral, but the noise would occur under acceleration. It seems to get louder in proportion to the acceleration. (Even at it's loudest its not as loud as the 5-10 minute belt squeel I intially had and was ok with til belt replaced.. but it was audible). When I would push the clutch in it would go away, and when I stopped accelerating and would coast in gear it seemed to diminish the squeek in proportion to the rpms.

Centerforce DFX clutch was just installed 800 miles ago. My biggest worry is that it is clutch related since the noise stops when I push in the clutch. Could it just be the belt needing replacement? Any thoughts on what it could be/most likely is?

Thanks guys.

asierra1

Established Member
Could be the tob. Mine squeals at idle just a bit, but goes away after a bit and when I push in the clutch. I recently did a clutch install as well. Make sure its properly adjusted. From what I've gathered through searching, the tob should just barely rest on the pp. hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject chimes in.

Sent from my iPhone while killing America's enemies with pure awesomeness

franks98_coBra

Established Member
i say throw out bearing too. mine squeaks but goes away when i do the "self adjustment" to the clutch pedal. i need to invest in a firewall wall adjuster.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
tob if its coming from the transmission. mine did the opposite of most ppl.. mine only squeeked when i pushed the clutch in. changed it, old one was real bad.

BA21188

Established Member
Ok, I had a firewall adjuster installed when the clutch was installed as well. So is the solution here to turn the firewall adjuster to adjust the clutch so that the TOB isn't contacting the pressure plate quite as much? Is it normal for this adjustment to have to be made at the firewall from time to time or else this noise will occur?

franks98_coBra

Established Member
this might be a stupid question but im going to ask anyways. did you get a quadrant with that firewall adjuster?
I bought a brand new ram clutch and ford racing tob and after 1000 miles it started squeaking.

BA21188

Established Member
Yes quadrant as well. Still curious about my previous post/question if anyone can help.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
after i changed my tob, it made a chirp when i pressed or released the clutch pedal, cant remember which one. but it quit after a week.

BA21188

Established Member
Ok guys so just got home from work.... long day... but anyway, I've got an update. It seems in my worried state and having to get to work on time this morning I failed to look into it enough to properly advise you of the symptoms. On the plus side, I think I figured it out. So it turns out the squeak would occur whether the clutch was pushed in, out all the way, the car was in gear, or in neutral, but only when the engine rpm's went above 2,500. This leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with the TOB or new centerforce clutch at all, but is one of the belts instead. I stopped about 3 miles from home and poured some water on both belts ( I know, should have done them separately to be sure which one) and the problem was instantly gone.

Very obvious question but does this seem as though I have found the culprit and need not worry about the TOB? If so, new belts or use belt conditioner on them?

Also, I've had an irregular idle lately.. occasionally bouncing from 800rpm down to 500 and back up again.... could this need for a new belt explain the idle issue as well?

Thanks a lot guys.

asierra1

Established Member
If one of your belts is slipping, you should see belt dust. Rub your finger under the belts and the one that turns your finger black is the culprit.

Not sure about that idle issue though

Sent from my iPhone while killing America's enemies with pure awesomeness

BA21188

Established Member
Hey guys didn't want this to be a thread without a solution... so I replaced the accessory belt and that was the culprit.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread