SRA not centered

ram4whldrr

Established Member
I purchased a 03 Cobra a couple months ago. The car has a SRA swap and I just realized the other day that the passenger side drag radial is being cut (very slightly by the rolled fender). Upon further investigation I noticed the passenger tire is almost flush with the passenger fender and the driver side tire is tucked in to the fender. I'm new to the mustangs so I'm not sure how to center the rear axle. Can somebody please help me.....

mdrc347

Established Member
I purchased a 03 Cobra a couple months ago. The car has a SRA swap and I just realized the other day that the passenger side drag radial is being cut (very slightly by the rolled fender). Upon further investigation I noticed the passenger tire is almost flush with the passenger fender and the driver side tire is tucked in to the fender. I'm new to the mustangs so I'm not sure how to center the rear axle. Can somebody please help me.....

I think this is normal. Mine is like this also. However, yours sounds worse. My passenger side tire sticks out approx 1/2" farther than the other. I am unaware of any way to adjust it, but it doesn't really bother me.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I think this is normal. Mine is like this also. However, yours sounds worse. My passenger side tire sticks out approx 1/2" farther than the other. I am unaware of any way to adjust it, but it doesn't really bother me.

It doesn't bother you? Damn wish I had such low expectations.

TRBO VNM

Panhard bar setup might help. And you can take it a sept further and put a torq arm on and remove the upper control arms.

Luckily mine "appears" fine from looking at it, but I have seen other cars that it is very clear from looking behind the car that they are off centered.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Mines off fender a bit too not that bad.not sure at this time what side sticks out more but is not cutting the tire.I got a 97 built 8.8 with HR 25mm wheel spacers.

mustang john

Established Member
You can center the rear end some if you have double adjustable uppers. i was also able to center mine very nicely when i installed my Baseline uppers with their Trac Locator bar.

Swervedriver

Established Member
They're all like this. Mustang John is right, you can center it up by shortening one of the UCAs but you have to pay close attention that you don't put anything in a bind or whack the pinion angle up.

ram4whldrr

Established Member
Can somebody please explain to me how I would be able to adjust the axle right to left in the car with the adjustable upper control arms. I have been thinking about it and as I study the geometry it seems like it would angle the axle one way or another if I were to try to move it over using them.

Swervedriver

Established Member
Lengthen one UCA, shorten the other until it is located where you want. Then measure wheel base and adjust that with the LCAs. Then set pinion angle.

Drive it around to get everything settled, then check everything again and adjust as you desire.

Depending what control arms you're using you can put things in a bind and create a very unresponsive rear suspension. Your best bet is to make small compromises where possible. If it's only 1/4" off, can you live with that?

Last edited:

ram4whldrr

Established Member
Lengthen one UCA, shorten the other until it is located where you want. Then measure wheel base and adjust that with the LCAs. Then set pinion angle.

Drive it around to get everything settled, then check everything again and adjust as you desire.

Depending what control arms you're using you can put things in a bind and create a very unresponsive rear suspension. Your best bet is to make small compromises where possible. If it's only 1/4" off, can you live with that?

Absolutely. The problem is it's currently flush on the passenger side and I don't know exactly how far in on the driver side. I just need to get it moved over some so it's not rubbing the fender any longer and tearing up my passenger side tire.

horspla2000

Established Member
I have an SRA swap and I haven't noticed this. I had to go out in the garage and look just now. Visiually it looks perfect as far as I can see. I have non-adjustable aftermarket LCA's and stock uppers. If it is off, its gotta be REAL slight.

jfsram

Established Member
Before you adjust anything. You need to confirm it's indeed the axle not centered and not from tolerences in the body.

You need to centerline the car. Either with a 4 wheel alignment machine or a nice flat floor, plumb bobs, chalk line, giant squares and a measuring tape.

BTW adjustable upper control arms are for adjusting pinion angle. NOT forcing the housing to one side. Each pair of arms should be the same length.

ctgreddy

Established Member
^in regaurd to your last comment it sounds like the op's upper ca's are not the same length right now, causing it to sit uneven. I just did my sra swap last week with double adjustable basline uppers and single adjust lowers. I set the lowers to the same length and did the same on the uppers. after install i sat the car on the ground and did a lot of measurments and my rear is perfectly centered both left/right and forward and backwards. if yours isn't centered and the upper ca's are indeed the same length, then something else is tweeked, more than likely the body itself imo

ram4whldrr

Established Member
Turned out the uppers were not the same length. I adjusted them to where they were exactly the same length and now the rear axle sits just about perfect. One of the jam nuts on one arm had come loose so I am expecting this had something to do with it.

ctgreddy

Established Member
sounds like it was a simple fix then, i will be checking my jam nuts every oil change on the cobra, on my old '95 i did this, had a similar set up and every now and then one of the nuts wouldn't be as tight as it was, must be the shock of launching it must want to loosen them or something so i'm sure to always check them.

Users who are viewing this thread