SRT Viper production paused

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
This was partly discussed prior in someone's Viper thread in the pics and vids section but it was blown off....

Chrysler Pauses Production of SRT Viper ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

After slowing production of the SRT Viper from nine units per day to six last fall, Chrysler is temporarily halting Viper production altogether for two months, apparently to relieve a glut in unsold cars. The Connor Avenue Assembly plant where the hand-built, $100K-plus Viper is made will stop production beginning the week of April 14th. The plant’s 91 hourly workers will be laid off for that period of time and not reassigned, although they will be brought back when plant operations resume on June 23, according to Chrysler.

Only 91 Vipers were sold in January and February of this year, hardly on pace to meet Chrysler’s initial 1600-unit annual sales projection. Historically, Vipers don’t sell well in winter—and this has been a particularly Viper-unfriendly winter in most of these United States. But could it also be that—somebody’s gotta say it—there’s just not that much demand for such an expensive sports car offered by the young SRT brand, which has virtually no equity yet? Or maybe Viper’s target buyers heard about just how good the new Chevy Corvette Z06 is, and how the Z06 will remain under $100K with all the boxes checked.

Speaking to us this week at the 2014 Chrysler 200 media drive in Louisville, Chrysler spokesman Rick Deneau tried to present the situation in a different light. “Others have said that [the production pause is] due to lack of orders. We have not said that.” Customer and dealer demand for the SRT Viper continues “at expected levels,” he said. “The Viper was never intended to sell like a Corvette.”

Chrysler manufacturing spokesperson Jodi Tinson offered a silver lining to the production stoppage. “We’re trying to satisfy our customers’ desire to keep their vehicles exclusive,” she said. “We didn’t want to make too many of them. This will help us manage our production to keep that level of exclusivity.”

We want to go on the record and say that we love the Viper and were stoked that Chrysler brought it back after its Dodge-branded predecessor was discontinued in 2010. But perhaps a little soul-searching might be in order for the Viper’s product planners if it hopes to stay around much longer.

03 deadpool

Established Member
I read a article a few months back that engineers " hid" 10 million of bail out money to revamp the car in 2009. It was automobile magazines article about the new viper.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
At the end of the day the Viper falls between two established niches but fails at both. It competes in the performance for dollar segment but doesn't do it as well as the corvette and is priced a decent bit higher. At the same time, that pricing starts putting it in exotic territory. It doesn't have the prestige and notoriety attached to it to make somebody want to spend 6 figures.

IMHO to save the Viper it needs to become more user friendly and shed is bloated price tag. The current car should be priced around what a loaded Z would go for. Figure 80 thousand or around that territory. I think Chrysler would do well with it if they could offer a trim level that dropped into the 60k range.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
2014 SRT Viper GTS Review - Autoblog

Autoblog did a review of the 2014 GTS and the as-tested price was $140K. Just seems ridiculous to pay that as compared to a fully loaded Z06. If "exclusivity" is SRT's sole argument for the price premium then they can have it and I'll drive home my new Z06 while the other $60K invests.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
You guys are spot on. the Gen IV Viper started at around 85k. Hell, a good frend of mine worked a deal to 85K for a 2009 ACR brand new! There is no reason for a car like Viper to reach $140k.

Jaysin

Established Member
They look sooooooooo awesome. I would drive the **** out of one.

Same here, I do agree they are overpriced though. Local Dodge dealer has a Red one in the showroom and a black one with a different set of wheels and I drool over them both. If money was no object I would absolutely buy one, but I don't have that kind of money anyway. I hope they don't kill them off completely, but they really should reconsider the pricing once you're talking in the 130-140k range that's just out of hand. Still love them though.

WolfPackST

Banned
The only number you need to look at are - SALES. Dealer lots of filled with 2013 Vipers and now 2014 Vipers will sit, why? Because SRT just announced that the 2015 model will be getting a face lift.

The problem with this Viper is simple: it's an evolution, not a revolution. They basically tweaked the old car, gave it new skin, some nicer leather & stereo and tried to steal 911 buyers. Do I love this car? Yes. Is it worth 140k? The market seems to think no.

This thing is Mike Tyson wearing a suit. I don't want it in a suit. I want it with a ripped towel over it's head. SRT should have made it more raw, more wild AND give the owners the chance to modify it...the car is basically dead to the mod community. A shelby GT500 with a tune will pull away from one.

Again, great car. Just not worth 140K for what it is...a brute force machine.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I have a client that owns a jeep/dodge dealership up north. He said Dodge makes him take 2 vipers a year. The market he is in can not sell them. He still has the 13 that they had to take and just got a 14. Both sticker 130k + and are not even fully loaded. He said they have the 13 listed at 115k and still can't move it. Sad.... I always liked the Viper, but not at the prices now!

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
EVERYTHING Dodge, Chrysler, SRT related is overpriced and generally fails hard at something.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
On top of the fact that its overpriced from what ive read these cars have horrible build quality. Not to mention a claustrophic, death trap like interior where you have to fold your body into a pretzel to get in and out of it.

Still not sure why its not considered a "dodge" anymore and i dont think anyone recognizes SRT as a legitimate brand.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
On top of the fact that its overpriced from what ive read these cars have horrible build quality. Not to mention a claustrophic, death trap like interior where you have to fold your body into a pretzel to get in and out of it.

Still not sure why its not considered a "dodge" anymore and i dont think anyone recognizes SRT as a legitimate brand.

Got to sit in one at our local dealer the other day. Wow I was not impressed with the interior build quality. I do agree its a amazing piece of art but not the best build quality, i'd rather have a r8 v10 any day.

Sick03Vert

Banned
That's what they get for overpricing it.

^x65000

That car is $60k - $80k material. No more.

It's a beautiful design, but six figures? Hell no. I just wish there weren't so many Corvette nut-huggers out there to keep buying up the new ZR1's at their insane cost as well. But hey, a fool and his money soon part.

Users who are viewing this thread