SS kill and a question

Mowgli

Established Member
Sorry this is short. I spent forever typing in a nice long eloquent and descriptive narrative and it ate my post!!! Arrrg.

So, long story short: I raced an SS tonight. Pulled it and passed it (starting from behind) by fourth gear. Good race, great fun, cool guy.

Here's the question: We started out in same lane at light (me behind) so I had a good long time to look at his rear. His exhaust was funny. It was four squarish pipes exiting center.

Also on the left, just above the bumper were little letters: SLP.

Whats SLP? Does it have something to do with the exhaust?

StangD281

Established Member
SLP is the company that manufacturers the performance parts on the SS upgrade. Street Legal Performance (SLP) is what I believe it stands for. They make an airbox lid, exhaust, and various other items. $4000 package on the SS.

Ebbsnflows

Established Member
Nice kill.....those '03s seem to be strong runners. It'll be interesting to see how far the tuners can take them.
I'll definitely be keeping my eye on them. :)

blackfang

Established Member
Nice Kill.
If I am not mistaken Chevy makes the Regular SS. SLP offers an upgrade above the SS. You can get the SS grill emblem, SS key fob, and Camaro SS dash plaque, and floor mats, SLP's dual dual exhaust, and 2 different types of chrome rims. You can have all thos upgrades with a choice of rims, or you can choose what you want. I was at Bennet Chevrolet in sept. 00 and for an 01 SS with all the slp options it was like 2000 dollars more then the 32K sticker price.
Now that exhaust could have been an SLP exhaust, a corsa, lingenfelter, or some other brands. Quite a few companies make the quad exhaust. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Always good to know stuff about the competition.

I'll say the SLP SS looked really really nice. Very professionally done. The car was black, and one thing I can appreciate is the effort it takes to make a black car shine and look nice (my last car was black on black). Cleaned up, there's nothing better.

I'm proud of my car, in that it let me reel that baby in from behind, especially given the fact that I did two lane changes, missed the 2-3 shift, and damn near ground it off in my frustration to get the shift in gear. LOL. Rookie move. I need that adjustable handle.

I have to take my hats off to the Chevy guys in that Camaro, I was cringing after the race waiting for them to pull up along side. Expected an earful of laughter for grinding the gears, but they just gave me a thumbs up, turned off, and didn't mention it.

Last edited:

the_mustang

Established Member
Originally posted by Mowgli

Yeah, I ground it good. Taught that 3rd gear who was boss.
You must still have the factory shifter like me.
I have to make sure that I ram it into 3rd. If I get lazy I can hear 3rd becoming "cheese".

Cullen & others.. didn't you guys change shifters to something else?

StangD281

Established Member
Steeda Triax....."Guaranteed to never miss the 2-3 shift"

However, it's happened twice in my presence & it wasn't driver error. It just gets a little notchy every now & then.

Carlitos

Established Member
Originally posted by blackfang
Nice Kill.
If I am not mistaken Chevy makes the Regular SS. SLP offers an upgrade above the SS. You can get the SS grill emblem, SS key fob, and Camaro SS dash plaque, and floor mats, SLP's dual dual exhaust, and 2 different types of chrome rims. You can have all thos upgrades with a choice of rims, or you can choose what you want. I was at Bennet Chevrolet in sept. 00 and for an 01 SS with all the slp options it was like 2000 dollars more then the 32K sticker price.
Now that exhaust could have been an SLP exhaust, a corsa, lingenfelter, or some other brands. Quite a few companies make the quad exhaust. Hope this helps.

Actually, the "Regular SS" by Chevy is the Z28. Chevy sends Z28s to SLP, and SLP puts together an SS package depending on what the dealer and/or customer wants.

Mowgli Nice kill! I'm getting more and more scared of these new Cobras every day. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up next summer and park it next to my SS. :-D

'Los

blackfang

Established Member
Actually, the "Regular SS" by Chevy is the Z28. Chevy sends Z28s to SLP, and SLP puts together an SS package depending on what the dealer and/or customer wants.

Ahh ok. Then i wonder why they send it back to SLP to get the SLP parts added on. Then again Bennett Chevrolet was not known to be smart. LOL. No wonder the destination charge was horrendous.

I put the Tri ax in my 99 and 97 cobra's and never have any missed 2-3 shifts.

Users who are viewing this thread