ST thoughts

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
Hey all, Im an owner of a 2016 explorer sport and love the SUV - i was excited when i started looking about buying an ST out there. I finally got to test drive an ST locally (2020) but was really disappointed in the engine as low torque easing into the gas- felt like a 4cyl chevy cruise as you hear the little engine (through the firewall) trying to build power to move forward. I know they went from my 3.5 to a new designed 3.0 l but just seemed lack luster. is there anyone here that went from a 2013-2016 to a newer ST.. any regrets? Thanks!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Explorer isn't light, of course, but the 3.0 motor pumps out 400 hp and 415 tq. That's not shabby. I'm a little surprised you were disappointed with low-end torque. First time I've heard a complaint about the motor. Here are a couple of threads of interest for you.

You know about Sport mode, of course.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Im surprised to hear that too. Having an edge ST that things has balls, especially in sport mode. I had some interest in explore ST. Before pricing went all crazy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're right, Sid, a tune really improves the performance, but even stock, the power plant is impressive. Like Allen said, it's all the more impressive in Sport mode where off throttle response is vastly improved.
Explorer ST really benefits from a tune. The 3.0L EcoBoost is a serious engine, but it a pain to work on (around the turbos) in the Explorer.

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
Thanks guys, just compared to my 3.5 seems like more to be desired but I’m willing to give it a shot and maybe a tune will set me right. Don’t get my wrong I think the design and interior are great !!

Mustang5L5

Established Member
How are the transmissions on the ST? I've read of a lot of failures of the 2020's (explorer in general) and just wondering if that continues to be a thing with the 2021 and 2022's?

How is the 3.0 in terms of longevity?

Considering one for the wife. She needs a new Soccermom-mobile and I want something a bit less bland. I'd like something we can keep for 10 years so i don't want to worry too much about needing to replace turbos at 125K miles.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
How are the transmissions on the ST? I've read of a lot of failures of the 2020's (explorer in general) and just wondering if that continues to be a thing with the 2021 and 2022's?

How is the 3.0 in terms of longevity?

Considering one for the wife. She needs a new Soccermom-mobile and I want something a bit less bland. I'd like something we can keep for 10 years so i don't want to worry too much about needing to replace turbos at 125K miles.

There were a few 2020s that had transmission issues, but like anything, the issue is usually overblown. Most of the issues you heard about 2020 models (flex pipe issues, back-up camera issues, etc) were fixed by 2021.

There are many many people running E50 tunes (and more getting E85 as a solid fuel pump upgrade back available recently) and nothing more, and going mid 11s with no issues. The 3.0 should be pretty stout.

The car uses to 10R60, so if you go beyond the E50/E85 and get upgraded turbos, you will need a transmission rebuild.

One issues that has popped up on 2021 builds is a change to the rear subframe. There used to be 4 bolts holding the diff (2 front, 2 in the back) and now there are 3 (only 1 in the back). There has been some failures of that bolt (which leads to lots of other damage), but it's been guys with E50 tunes (note, and E50 tune is going from roughly 350awhp/400 awtq stock to 520 awhp/540 awtq) launching their cars. Some people have had it replaced with the 4 bolt subframe, but there is a diff support bracket available to help the issue.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think you'll like it. Have you actually test driven an ST? If not, you should. I recommend two test drives.

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
I have a '22 ST and absolutely love it. Power is great for a heavy SUV. Once you put it in sport mode you wont go back to normal mode.
So far I have ordered H&R springs and Bora spacers. The spacers should be here this week so I can finally get all of that installed.
I plan on getting a ZFG tune and an exhaust over the summer or in the fall.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
So far I have ordered H&R springs and Bora spacers. The spacers should be here this week so I can finally get all of that installed.
I'd highly recommend the Steeda rear sway bar. Massive improvement in handling and reducing the side to side wallowing. Do it when you do the exhaust because you need to remove the mufflers for access.

Not sure if you decided on an exhaust but the Thermal R&D is very nice. I'm happy with it.

patc84

Established Member
Just did the sway bar on my 19 sport, holy shit, what a difference. Noticed right away.

def rec.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a '22 ST and absolutely love it. Power is great for a heavy SUV. Once you put it in sport mode you wont go back to normal mode.
How much power (to the wheels) are you expecting with the ZFG tune?

Mustang5L5

Established Member
I think you'll like it. Have you actually test driven an ST? If not, you should. I recommend two test drives.

Nope. Trying to find one to test drive. One dealer has one and it’s in the showroom so can’t drive it unless I want to pay the $5k markup and buy it. It’s not the color I want.

Patiently waiting to find a used one I can test drive when the weather gets a bit better. I’m just doing my research now.

I’ve drive the 20+ explorers. I’m just not a fan of the 2.3 engine in them. I’ve kinda settled on the limited or ST and I really love the look of the ST with the 21” wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
How much power (to the wheels) are you expecting with the ZFG tune?

ZFG is the absolute best choice for this car. When he gets CARB approval next quarter, I'll be grabbing that tune, but for 91. :(

Like was posted, 430ish hp/500ish tq on 93. But the real fun is if you can swing E50/E85. 540ish hp with E50, and consistent mid to low 11s. I haven't seen enough dynos of E85, as it wasn't long ago a good HPFP/injector combo was released. It was better to run E50 until the new FP package came out.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
ZFG is the absolute best choice for this car. When he gets CARB approval next quarter, I'll be grabbing that tune, but for 91. :(

Like was posted, 430ish hp/500ish tq on 93. But the real fun is if you can swing E50/E85. 540ish hp with E50, and consistent mid to low 11s. I haven't seen enough dynos of E85, as it wasn't long ago a good HPFP/injector combo was released. It was better to run E50 until the new FP package came out.

What’s the story on the Trans with these Tunes?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Now this will be great a Carb appoved tune for the ST.

Users who are viewing this thread