Stalling issue - Need some ideas

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
I had a strange issue happen to me yesterday. I had the car idling with the AC on while me and my wife got our baby in the car seat. After a couple minutes, the car sounded like it was starving for fuel and died. I tried to restart it and all it would do was crank but not start, as if it were out of fuel even though I had a full tank.

I tried reloading the tune, thinking maybe it was some kind of learned idle issue and I could reset the ECM that way. The tune flashed and I had no issues at all on the 1.5 hour trip to the gulf coast. As soon as I got to gulfport and pulled into a parking lot to call some friends we were meeting the car died again. I figured I'd try reflashing it again and it errored out in the middle of it. I got the error message "flashing failed, if car does not start return to stock". I tried returning it to stock, but it would still error out as soon as the SCT programmer started flashing it to the ecm. After posting on a couple facebook groups a couple people suggested disconnecting the battery, replacing the battery or maybe I had a bad alternator. I tried disconnecting the battery first, but that didn't help. I went to the parts store and bought a new battery. After replacing it, I returned the car to stock, then reflashed the AED tune. It started right up and I figured the battery had to be the issue.

On the trip home with the new battery in the car, I had to pull over to get our baby to stop crying and while idling the car stalled again. I had to go through the whole returning the car to stock and then reloading the tune to get it back home. I put my OBD2 bluetooth dongle in and used that to verify that my alternator was producing voltage and it is, 14.1ish the whole time. This morning I tried to get the issue to reoccur. I still haven't been able to.

I datalogged it trying to spot anything out of the ordinary but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'll send the datalog to anyone that would be willing to look at it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Basic info:
2013 GT
39k miles
Manual Trans
Basic bolt on mods
No stored codes on the ECM

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I JUST!!! was talking to someone locally today, hrs ago actually who had the same exact issue. And there is 1 thing I read both of you share in common besides your stalling issue. Could be shit load of different things tho.

Last edited:

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Maybe a failing pump or failing 02's. Is this car on pump gas? Have you check the tune with Shaun?

What do the plugs look like?

The whole failing to upload the tune has nothing to do with the tune itself. SCT is garbage.

If the battery power is too low it won't upload. Or if you have anything on and the voltage drops it will fail i.e crack a window,open door, map light, music, etc. The handheld needs a certain consistent voltage to complete the upload.

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Maybe a failing pump or failing 02's. Is this car on pump gas? Have you check the tune with Shaun?

What do the plugs look like?

The whole failing to upload the tune has nothing to do with the tune itself. SCT is garbage.

If the battery power is too low it won't upload. Or if you have anything on and the voltage drops it will fail i.e crack a window,open door, map light, music, etc. The handheld needs a certain consistent voltage to complete the upload.

Yeah, lots of ppl dont know when reflash or flashing a tune to make sure EVERYTHING is off and not running.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Before 02s go bad or completely fail, the car tends to act really funny along the way.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Very strange issue, I really doubt it is a failing pump. They don't just get re energized and come back to life for a short amount of time.

It does sound sort of like a software issue, But really could be a lot of things.

lpheaven

Established Member
Not sure about the stall (IAC maybe ? Sounds like an idle issue - not sure) but ive had sct crap out on me changing tunes. I either just kept trying or waited til everything cooled off a bit and no issues. Maybe your filters are dirty ?

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
Well the car died again on the way to lunch. This is getting old fast. After the car dies it won't restart just turns over until I turn the key back.

CPRsm

That's a wierd one. Even a stalling issue from a tune restarts no problem. I'd check for spark when it won't restart. Ford has had some issues w the crank pick ups. That knocks out fuel and spark

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
That's a wierd one. Even a stalling issue from a tune restarts no problem. I'd check for spark when it won't restart. Ford has had some issues w the crank pick ups. That knocks out fuel and spark
Thats very true.

OP. Have you had any work on the car regarding the ckp sensor? Maybe its loose?

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I had a strange issue happen to me yesterday. I had the car idling with the AC on while me and my wife got our baby in the car seat. After a couple minutes, the car sounded like it was starving for fuel and died. I tried to restart it and all it would do was crank but not start, as if it were out of fuel even though I had a full tank.

I tried reloading the tune, thinking maybe it was some kind of learned idle issue and I could reset the ECM that way. The tune flashed and I had no issues at all on the 1.5 hour trip to the gulf coast. As soon as I got to gulfport and pulled into a parking lot to call some friends we were meeting the car died again. I figured I'd try re-flashing it again and it errored out in the middle of it. I got the error message "flashing failed, if car does not start return to stock". I tried returning it to stock, but it would still error out as soon as the SCT programmer started flashing it to the ecm. After posting on a couple Facebook groups a couple people suggested disconnecting the battery, replacing the battery or maybe I had a bad alternator. I tried disconnecting the battery first, but that didn't help. I went to the parts store and bought a new battery. After replacing it, I returned the car to stock, then re-flashed the AED tune. It started right up and I figured the battery had to be the issue.

On the trip home with the new battery in the car, I had to pull over to get our baby to stop crying and while idling the car stalled again. I had to go through the whole returning the car to stock and then reloading the tune to get it back home. I put my OBD2 Bluetooth dongle in and used that to verify that my alternator was producing voltage and it is, 14.1ish the whole time. This morning I tried to get the issue to reoccur. I still haven't been able to.

I data-logged it trying to spot anything out of the ordinary but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'll send the data-log to anyone that would be willing to look at it.

Anyone got any ideas?
Hello BDFabrizio,

You bring it in to your dealer and have them check it out. Your service manager is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha

Users who are viewing this thread